E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > LED Consensus ?

01-07-2019, 11:56 PM   #1
assassinsbrotherhood
330d E90 LCI M Sport.
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2010 330d e90 LCI M Sport

Garage List
LED Consensus ?

I have read a lot about problems with error messages and such when you put LEDs in your BMW. I replaced all my interior lights and also did the Angel Eyes and was also getting the error messages. I read that it is caused by the bulb check system and you can code out this function. I decided that I wanted to keep the check function, so I went ahead and replaced as many LEDs in the car as I could. I read that the error is from the minimal amount of power the LEDs use on start up. But here is the funny thing.When I replaced as many LEDs as i could I now no longer get these error codes. Could this be because of the quantity of LEDs now draw enough power to negate the error check function?.

Interior = 11
Gauges = 5
Angel Eyes = 2
Fog Lights = 2
Fog Light Bay = 2
Rear Lights = 6
Number Plate =2
Interior Ambient Lighting(Doors and Console = 4

I would be interested to know if anyone has an answer for this or has had the same thing happen without coding out the check bulb function.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2019, 01:08 AM   #2
jzx_andy
Slowpoke
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i N54

You can buy LEDs that come with resistors to simulate power draw from their incandescent bulb counterparts. They'll allow you to retain check bulb functionality and won't require coding.
6MT swapped | Xtreme twin disk & SMF | Advan RSII | ST XTA | F82 M4 heated front seats | BMW Individual interior trims | CIC/Combox retrofits | Custom headlights | 1M/M3 mirrors | 335is auxiliary radiator | LCI tails
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2019, 03:49 AM   #3
assassinsbrotherhood
330d E90 LCI M Sport.
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzx_andy View Post
You can buy LEDs that come with resistors to simulate power draw from their incandescent bulb counterparts. They'll allow you to retain check bulb functionality and won't require coding.
It seems that some people cant read english! I was asking why I would not continue to get error codes without resistors on the bulbs I have.And I do know about bulbs with resistors, I just wasnt using them. I am asking could it be possible that the amount of LEDs I have could be drawing enough power to negate the errors. Is that simple enough?:
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2019, 06:08 AM   #4
Ken Oath
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 330d

Quote:
Originally Posted by assassinsbrotherhood View Post
.......Could this be because of the quantity of LEDs now draw enough power to negate the error check function?.
No.

Not all circuits have cold or warm bulb check.
The system is measuring current draw.
Pictured are both BMW OEM bulbs, a halogen and a SMD LED.
These bulbs are used in the interior footwell/door.

V x A = P
Where:
V = Volts
A = Current (Amp)
P = Watts

Halogen 12V 6A
12 x 6 = 60 Watts

LED 12V 160mA
12 x 0.16 = 2 Watts

So to have a current (A) of 6A the LED would have to be extremely inefficient or physically bigger than required.

The LED purchased must have resistors if no lamp warnings are observed or be on a circuit which is not monitored.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-08-2019, 06:18 AM   #5
ADEe92
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: e92 320d sport plus edition

Garage List
2013 320d  [0.00]
1988 320i with M30B35  [0.00]
Go a bit easy on the the first reply - he was just trying to help.

My car has the LED + light package, so appears to have all LED lighting stock. Maybe it's an option that doesn't need coding - ie. once you add enough LEDs, and the resistance in the system becomes low enough the body computer assumes you have the LED light package and switches settings? Doubtful. Ken's answer seems most likely.
Appreciate 2
King Rudi13154.00
      01-08-2019, 08:23 AM   #6
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

Quote:
It seems that some people cant read english! I was asking why I would not continue to get error codes without resistors on the bulbs I have.And I do know about bulbs with resistors, I just wasnt using them. I am asking could it be possible that the amount of LEDs I have could be drawing enough power to negate the errors. Is that simple enough?:
You'll make lots of friends on here being a dick to people who are trying to help you. He may not have answered the specific question you asked but he was trying to provide a solution.
Appreciate 2
vtl1493.00
      01-08-2019, 09:26 AM   #7
jzx_andy
Slowpoke
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i N54

Quote:
Sorry, I misread your post. At least someone else answered your question
6MT swapped | Xtreme twin disk & SMF | Advan RSII | ST XTA | F82 M4 heated front seats | BMW Individual interior trims | CIC/Combox retrofits | Custom headlights | 1M/M3 mirrors | 335is auxiliary radiator | LCI tails
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2019, 02:20 AM   #8
assassinsbrotherhood
330d E90 LCI M Sport.
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADEe92 View Post
Go a bit easy on the the first reply - he was just trying to help.

My car has the LED + light package, so appears to have all LED lighting stock. Maybe it's an option that doesn't need coding - ie. once you add enough LEDs, and the resistance in the system becomes low enough the body computer assumes you have the LED light package and switches settings? Doubtful. Ken's answer seems most likely.
Now that was the intelligent answer I was looking for. That was what I was assuming that the system is tricked into thinking that they are drawing enough power. As you stated with the LED package and LEDs in the newer model BMWs there had to be a reason for no error messages now
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2019, 02:22 AM   #9
assassinsbrotherhood
330d E90 LCI M Sport.
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzx_andy View Post
Sorry, I misread your post. At least someone else answered your question
Thats OK, sorry Im was a bit harsh, but took offence to the SLOWPOKE remark.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2019, 02:26 AM   #10
assassinsbrotherhood
330d E90 LCI M Sport.
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Oath View Post
No.

Not all circuits have cold or warm bulb check.
The system is measuring current draw.
Pictured are both BMW OEM bulbs, a halogen and a SMD LED.
These bulbs are used in the interior footwell/door.

V x A = P
Where:
V = Volts
A = Current (Amp)
P = Watts

Halogen 12V 6A
12 x 6 = 60 Watts

LED 12V 160mA
12 x 0.16 = 2 Watts

So to have a current (A) of 6A the LED would have to be extremely inefficient or physically bigger than required.

The LED purchased must have resistors if no lamp warnings are observed or be on a circuit which is not monitored.
Definitely no resistors fitted. Just a cheap chinese buy before I went ahead to pay a premium for workable lights. Just seems I dont have to now as have been fine for 7 mths.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2019, 02:32 AM   #11
assassinsbrotherhood
330d E90 LCI M Sport.
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_Judy View Post
You'll make lots of friends on here being a dick to people who are trying to help you. He may not have answered the specific question you asked but he was trying to provide a solution.
Mother and Daddy issues aside,! Synthetic Heroin, Cocaine and the mention of Gram! Psychology would dictate there are other issues here to be dealt with first, Dont you think?
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2019, 06:16 AM   #12
vtl
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i MT

Quote:
Thats OK, sorry Im was a bit harsh, but took offence to the SLOWPOKE remark.
SLOWPOKE is his signature and not part of his reply.
      01-09-2019, 08:28 AM   #13
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

Quote:
Mother and Daddy issues aside,! Synthetic Heroin, Cocaine and the mention of Gram! Psychology would dictate there are other issues here to be dealt with first, Dont you think?
Right you are Sigmund.

Allow me to enlighten you. Anything that you see below the line that is displayed in users posts are called signatures. The signatures are not directed at you as these are displayed each time a user posts a comment, you will see that the same thing will be displayed under this post. These are typically something funny that other members have posted and are meant in jest.

I'm going to chalk this up as being new and not fully aware of how things work on here just yet. Welcome to the forums and please understand that most on here will go out of their way to assist with any problems or questions you may have but we also ask that you show proper respect to those doing so.

I would also highly recommend staying out of the political forums.
Appreciate 2
      01-26-2019, 08:01 AM   #14
assassinsbrotherhood
330d E90 LCI M Sport.
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Now_Rudi View Post
Right you are Sigmund.

Allow me to enlighten you. Anything that you see below the line that is displayed in users posts are called signatures. The signatures are not directed at you as these are displayed each time a user posts a comment, you will see that the same thing will be displayed under this post. These are typically something funny that other members have posted and are meant in jest.

I'm going to chalk this up as being new and not fully aware of how things work on here just yet. Welcome to the forums and please understand that most on here will go out of their way to assist with any problems or questions you may have but we also ask that you show proper respect to those doing so.

I would also highly recommend staying out of the political forums.
WOW, Big numbers! (rep, posts)/ I thought this forum might have been troll free, but some ppl need to have a purpose in life. your dream of one day owning a Bimmer wont come trolling forums. i would work on knowing what I drive,what my name is and where I live before passing judgement?
Appreciate 0