E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > WTB coilover..need help

01-05-2008, 10:00 AM   #1
[SIPUT]
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: sparkling graphite 320i

WTB coilover..need help

so i UPS guy came to my house the other day and finally i received my Iforged rims after 2 months waiting .but now i need to buy coilover before i can install them.
the thing is....i've been told by my friend that coilover in australia is so damn expensive!! he bought tein coils for his rx8 for $2200. i notice that KW v2 is only around USD$1500ish here in the forum. anyone got info abt shops that sells KW in sydney?
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2008, 09:44 PM   #2
astra
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 325Ci Individual

Garage List
your best bet is to buy from overseas if you want to save some cash... you could try Jlevisw.com , they are very good, and beat anyone's prices

also, the different brands provide different things (hence why i went against the current trend and bought what i did)
      01-06-2008, 06:40 PM   #3
daninsyd
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

hey i got my KW's from Derek at european autotech in movavale....02 99794484
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2008, 09:16 PM   #4
1q2w3e4r
Breakfast at Tiffany's
Rep
Drives: BMW

Bavariacars in Gladesville are the dealers, Im guessing european autotech are too. I had mine fitted to my M3 and they are great, just recently had the car corner weighted as well.

Local retail prices for E92 are below, give or take currency fluctuations.

Variant 1:
$2180

Variant 2:
$2620

Variant 3:
$2990

There maybe price differences for sedan though as the suspension setup would be different. By the time you buy from the US site listed above, convert the currency to AUD and then pay GST and shipping there is no difference at all in price. If you buy locally at least you then have an avenue to deal with if something malfunctions or there is a problem with the product. To me, its not worth going through the hassle to save $50 or some nominal amount by having the exercise of dealing with having to buy overseas, having it shipped, held up at customs, then finding someone to fit and install it. Then deal with the original people OS I got the gear off if something is wrong with it. I'd rather just have it sourced locally and fitted by the same people.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2008, 01:09 AM   #5
astra
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1q2w3e4r View Post
its not worth going through the hassle to save $50 or some nominal amount
I ended up saving $750 which I could then put towards the ACS parts
      01-07-2008, 01:31 AM   #6
e92phreak
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i TiAg/E46 323i TiAg

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [9.50]
2000 E46 323i  [0.00]
Cheaper to buy from US and ship.
07 E92 335i | TiAg | Step | Padl | Cmft | Alum Trm | PDC | Nav | Assist | Sat | Lthr | Prem | Sprt | Rear Splr | RDSport Quads | iPod | V1 | LT Refl | VS Clear Bra | OEM Lip | KWV2 | Mtec Sides | BBS LM-R
00 E46 323i | TiAg | 5sp | Sport | Roof | RDSport Cams | RDSport tune | RDSport Shift | Volk LE37 | M3 spoiler | PSS9 | SuperSprint | Brembo
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2008, 02:49 AM   #7
WOPALX
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan

I got my PSS9's from the US and fitted locally, saved about $1500 on local pricing.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2008, 03:02 AM   #8
1q2w3e4r
Breakfast at Tiffany's
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
I ended up saving $750 which I could then put towards the ACS parts
That's Bilstein though which is more expensive here, you have the PSS kit right? Not the PSS9 or 10's? Can't remember. KW works out the same locally, which was what he was after.

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92phreak View Post
Cheaper to buy from US and ship.
Did you buy a set? How much cheaper were the KW's and what varient did you get?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOPALX View Post
I got my PSS9's from the US and fitted locally, saved about $1500 on local pricing.
Again, Bilstein which as I mentioned are vastly more expensive and a more of a softer setup. The Bilstein PSS9 are around $3900 for my E46 M3, I had my KW V2 supplied and fitted for $2600 which are not only heaps cheaper but a superior setup.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2008, 03:42 AM   #9
astra
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Again, Bilstein which as I mentioned are vastly more expensive and a more of a softer setup. The Bilstein PSS9 are around $3900 for my E46 M3, I had my KW V2 supplied and fitted for $2600 which are not only heaps cheaper but a superior setup.
Superior based on what? It all depends what you are after, as to what you considder superior - good thing that there is alot on the market
      01-07-2008, 03:57 AM   #10
1q2w3e4r
Breakfast at Tiffany's
Rep

Quote:
Superior based on what? It all depends what you are after, as to what you considder superior - good thing that there is alot on the market
Superior based on more adjustment, 18 with the KW as opposed to 9 for the PSS9, they also have the biggest drop, in addition V3 have adjustment for height, compression and rebound. V2's have adjustment for height and dampening. You wouldn't even consider the PSS when you factor in price as they don't have damping adjustment, only height as I understand it, although you have a set correct? What adjustment do the PSS have? Bilstein say that all of their coilover kits offer a 1 to 2 inch drop over a stock suspension setup.

As to why its a better product, its been widely discussed over on M3 forums and the consensus is PSS9's if you want a soft setup for daily driving and a good amount of drop. You go KW if you want the biggest drop, plan on perhaps tracking and want maximum ability for adjustment and functionality. Then you also have Tein and GC as well as others which come into it. For my car(s) the KW setup has been proven a better setup than the Bilstein for the above listed reasons.

Bang for buck however the KW are the pick of the bunch. I got mine supplied and fitted for roughly $2600, the comparable Bilstein's locally were going to close to if not over $4k when fitted. How much did the PSS kit cost you to get it landed and fitted out of interest? ]
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2008, 04:12 AM   #11
astra
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Superior based on more adjustment, 18 with the KW as opposed to 9 for the PSS9, they also have the biggest drop, in addition V3 have adjustment for height, compression and rebound. V2's have adjustment for height and dampening. You wouldn't even consider the PSS when you factor in price as they don't have damping adjustment, only height as I understand it, although you have a set correct? What adjustment do the PSS have? Bilstein say that all of their coilover kits offer a 1 to 2 inch drop over a stock suspension setup.

As to why its a better product, its been widely discussed over on M3 forums and the consensus is PSS9's if you want a soft setup for daily driving and a good amount of drop. You go KW if you want the biggest drop, plan on perhaps tracking and want maximum ability for adjustment and functionality. Then you also have Tein and GC as well as others which come into it. For my car(s) the KW setup has been proven a better setup than the Bilstein for the above listed reasons.

Bang for buck however the KW are the pick of the bunch. I got mine supplied and fitted for roughly $2600, the comparable Bilstein's locally were going to close to if not over $4k when fitted. How much did the PSS kit cost you to get it landed and fitted out of interest? ]
All of which for what i wanted was irrenevant... I didn't want to slam my car so it scrubs on every bump, nor did i buy the pss9, as i didn't need to play with the stiffness of the ride at all I bought what i did, because for me, it was the right product - a nice ride height (in my opinion), and a comfortable ride with an increase in handling over what i had as stock

like i said, it is a good thing that there is alot of choice in the market, as everyone has different opinions on what is good, and what they like
      01-07-2008, 04:23 AM   #12
1q2w3e4r
Breakfast at Tiffany's
Rep

Quote:
All of which for what i wanted was irrenevant... I didn't want to slam my car so it scrubs on every bump, nor did i buy the pss9, as i didn't need to play with the stiffness of the ride at all I bought what i did, because for me, it was the right product - a nice ride height (in my opinion), and a comfortable ride with an increase in handling over what i had as stock

like i said, it is a good thing that there is alot of choice in the market, as everyone has different opinions on what is good, and what they like
You want maximum adjustment height wise not so you can slam the car as you put it, but so you can corner weight it. It has nothing to do with scrubbing on every bump

Your initial response to my post was to say the saving was $750 in your case and implied that on value the PSS system was worth merit over getting a system locally. In your case perhaps yes, however locally the PSS9's as people have mentioned are vastly priced out of the market.

By the time you go through the exercise of getting a set of Bilstein's for an E9x model car bought, shipped and dealt with customs and paid GST it doesn't offer a huge saving on buying the KW system locally. Which was what the initial poster was after. There is arguably no saving to ordering a KW coilover setup from overseas as opposed to buying locally. Hence my mentioning the local RRP for them and one of the various workshops that fit them, daninsyd also mentioned another dealer.

If you were after a coilover setup for a late model BMW and you wanted maximum adjustment and flexibility you would take a hard look at getting a KW setup fitted and supplied by someone local in Sydney as it offers great value for money and more flexibility than the PSS9's rather than buying overseas, or buying it locally where it is priced out of the market.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2008, 05:50 AM   #13
MrBlonde
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Audi TTRS, M Coupe, 1299

Quote:
your best bet is to buy from overseas if you want to save some cash... you could try Jlevisw.com , they are very good, and beat anyone's prices

also, the different brands provide different things (hence why i went against the current trend and bought what i did)
Not always, in fact many claim to get a better deal by buying overseas when it actually ends up costing more than buying from a local dealer.

Sometimes it's worth it, sometimes it is not worth it.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2008, 03:57 PM   #14
astra
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Yes I agree, it does go both ways
      01-07-2008, 05:11 PM   #15
WOPALX
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Who cares what brand a person buys or where they buy it or how much they pay

As long as you a get a smile on your dial when your out driving that's all that really matters.

FYI drop on the Pss9's was several inches over the standard sports suspension, I think I am at the maximum height according to my installer and that's plenty low enough for me.

Dampening is adjustable but I have not played with the settings as yet, want to wait until I do the diff to dial it in.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2008, 11:59 PM   #16
[SIPUT]
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: sparkling graphite 320i

thanks for the help guys...

i talk to several vendors here and they quoted me 1300-1500 USD shipped to my door... compared to 2600++ if i buy locally

so think i better get it from overseas.........however the sad thing is...one of the vendor that gave me the cheapest quote arent replying my PM for few days now
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2008, 12:50 AM   #17
VGR00
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 430i Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by [SIPUT] View Post
thanks for the help guys...

i talk to several vendors here and they quoted me 1300-1500 USD shipped to my door... compared to 2600++ if i buy locally

so think i better get it from overseas.........however the sad thing is...one of the vendor that gave me the cheapest quote arent replying my PM for few days now
Taking the worst case scenario and having to pay GST on arrival, it still looks like you will save over $600 as a min. I'd love to lower mine however I just clear my driveway now and any lower I'll scrape.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2008, 01:22 AM   #18
astra
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by vgr02 View Post
Taking the worst case scenario and having to pay GST on arrival, it still looks like you will save over $600 as a min. I'd love to lower mine however I just clear my driveway now and any lower I'll scrape.
If you get them to mark it as a gift you can get away with not paying tax usually, or if you ask them mark the item as just under 1k AUD, and that way it falls under the tax limit (they can always email/post you the real invoice seperately)
      01-08-2008, 03:59 AM   #19
CaptOz
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: Porsche 911 Carrera S

Quote:
Dampening is adjustable but I have not played with the settings as yet, want to wait until I do the diff to dial it in.
Any updates on the LSD Wopalx?

Quote:
If you get them to mark it as a gift you can get away with not paying tax
You can take advantage of a large saving.

Cheers,

CaptOz
      01-08-2008, 02:35 PM   #20
WOPALX
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptOz View Post
Any updates on the LSD Wopalx?
Not yet, need to go to the installers and have them remove the cover to see if the crown is welded as there are some cars produced at the time mine was without the welded issue.

If it's welded then I need to send the whole diff to the UK on an exchange basis unless I can find a 335i sedan wreck locally (the sedan & coupe use different ratios).
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2008, 03:52 PM   #21
VGR00
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 430i Gran Coupe

Quote:
If it's welded then I need to send the whole diff to the UK on an exchange basis unless I can find a 335i sedan wreck locally (the sedan & coupe use different ratios).
If this is way you need to go then maybe you should scout the UK, Euro or USA wreeker sites as I think you would have a better chance of finding one there.
Appreciate 0