E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Suspension issue

08-06-2020, 12:31 PM   #1
MatthewStephens83
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2009 328i N52

Suspension issue

I have an '09 328i sedan.

Recently, I was experiencing some front end issues (swaying over bumps, the general ride of a pickup truck, steering wheel shake at highway speeds etc.) and decided to go ahead and replace the following items:
  • Front struts (came loaded)
  • Upper and lower control arms
  • Rear shocks

After installation, I brought it in for an alignment and had to adjust the steering angle sensor as well (predictably, the dash lights came on after installing new suspension components). While I am experiencing a marked improvement in ride quality and any lingering vibration at highway speeds is now minimal, I am suffering a new issue altogether. When it rains, the car struggles GREATLY to maintain contact with the road and, to give you an idea, it feels like the front end is sliding to either the right or left and then hurriedly corrects itself. As you might imagine, this is both a very jarring and harrowing sensation that makes me fearful to take it out when rain is imminent....especially with my two year old in the backseat.

Any thoughts on what might be causing this issue?
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2020, 01:54 PM   #2
E92William
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 328xi

Garage List
2008 BMW 328xi  [0.00]
This could very well be tire related. But giving them the benefit of the doubt, go under the car and start prying things and bushings. There must be something worn if it wasn't doing it before, usually suspension work is a rabbit hole. You fix something then that new part shows how worn a part near it is and so on. Another thing you might wanna check is your steering linkage joint. The bar that connects the steering wheel to the rack, that often gets play in the u joints over time, that very part is my current cause of the issue you're having.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2020, 09:23 PM   #3
CALWATERBOY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 E93 N54

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewStephens83 View Post
After installation, I brought it in for an alignment and had to adjust the steering angle sensor as well (predictably, the dash lights came on after installing new suspension components). While I am experiencing a marked improvement in ride quality and any lingering vibration at highway speeds is now minimal, I am suffering a new issue altogether. When it rains, the car struggles GREATLY to maintain contact with the road and, to give you an idea, it feels like the front end is sliding to either the right or left and then hurriedly corrects itself. As you might imagine, this is both a very jarring and harrowing sensation that makes me fearful to take it out when rain is imminent....especially with my two year old in the backseat.

Any thoughts on what might be causing this issue?

Give us a current alignment sheet!
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2020, 02:03 PM   #4
MatthewStephens83
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2009 328i N52

I will certainly do that! In the morning, I am going to bring it back to the shop that did the alignment to start with...as I am fairly certain that the alignment didn't hold for one reason or another.
Appreciate 0