E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > E93 rear squeak

04-09-2018, 09:59 AM   #1
Bluecabrio
Cruiser
Rep
Drives: Blue 2008 E93

E93 rear squeak

Hi all

Fairly new owner of my E93. Has been fine apart from squeak that's developed in the rear suspension.

I've read the forums and can see this isn't uncommon, however a mechanic has checked/lubed the ball joints and this doesn't seem to have cured it.

- noise only present when going over bumps in road (drain covers etc and especially speedbumps!) Quite a high pitched metal on metal sound
- doesn't effect handling, fuel economy or anything else noticeable
- can be heard from inside car, where it sounds more central and almost like a spring noise (in that there's a change in the sound for the up and down movement)
- tends to happen most when the drivers side wheel hits bumps etc but does occasionally happen when the passenger side wheel hits drains etc as well.

If it isn't the ball joints, what should I be looking for?

Or maybe it is and the lubejob that the mechanic did hasn't worked?

Any ideas? It's driving me nuts!
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2018, 11:01 AM   #2
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluecabrio View Post
Or maybe it is and the lubejob that the mechanic did hasn't worked?
Lube job? Seriously? That is funny! Replace the ball joints: https://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/tec...eplacement.htm
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2018, 11:33 AM   #3
Phil325i
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 325i MSport Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by feuer View Post
Lube job? Seriously? That is funny! Replace the ball joints: https://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/tec...eplacement.htm
+1

Just had this done myself. Horrendous creaking when bouncing the car up and down. Thought about having both sides done, but my indie said not worth it as he's had many cases of just doing one side and that other side continues just fine for many more miles...
E92 pre-LCI 325i - Ohlins R&T; H&R spacers; M3 strut brace; Swift thrust sheets; 3 x chassis braces; diff brace; N53 V-brace; 034 subframe inserts; BMS clutch stop; BMS CDV; RE g/box mounts; Delrin shift bushes; Saikoumichi OCC; Cyba scoops; BMW Perf Exhaust; HEL s/steel brake hoses; M3 rear spoiler; Recaro Sportster CSs; M3 white dash LEDs; LED Angels; LED side repeaters; BMW Perf black grille; CSL reps; SSDD carbon diffuser; Monster Wrap black roof/clear front
Appreciate 1
feuer4274.50
      05-12-2018, 12:06 PM   #4
dudu2003
Registered
Canada
Rep
Drives: E93 335i, F10 535i, F48 X1

I believe that is normal.
I own 2007 E93 335i. I hear all kinds of squeaks and cracking noises when going over bumps and uneven surfaces.
I have sprayed WD-40 and it helped only temporary.
Does sqeaking sounds gets worse during raining day?
Appreciate 0