E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Weird variety of issues

05-29-2020, 03:12 PM   #1
bustede90
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 328xi

Weird variety of issues

So I have recently began having a wide variety of issues with my '08 328xi.

When I originally purchased the vehicle last fall it had no issues at all and drove perfectly ~118k miles. After a couple weeks of normal driving a loud knocking noise developed coming from the front left wheel-well. I had no idea what it was but it was not impacting driving at all and I was away at college so I just left it alone until I returned home from school. The issue was fixed by getting a new set of tires, so I assume uneven wear was causing some sort of issue in the drive train.

For the next couple of months the car was back to normal and driving great except I noticed that I was getting a slightly irregular idle in drive and reverse when the car was stopped (at stoplights and backing out of driveway). So I did some research and found that cleaning the vanos solenoids might do the trick and the job looked super easy. So I took out both solenoids cleaned them and put them back in. The rough idle was fixed and I was ecstatic; however, a few days later while driving up a rather steep hill a light appeared on my dash of a car on a lift and the car went into limp mode. Here is where the nightmare begins.

I drove my car home and the next day when I went to start it the car did not turn over and the first attempt. Second attempt was also rough but it started with a check engine light on. I scanned the code and it said camshaft position sensor short and something about an an engine speed sensor. I replaced the camshaft position sensor, and now the issue is far worse. The car turns over and starts perfectly but idles insanely badly and dies a few seconds after being started. There is also a significant issue with the lurch while accelerating and the car just dies at stop lights. All of this is happening with no lights consistently staying on but I have gotten a CEL, ABS Light and 4x4 light all coming on at the same time, but they are gone the next time I start the car. Any guidance would be appreciated.

I'm thinking that its possible that there is an issue with the transfer case? or maybe just need to replace the VANOS soilenoids. I am sort of trapped at school right now and would rather not have to take my car to a shop before I get home (approx 200 miles) and am in need of any sort of guidance. Thanks a lot if you took the time to read all of this!
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2020, 06:25 AM   #2
BashShah
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i Sedan

Clean Vanos, and swap them.
Cheap and Easy.
Also Post your codes.

Appreciate 0
      05-31-2020, 01:49 PM   #3
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

You may need new VANOS solenoids. But first, clean and swap places of the units (i.e. move the intake solenoid to the exhaust side and vice versa). Faulty solenoids will throw a camshaft sensor code. Second, search for the DIY guide to cleaning the VANOS anti-drain valves. They are on the right side of the cylinderhead at the front on the same plane as the solenoid valves. If they get dirty and clog, they can cause drivability issues. Most likely they are clean, but it's an easy check to eliminate as a fault. If that doesn't help, then new solenoids are probably the fix.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0