E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Should I install Aftermarket Eonon Head Unit?

12-15-2018, 12:06 PM   #23
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

Read the first few entry's in this thread if you want
to know the possible side effects.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2018, 07:37 AM   #24
FairlyReliable
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 335XI

Gruesome,

I watched a youtube video and it appeared as tho the system had to be tethered to the phone to use any of the features. Is that true?

I know on my double din in my audi that once i am bluetoothed in it transfers most the song titles and such to the screen for spotify. What about maps/waze?

I have an Iphone not a android. I would be annoyed if I had to tether it everytime but don't mind pluggin it in to a usb to charge and sync the data.

Thanks
FR
      12-18-2018, 11:33 PM   #25
6ixSpd
Save the manuals!
Rep
Drives: '16 M3, '23 718 Spyder

Heard great things about the 9165, now they even have their own fiber optic decoder as well that is PnP. Going to wait for an eBay 15% coupon and grab this. I can't wait to have Waze and Spotify in my car without using my phone...

Past: E92 M3, F87 M2, E39 M5, etc
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2018, 11:35 AM   #26
GRUESOM3
Major
Rep
Drives: 3 NA cars and 1 Turbo car

I don't have experience with Spotify but I have iPhone also, so I just connect when I get in car I turn phone on before I turn the car on to hotspot mode. Radio connects and I have internet on it. I mostly use YouTube and waze , but I did just check and songs name display from the music app on iPhone if you have music there.

That's exactly what I did I waited for 20 percent coupon on eBay and got it very cheap. Best thing I bought for it for the money.

Although I would probably wait for a newer version at this point since they come out with new ones every year?
Appreciate 1
6ixSpd6011.50
      01-15-2019, 08:07 AM   #27
mashurst
Private
Rep
Drives: 320i E92 LCI

I've got the GA9165A as well. Installed it last week and it worked well on a long trip at the weekend. It's loosing clock memory settings when I leave the car turned off for any significant time. I presume this is because I haven't yet connected the aac wire up to permanent live?
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2019, 08:24 AM   #28
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mashurst View Post
I've got the GA9165A as well. Installed it last week and it worked well on a long trip at the weekend. It's loosing clock memory settings when I leave the car turned off for any significant time. I presume this is because I haven't yet connected the aac wire up to permanent live?
Are you you losing other settings as well like radio stations or tone & base etc?

If so, did you run the power wire to the battery or try and fuse it?
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2019, 04:41 PM   #29
GRUESOM3
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashurst View Post
Mine does the same for some time on startup and then adjusts the time eventually. I haven't looked into it that much as far as acc wires but there's some settings in the unit where you can set it on how the unit adjusts time.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2019, 05:07 PM   #30
JC333
Rep
Drives: 320D SE

I just brought a 9165 and will install into my car new few days.

Instead of buying an extra DAB module I’m guessing I could just hot spot my phone and use internet radio??? To be honest I hardly listen to the radio anyway, only occasionally do I want to listen to some sport whilst travelling.

Does the software need updating etc.... and are there any recommendations for APPS etc..... I know lots of people have put similar head units in and I’d be grateful for any help so I don’t have to spend hours playing around with the unit to get the best from it.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2019, 12:39 PM   #31
salernod
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 323i

Tips when installing back up camera on eonon radio and some details about canbus func

I'm new on BMW. I have over 10 years driving all kind of Ford. I decided to get a 2010 323i at a very low price here in Abu dhabi. With that price I was expecting something wrong and indeed it was the radio BMW professional unit that was not working. Also the reverse distance sensors were not working but later I realized that the radio was also the culprit. Instead of reparing or replacing by a similar unit I decided to get the eonon. That would also resolve another problem, the lack of backup camera in this car. So I ordered the backup camera that comes embedded in the trunk handle and the eonon GA9165B. I installed the unit 2 days ago. Some information I was looking for in the internet was not available for example how gets the back up camera activated? Many videos and post suggested that the camera should be connected to the backup light. Another question I had was whether the sensors will work or not with the eonon.

To clarify in case anyone has these questions:
Do not connect the camera to the backup lights. If you have to do it because your radio doesn't have canbus then use a relay. Otherwise the eonon has connectivity to the canbus and it can detect when the vehicle is put in reverse. The best solution here is to maintain the camera powered with any 12v output. The video cable that has to be routed to the radio has the red power wire embedded so this can be connected to the fuse box or to one of the 12v outputs of the radio.
The canbus of the eonon also updates the clock of the car. If you change the clock in the radio the new time gets updated on the dashboard automatically.
The outside temperature sensed by the car is also transmitted to the radio and remains in sync.
The steering wheel buttons obviously work.
When the any door is open, the signal is also sent to the radio and the radio will show which door is open.
The reverse parking sensors also send the signal to the radio. When in reverse you can see the shape of the car and have visual and audio chimes.
When you get a warning on the dashboard the radio plays a chime.
There are other posts about the specific functions of the radio I'm not going to deep on them but overall I'm very happy with the unit and sound quality is much better than expected.
Another tip. The radio needs internet to take advantage of it's full capabilities. One suggestion is to install a portable 3g modem-wifi. Another option is using the hotspot of your mobile but this requires to manually activate it everytime you get into the car. Since I'm using a Samsung phone I found another solution. There is an app for android called macro-droid. In this app you can program actions done by your phone when it receives a trigger. I programmed my phone to turn on the hotspot automatically every time a the eonon is connected via bluetooth. I tested this and works like a charm. When I turn on the car the phone connects via bluetooth automatically and this triggers the hotspot in my phone that then the radio connects to automatically.

Last edited by salernod; 05-03-2019 at 12:55 PM.. Reason: Pressed save before finishing
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2019, 05:09 PM   #32
Fl328iConvert
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i Convertible

So glad to see this post Salernod..

I have an e93.. install all went well with Canbus etc, but the camera only worked when engine was not running.. When turned on, screen went blank, which i'm told is due to a lack of 12v support. I have already tapped into the backup lights (dammit). Have since removed. I'm hoping the red wire at the deck trick will fix my problem. My question is.. I don't have the knowledge to tap the red wire into a 12v source... Do you have any advice on which of the outputs on the Eonon radios have a 12v source? or would you recommend I go straight to the fuse box. Thanks in advance for any guidance...
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2019, 06:58 AM   #33
Stubbie Blue
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fl328iConvert View Post
So glad to see this post Salernod..

I have an e93.. install all went well with Canbus etc, but the camera only worked when engine was not running.. When turned on, screen went blank, which i'm told is due to a lack of 12v support. I have already tapped into the backup lights (dammit). Have since removed. I'm hoping the red wire at the deck trick will fix my problem. My question is.. I don't have the knowledge to tap the red wire into a 12v source... Do you have any advice on which of the outputs on the Eonon radios have a 12v source? or would you recommend I go straight to the fuse box. Thanks in advance for any guidance...
You need a power rectifier filter because the voltage is not stable enough to keep the camera on. I think BMWs send pulses over the power lines to detect if bulbs are out, but this causes interference if you try to run backup cameras or any other accessories.

You may also need a relay switched on by the reverse light and drawing power off the battery or some other 12 V line because there may not be enough current to run the camera off the reverse light wire.

This product should have both the filter and relay, although I have not tried it myself:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075DV52B8/
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2019, 09:03 AM   #34
Fl328iConvert
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i Convertible

Thank you so much for the link ! appreciate it
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2019, 01:54 PM   #35
ducatiti
Captain
Rep
Drives: X7

8165 seems to be significantly cheaper than the 9165.. Is the 9165 worth the premium?

Also, will there be a feature that will not play videos with the handbrake engaged?

Lastly, can we install or run the wires for the GPS and microphone on one side or there will be interference? I would like to save the time by running both on one side only.

Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2019, 05:25 PM   #36
Rube
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

My 07 E92 has factory Bluetooth module for phone calls, will this radio use the factory microphone or do you have to run the mic supplied with this unit ?
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2019, 06:42 PM   #37
GRUESOM3
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rube View Post
My 07 E92 has factory Bluetooth module for phone calls, will this radio use the factory microphone or do you have to run the mic supplied with this unit ?
If the mic connections are the same then I dont see why you couldn't just plug oem mic to the eonon unit.
I ran my mic into factory location and it's really not hard at all, just have to remove pillar and roof light piece and snake everything in.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2019, 08:50 PM   #38
Blixem
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2006 e91 325xi

I installed an Eonon unit in my e46 a couple of years ago. I loved the functionality but had 2 main issues:
1) the sound quality of the Eonon was not as good as the stock BMW unit.
2) It took a while for the unit to boot up (+-30 seconds)

Both these issues will be done away with it you opt for the Android screens that go on your dash. It takes a bit of cutting, but I think they look pretty cool. It routs it's audio through your Aux ort on the stock radio.
https://avinusa.com/10-25-bmw-3-seri...on-system.html
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2019, 07:36 AM   #39
Ali-E90
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 323i (Cdn)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [8.00]
2007 BMW 323i  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blixem View Post
I installed an Eonon unit in my e46 a couple of years ago. I loved the functionality but had 2 main issues:
1) the sound quality of the Eonon was not as good as the stock BMW unit.
2) It took a while for the unit to boot up (+-30 seconds)

Both these issues will be done away with it you opt for the Android screens that go on your dash. It takes a bit of cutting, but I think they look pretty cool. It routs it's audio through your Aux ort on the stock radio.
https://avinusa.com/10-25-bmw-3-seri...on-system.html
The aux input is the weak link in the stock systems... so if you're using one of those units to achieve improved sound quality, relying on an aux connection to the stock unit defeats the purpose.

This is why I went with a pioneer double din. May not look as well integrated as eonon, avin, and others, but it provides superior sound quality for those that desire it.
      05-17-2019, 01:26 AM   #40
ShaneN55
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
1966 Mustang  [0.00]
Just bought the GA9265B with Android 8.1+Quad Core. Ordered it with dashcam and backup camera. I'll post here when it's installed!
      05-20-2019, 10:12 AM   #41
ducatiti
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneN55 View Post
Just bought the GA9265B with Android 8.1+Quad Core. Ordered it with dashcam and backup camera. I'll post here when it's installed!
I just bought the 8165, came out with to $215 shipped with the coupon and all.

Do you know if we are able to play mirror youtube with the handbrake up?

I watched a video that mentioned that this disables the video..

Last edited by ducatiti; 05-20-2019 at 11:14 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2019, 03:37 PM   #42
ducatiti
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Also, I have other questions as you may be able to answer:

I plan to place the mic on the light console on the ceiling, can we route the GPS and mic on the same side (right) or there may me interference?

Also, do we really need a relay to run a backup camera?
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 01:03 PM   #43
ShaneN55
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
1966 Mustang  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducatiti View Post

I plan to place the mic on the light console on the ceiling, can we route the GPS and mic on the same side (right) or there may me interference?

I don't think I'm qualified to answer any of these questions lol. It comes in today, not sure when I'm getting it installed. As soon as it's all installed I'll try and answer these if you still need help.
      05-21-2019, 01:25 PM   #44
GRUESOM3
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducatiti View Post
Quote:

The gps antenna goes into the pillar area right side and also you would be routing the mic same way just have to bring it across to the middle from the pillar into the center roof light console.
Appreciate 0