E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Cannot get garage door to register with opener in the car.

07-17-2006, 06:27 AM   #23
azzurribaggio
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2004 330ci E46/2006 325i E90

So my garage door opener has this:

"

CodeDodger® Access Security System is a digital code changing system used by Overhead Door® garage door openers to prevent someone from "grabbing" a radio signal that openers your door.
• Prevents illegal entry from remote controller access code signal duplication.
• Eliminates need to set security code when opener is installed. Each remote controller comes with its own continually changing access code.
• Automatically changes access code each time remote controller is activated. Each new code is selected from 4.3 billion combinations.
• Prohibits opener from responding to the same access code more than once.
• Recognizes access codes from up to seven remote controllers used to operate the same openers."

So do I have to do this "learn" process for my e90 to finally work?
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2006, 12:01 PM   #24
SoYank
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by azzurribaggio

"

CodeDodger® Access Security System is a digital code changing system used by Overhead Door® garage door openers to prevent someone from "grabbing" a radio signal that openers your door.
• Eliminates need to set security code when opener is installed. Each remote controller comes with its own continually changing access code.
• Automatically changes access code each time remote controller is activated. Each new code is selected from 4.3 billion combinations.
• Recognizes access codes from up to seven remote controllers used to operate the same openers."

OK, maybe a tad OT but if the code changes each time a remote is activated, how does the secondary controller know to use the new code?
Quaife ATB LSD • Short Shift Knob • Hartge Anti-Roll Bars • AP Racing Front Brakes • 19" Style 269
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2006, 12:50 PM   #25
Asiann
Got Seoul?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 535i MSport

Garage List
2012 BMW 535i  [0.00]
2008 750Li  [0.00]
2006 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:

"

Yes!
      09-17-2006, 07:15 PM   #26
tman
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 i3 BEV

Garage List
2014 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxE91
I had trouble too. What finally worked for me was holding the transmitter a couple inches behind the rearview mirror (between the mirror and windshield).
THANKS! Finally got mine to work. And all I had to do was hold it between and windshield the the rearview mirror! Bloody retarded is what it is.

2014 I01 i3 BEV
2011 E91 328i xDRIVE TOURING
| 2010 F83 X3 3.0i xDRIVE | 2006 E90 330i 6MT (Ret)
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2006, 04:19 AM   #27
azzurribaggio
Second Lieutenant
Rep

So I tried syncing up my "learn" button as well after syncing the remote to the homelink on the car.
Nothing still....anyone have anymore tips? I'd love to use this feature on my $40K plus car
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2006, 12:26 PM   #28
Asiann
Got Seoul?
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW 535i  [0.00]
2008 750Li  [0.00]
2006 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALIF65GM
What brand is the garage door opener?

Many newer models use a rolling code for security reasons. If yours has a rolling code then you need the car to synch/learn the rolling code. You'll need to get to the "Learn" button on the garage door drive motor.
That's what worked for my truck since I don't have the Homelink but I do on the SUV. The reset button reprograms the garage door codes and good to do if you move into a place that is not new and had previous tenants. Don't want anyone stealing your stuff as well as your car!
      12-03-2006, 01:42 PM   #29
firstkill
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e93

azzurribaggio :

are you sure the home link is picking up the garage remote?

If you are sure about that according to the lights blinking then it should work.

When you press the learning button on the back of the garage unit. Press the button you programmed rapidly UNTIL the garage door closes... should do it within 20 times

fk
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2006, 02:32 PM   #30
Kablemodem
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 e90 335

I tried to set mine up yesterday. The learn button on the garage door until says it must be pressed at the same time as the button on the remote (or the homelink button), not one after the other as stated in the manual. I didn't bother trying after that as I will wait until I have someone to help me tomorrow.
      12-03-2006, 04:11 PM   #31
Asiann
Got Seoul?
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW 535i  [0.00]
2008 750Li  [0.00]
2006 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
So I tried syncing up my "learn" button as well after syncing the remote to the homelink on the car.
Nothing still....anyone have anymore tips? I'd love to use this feature on my $40K plus car
You have about 8 sec from pressing the learn button and then hit the button on the homelink.
      12-03-2006, 04:43 PM   #32
firstkill
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e93

I kept my car in the garage so the garage door doesnt close on it....

then i hit the learn button with a stick and run in the car and press the homelink button until the door does something.

fk
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2006, 08:57 PM   #33
azzurribaggio
Second Lieutenant
Rep

UGH!!!! Am I the only one who can't get this to work!!!

I tried pressing the "code" button on the garage door motor then pressing the homelink #1 button (not at the same time mind you) The LED never blinks rapidly, so I assume it never learns the code from the unit.
I even tried pressing the homelink #1 buttong a few times as suggested by some other people on this threat but still no success. I always erased the Homelink unit prior to every test by pressing the two outer most buttons until the LED starts to blink.

I figured this would work because last week when I first discovered the "code" button I pressed it too long which erased the code on my other remotes. So I read the manual and it instructed me to press the "code" button once then hold the remote near the motor and press the button. This will reprogram the remote with the new code from the main unit, I was able to reprogram both remotes this way, so I figured I could do the same method with the homelink unit on the E90 Guess not!!!

Please someone tell me what I am doing wrong!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2007, 12:07 AM   #34
scottwww
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 BMW 335i, 15 Infiniti Q60S

After trying to figure out why the homelink LED wasn't lighting up to start programing it, finally I started the engine, and then it would work. From this point, it wan't difficult to program it for my Chamberlain Whisper Drive HD800D.

It's annoying that the buttons do absolutely nothing until the engine is started.

This is probably a security feature so that garage doors, remote controlled house locks, etc. are secure even if the car doors are unlocked and a thief gets into the car and starts pressing buttons. I tried turning on accessories without starting the engine (I would think this should make the door opener work). But no go.

When the car is in the garage, I just don't like starting the engine with the garage door down. I guess I could open the garage door from the wall switch, but I have always sat down in the car before opening the garage door. Has anybody figured this out without just using the remote that came with the door opener? Maybe I just missed a feature somewhere.
      02-10-2007, 08:44 PM   #35
lkevinl
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '07 335i 4dr Sport+Premium+Nav

Love this site! Behind the mirror worked wonders!
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2007, 09:22 AM   #36
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
Should be interesting when I get my new E90... I won't have a programmed hand-held to use. I guess I will have to go throught the intermidiate step of programming my hand-held remote, and then use it to program the Homelink in the car.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2007, 04:01 AM   #37
Ucan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Thanks so much whomever found out that behind the mirror does the job! Additional thanks for posting this info as well. Biggest thanks would go for anyone who lets BMW know that this should be included in the owners manual as the correct/alternative way of pairing the remote controls.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2007, 08:48 PM   #38
khoda355
Captain
Rep
Drives: EG hatch/ E90

yah no... has not worked for me and i have worked and worked on it.. never any luck...
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2007, 11:56 PM   #39
scottwww
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 BMW 335i, 15 Infiniti Q60S

Simple question. But it was the first thing I had overlooked for some agravating several minutes. Have you started the engine?
      03-18-2007, 12:16 AM   #40
MB330
Major
Rep
Drives: 330i

Garage List
2018 BMW 330i  [0.00]
2006 E90 330i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by azzurribaggio View Post
I had the same problem.
Spend two evenings to make it work, finally it's work now.
1. Get fresh battery in your remote control.
2. I follow instruction for roll out code garage opener step by step
3. Get remote control about 1" to the front of the mirror.

Work fine ever sense.
      03-18-2007, 02:18 AM   #41
lkevinl
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '07 335i 4dr Sport+Premium+Nav

hold behind mirror. There is a long thread about this issue.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2007, 03:45 AM   #42
JoJoGunn
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: ****

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Fleet View Post
Have you guys checked out the manufacturers website ?
Its got instructions
www.homelink.com

Here is a copy from one of the pages

For first time training, press and hold the two outer HomeLink buttons, releasing only when the HomeLink indicator light begins to flash after 20 seconds. (Do not perform this step when training the additional HomeLink buttons.)

2. Position the hand-held transmitter 1-3 inches away from the HomeLink surface (located on your overhead), keeping the HomeLink indicator light in view.

3. Using both hands, simultaneously press and hold both the desired HomeLink button and hand held transmitter button. DO NOT release until the HomeLink indicator light flashes slowly and then rapidly. When the indicator light flashes rapidly, both buttons may be released. (The rapid flashing indicates successful training.)

Note: Some garage door openers may require you to replace step 3 with the “cycling” procedure noted in the “View Canadian Instructions” section.

4. Press and hold the trained HomeLink button and observe the indicator light.

If the indicator light is solid/continuous, training is complete and your device should activate when the HomeLink button is pressed and released.
If the indicator light blinks rapidly for 2 seconds and then turns a solid/continuous light, proceed with the following training instructions for a rolling code device. A second person may make the following steps quicker and easier. Please use a ladder or other device. Do not stand on your vehicle to perform the next steps.

5. At the garage door opener receiver (motorhead unit) in the garage, locate the “learn” or “smart” button (usually near where the hanging antenna wire is attached to the unit). If there is difficulty locating the training button, reference the garage door opener’s manual or contact us.

6. Press and release the “learn” or “smart” button (the name and color of the button may vary by manufacturer). NOTE: Once the button is pressed, there are 30 seconds in which to initiate the next step.

7. Return to the vehicle and firmly press and hold the trained HomeLink button for two seconds and release. Repeat the “press/hold/release” sequence up to 3 times to complete the training process.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2009, 05:15 AM   #43
azzurribaggio
Second Lieutenant
Rep

UGH!
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2020, 01:30 PM   #44
SimulationX
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 (F14)

WORKS!

After many attempts with the remote and almost giving up, I cleared the Homelink, then simply used the "smart" feature and the real trick is to do STEP 7!! (Push/Hold 2 seconds/ REPEAT)

5. At the garage door opener receiver (motorhead unit) in the garage, locate the “learn” or “smart” button (usually near where the hanging antenna wire is attached to the unit). If there is difficulty locating the training button, reference the garage door opener’s manual or contact us.

6. Press and release the “learn” or “smart” button (the name and color of the button may vary by manufacturer). NOTE: Once the button is pressed, there are 30 seconds in which to initiate the next step.

7. Return to the vehicle and firmly press and hold the trained HomeLink button for two seconds and release. Repeat the “press/hold/release” sequence up to 3 times to complete the training process.
Appreciate 0