E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > Help!! 29DD and 2C58

01-01-2018, 03:58 PM   #1
spooned_n55
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i xdrive

Help!! 29DD and 2C58

Hi guys,

I have recently been having cold start issues with my '11 n55. When the car has been sitting overnight and I go to start it in the morning, it almost immediately dies (rpms go down to ~500), it struggles, then finally surges back to life and the idle fumbles around for a bit. Warm starts are not an issue. Driving feels relatively normal.

I have also noticed an increase in fuel consumption.

Finally threw 2 codes at me:

29DD - Charge air temperature sensor, plausibility, cold start: temperature too low

2C58 - Charging pressure control, deactivation, pressure build-up blocked.

Any insight?

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2018, 05:35 PM   #2
aaron_
Captain
Rep
Drives: E93 335i LCI

Boost solenoid or vacuum lines. Replace both. Cheap and easy

Also, do you have cold start noise reduction on through mhd. If so could be that as well
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2018, 11:08 PM   #3
spooned_n55
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron_ View Post
Boost solenoid or vacuum lines. Replace both. Cheap and easy

Also, do you have cold start noise reduction on through mhd. If so could be that as well
I do have MHD but I do not have cold start noise reduction.

I will look into those items. Do you think there is a chance it's the charge air temperature sensor?
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2018, 09:39 AM   #4
spooned_n55
Enlisted Member
Rep

UPDATE:

Scanned again and in addition to the 2 active codes posted above - there are 3 Shadow (inactive) codes:

2904 - Charge-air temperature sensor: Multiple Fault
2908 - Charge-air temperature sensor: Multiple Fault
29E6 - Charge-air temperature sensor, cold start: Multiple Fault

Mods are MHD stage 1, Cobb chargepipe, BMS intake.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2020, 08:47 PM   #5
jaytes
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 335ix M-sport

Evening All

I wanted to reach out to this thread, if there was a solution. A few days ago I added 5 gallons of e85 fuel (as always) to my car 2011/FBO/PPK Flash/Alpina Tune/JB4 Map 5 and recieved the following codes with an engine malfuction!

29DD
2C58

I thought it was the JB4 not adjusting to the higher fuel so I cleared the codes and switch to Map 0 from Map5 and back. The car was running great for the past couple days and then today I went to start the car (cold sart) and recieved the same message and codes.

Was there a resolution to this? replacing the boost solenoid and vaccuum lines, I also read somewhere that it might be a Vanos..
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 02:54 AM   #6
N55lif3
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i n55

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaytes View Post
Evening All

I wanted to reach out to this thread, if there was a solution. A few days ago I added 5 gallons of e85 fuel (as always) to my car 2011/FBO/PPK Flash/Alpina Tune/JB4 Map 5 and recieved the following codes with an engine malfuction!

29DD
2C58

I thought it was the JB4 not adjusting to the higher fuel so I cleared the codes and switch to Map 0 from Map5 and back. The car was running great for the past couple days and then today I went to start the car (cold sart) and recieved the same message and codes.

Was there a resolution to this? replacing the boost solenoid and vaccuum lines, I also read somewhere that it might be a Vanos..
I have recently been stalling only on cold starts but besides that everything seems to be fine. I notice that its only with I am on my E30 blend. I recently found out that one of my chargepipes slipped off a clamp when I saw that I was not hitting target boost. After I fixed it I have yet to experience a stall on a cold start so far (its been a week). Never had any codes pop up at me.

11.4s@120mph (Full Weight + 50lb ea wheel on street) // E30 Wedge Performance
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2020, 10:47 PM   #7
jaytes
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 335ix M-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by N55lif3 View Post
I have recently been stalling only on cold starts but besides that everything seems to be fine. I notice that its only with I am on my E30 blend. I recently found out that one of my chargepipes slipped off a clamp when I saw that I was not hitting target boost. After I fixed it I have yet to experience a stall on a cold start so far (its been a week). Never had any codes pop up at me.
I actually came across a different thread having the same issue and code as me. Found out there was water in sensor connection on the JB4-chargepipe-tmap. I dried it out and clean the pins with a qtip. car started up right away and the engine malfunction disappeared along with the codes!

hope this helps!
Appreciate 0