E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > E90 New Owner.

08-11-2021, 08:01 AM   #1
CONWY
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 2.0 318i

New 318i owner

Guys Just got my first BMW E90 it's a 2.0 318i on a 56 plate with 90k full mot from a reputable garage. It runs and drives mint. has a fully stamped book but What should I look at replacing on the safe side. Also considering replacing the radio with a 9" Android unit with Sat Nav anyone done this if so what unit did you go with. thanks for any help and advice.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2021, 08:42 AM   #2
Chapperss
I only ride park
Rep
Drives: e93 335i Msport FBO 2+

Quote:
Originally Posted by CONWY View Post
Guys Just got my first BMW E90 it's a 2.0 318i on a 56 plate with 90k full mot from a reputable garage. It runs and drives mint. has a fully stamped book but What should I look at replacing on the safe side. Also considering replacing the radio with a 9" Android unit with Sat Nav anyone done this if so what unit did you go with. thanks for any help and advice.
Congratulations on the purchase and Welcome to the forum. Get some photos up so we can all appreciate.

For preventative maintenance - I`d suggest replacing EVERY part of your car with new bits! That should see you straight.

I joke of course - You`ll understand that this forum is a mad house for preventative maintenance (my opinion).

My suggestion is to use the search function, there will be threads that list service intervals, common faults, and, at what millage to look out for what. Match this advice to the paperwork and then see what`s left that needs doing.

Android has been done to death, again, use the search function.

If you have specifics you can`t find answers too after searching, then I`m sure the community will happily help (tbh most do even when a simple search would have answered the q, which this thread may well prove )

Apart from that, I hope you enjoy the car and have many years of hassle free driving
Appreciate 1
CONWY0.00
      08-11-2021, 03:14 PM   #3
tadaska
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 320D ES

Quote:
Originally Posted by CONWY View Post
I'd be drilling a hole at the bottom of the well where the ECU box sits. Water drainage is very bad there and in strong rain it can get flooded. Mine failed due to water corrosion. I'd also open the ECU and check for corrosion. Clean with acetone if there are any signs of corrosion.
Appreciate 1
CONWY0.00
      08-13-2021, 06:02 AM   #4
LimpBimmer
Walking to fix my car
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 318i

Hey Conwy
Welcome to the wonderful world of E90 ownership

I can only tell you the stuff to look out for which I've had issues with:

Rear diffs tend to go bad, starting at around 100k miles. Had a bit of a mare with mine, but I think that was the exception that proves the rule that they're normally a quickish, easy job to do.

Timing chains are a nightmare on the N43 / N47 engines (yours may be an N47? ) - check the history to make sure that the chain has been changed at least once. If it has then great, if not then at the very least you'll need to look at replacing the tensioner (£15 and 15 minutes to replace), or a new chain and guide assembly if there are any signs that the chain has already stretched.

Use correct spec oil, every time. Don't skimp on the cost of it. It'll save you more in the long term than you save in the short term.
Appreciate 1
CONWY0.00