E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Great Lakes > Walnut blast In Chicago

02-27-2016, 08:25 AM   #23
sirdaft1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 & E90 WTCC Widebody Racecar

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by feuer View Post
Yes because the pattern is pretty obvious. Especially here on the regional section.
However, me and you don't know each other so none of this is directly personal.
I'm not affiliated with any shop either but I'm knowledgeable enough to become aggravated by repetetive recommendation of shops that are not all that great at all.
I'm mean, seriously!
Some forum members including yourself praise these shops so much as if you all had your umbilical cords cut there.
Although you might be genuine with your shop referals and all the reallity is that they are all affected, shops that is, by a pretty simple economic rule:
-for a customer to trully benifit from a shop thru quality affordable service and not via kick backs that shop need to be experiencing competition.
So now, how these shops will have completion if you keep referring the crowd only there?
Oh, yes (sarcasm here) other shops will start offering inexpensive services and you will automatically portray them as scetchy.
Why is that?
Because to you personally they are new in addition to doing work for less?
Same goes as how you percieve new forum members.
What should I think if you get banned, hypothetically, sign up under differend brand new name and start posting?
I engaged in small conversation with you when your car was rear ended. Even told you that the prices you are discussing are too high.
You didn't express not even the slightest curiosity where you can have the car repaired better and possibly cheaper too.
How is that helping the community? It doesn't.
It helped only one particular shop that without a doubt charged you as much as you would have spend on another accident free 335i with same or similar mods.
Please don't get me wrong but is something to be consider since other forum members have notice the patern and are negatively reacting to these recomendations.
I'm not here to make foes and we might meet on the very next local track event.
I'm not sure that I follow the competition logic. I recommend the shop that I personally trust and bring my BMW's to whenever someone asks for a local referral on these forums. Others do the same. I would estimate that my referrals on these forums would account for (being generous) .000000736893% of all BMW servicing business done in the greater Chicagoland area per year. So to say that my referral is creating a monopoly for one business and keeping out competition just doesn't make sense.

And my hesitation for following your feedback has been that when I've asked for you to share your first hand (or second hand) experiences; there's never been a response, which makes your opinion come across as conjecture. If I ever missed concrete examples, please feel free to correct me. But it's tough to give as much weight to someone's opinion vs their experiences when it comes to these shops.

As for my accident repairs, I'm not sure that you have enough information to make that judgement. Both the shop AND the insurance company conducted their own repair estimates. Every repair and part required approval from the insurance company, and the insurance co had defined guidelines for what they would pay for each. There was no robbing of the bank done by anyone.

And looking forward to one day meeting you! In fact a few of us are getting together for a few beers tonight in Oakbrook (link to post). We can hash out the details of independent shops in person over a cold one if you can make it!

And sorry OP for taking this thread off topic. Hope your walnut blast went well lol
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2016, 08:37 AM   #24
gary88
Ikea enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 E92 335i

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [7.96]
I go to fluid motorunion in plainfield, will be taking mein auto there for walnut blasting soon.
      02-28-2016, 03:36 PM   #25
LucasM3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Luke G just did walnut blasting on my 2007 335i

Highly recommend this shop
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2016, 04:23 PM   #26
Cloud9blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: around the potholes

It is 2016, everything is on the Internet. It is up to the shop to have a decent website or Facebook page to advertise their service and communicate with the customer. Honestly, I would much rather to go to a shop with a good online presence than one can only be reached with a phone number on the backpage of yellowbook.

That said, members should aware of some of the posters (not in this thread, just to be clear) on this forum recommend their friends' shop even though much of their reviews have been negative. Hell, I know some of the shop even have fake reviews online. But they aren't too hard to spot if you do research and ask around.
Appreciate 1
      03-07-2016, 09:55 AM   #27
trohde78
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 e92 335i 6MT

Has anyone found a place (or another member) with good results for under $300? I just started getting a random misfire on cyl 6 only at startup. I figure that I'm due for this service at 72K miles anyway, and will see if that may be the cause. Plugs, coils, and injectors are all fairly new.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2016, 06:24 PM   #28
Cloud9blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by trohde78 View Post
Has anyone found a place (or another member) with good results for under $300? I just started getting a random misfire on cyl 6 only at startup. I figure that I'm due for this service at 72K miles anyway, and will see if that may be the cause. Plugs, coils, and injectors are all fairly new.
Blindingly searching for the lowest bidder will often cost you more money than necessary in the long run.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2016, 09:42 PM   #29
trohde78
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud9blue View Post
Blindingly searching for the lowest bidder will often cost you more money than necessary in the long run.
I don't think that I'm looking for the lowest bidder at $300. That is just the max that I'm willing to pay for a few hours and some walnut shells. :-)
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2016, 06:08 AM   #30
Impac
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by trohde78 View Post
I don't think that I'm looking for the lowest bidder at $300. That is just the max that I'm willing to pay for a few hours and some walnut shells. :-)
PM me i know couple off people that will do walnut blast for much lower price including new gasket
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2016, 09:06 AM   #31
Cloud9blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by trohde78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud9blue View Post
If you have done any work on the driver side like the rest of us, you will know that there is quite a few connectors and vacuum nipple that one can break if the job is rushed. And no matter how many times you have done it, it will still take 3-4 man hour to take the manifold off, rotate the crank manually, clean the valves and then put everything back together, so if it is a good tech, $300 is quite reasonable just FYI.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2016, 09:20 AM   #32
Impac
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw

+1
I dont think any Shop will do Walnut Blasting for less than $400.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2016, 09:50 PM   #33
trohde78
Captain
Rep

Fair enough. I've found $350, just wondering what else was out there.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2017, 11:03 PM   #34
caddyguy
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw335i

Anybody you know would do walnut blast on a nonturbo Caddy?

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impac View Post
PM me i know couple off people that will do walnut blast for much lower price including new gasket
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2020, 11:40 AM   #35
mraissam
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 335IS

Damn !!!!!! they do this in morocco for $30 !! lol
and using this machine ... they never open the engine for anything !!! the machine is called : CrashCarbon

https://www.facebook.com/Crash-carbon-373075216642111/

looks like we lack lot of tech from europe
Appreciate 0