E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > N55 Possible DME or eccentric actuator problem?

03-20-2024, 07:13 PM   #1
RileyGbmw
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

N55 Possible DME or eccentric actuator problem?

Car was working fine no problems at all until I changed the battery. All of a sudden the car wouldn’t start. I’ve taken it to 2 bmw shops and the both think it’s possibly an eccentric actuator/shaft problem but can’t confirm and it would cost 5k+ to fix. Car will crank but it won’t start. They also tested compression and found all cylinders were low compression

Codes are
29D0: Intake air temperature sensor, electrical: short circuit to B+
2DD6: valvetronic Servomotor, position sensors:short circuit or line disconnection
2DE3: valvtronic servomotor activation, volt phase: line disconnection
36FD: DME main relay, plausibility, prematurely dropped out

I’m starting to think this is a DME problem based on the fact the car was fine and whenever I changed batteries it maybe fried some of the electronics. I don’t know a lot about DME can anyone advise? Any info is appreciated thanks. Can a DME be tested? Or fixed?
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2024, 04:27 AM   #2
wrevilo
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i N55 6MT

Looks like the DME could be a good start. Might also be worth posting in the N55 sub-forum?
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2024, 09:25 AM   #3
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by RileyGbmw View Post
Car was working fine no problems at all until I changed the battery... Car will crank but it won’t start. They also tested compression and found all cylinders were low compression [from BATTERY change?? ]
Codes are:
29D0: Intake air temperature sensor, electrical: short circuit to B+
2DD6: valvetronic Servomotor, position sensors:short circuit or line disconnection
2DE3: valvtronic servomotor activation, volt phase: line disconnection
36FD: DME main relay, plausibility, prematurely dropped out
Questions:
1) Last-7 Characters of VIN?
2) Make/Model Scan Tool or diagnostic software (INPA/ISTA) available to you?
3) Have/Know HOW to measure voltage/ continuity with, Multimeter? ($10 Amazon or HFT)
4) Can you post a photo of your Battery & RPDP (Rear Power Distribution Panel), to show all B+ Voltage Supply Cables?

I'm NOT personally familiar with N55 VVT voltage supply, but ISTA will show the wiring & component location, & I can provide ISTA ScreenPrints of circuits, & test suggestions. Almost certainly a wiring/ connector issue, likely at Battery, or blown fuse. NOTHING in your description to suggest a $5K issue.

BTW: I see in your PREVIOUS thread that you changed battery AFTER "Crank, NO Start" at gas station. If that is the case, then Battery Change occurred AFTER the "Crank, No Start" occurred. Please provide requested Information anyway.
https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2069440
George

Last edited by gbalthrop; 03-22-2024 at 09:33 AM..
Appreciate 0