E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > M3 Center console retrofit

11-13-2018, 10:50 AM   #1
Skylinemotorsports
Private
Rep
Drives: 09 e92 335

M3 Center console retrofit

I have been trying to see what information is available about swapping the regular center console out for the M3 one. Been kinda hard to find information...

Does anyone have a link or done this before? Can anyone confirm the e90 and e92 center consoles are the same match? My car has a CIC and wanted to confirm the M3 console CIC controller would require no modding, just be plug and play with the new console? Is there a way to wire the side buttons, or would they just be for show?

Also is this even possible with a automatic to put on the DCT center console, or will I have issues with putting the car in drive, and sport mode? Looks like the 6 MT has more clearance then the DCT one, was hoping for some type of input before I start this project!

Cheers!

Last edited by Skylinemotorsports; 11-13-2018 at 12:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2018, 07:59 PM   #2
LMB335IS
Sua Sponte
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 LMB 335is

Garage List
2013 BMW 335is  [8.84]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylinemotorsports View Post
I have been trying to see what information is available about swapping the regular center console out for the M3 one. Been kinda hard to find information...

Does anyone have a link or done this before? Can anyone confirm the e90 and e92 center consoles are the same match? My car has a CIC and wanted to confirm the M3 console CIC controller would require no modding, just be plug and play with the new console? Is there a way to wire the side buttons, or would they just be for show?

Also is this even possible with a automatic to put on the DCT center console, or will I have issues with putting the car in drive, and sport mode? Looks like the 6 MT has more clearance then the DCT one, was hoping for some type of input before I start this project!

Cheers!
E90 and E92 are the same. CIC will fit but your problem will be getting a steptronic shifter/base plate to work with the small opening in the M3 piece. A manual trans car would probably work fairly easy. It's definitely not plug and play with either one though. The side buttons consist of DSC off, EDC, and Power. The only one you could use is the DSC and it would need to be wired either into the center stack DSC button you have now or into the JBBF where the signal is routed through.

I have the complete setup installed and working in my car, BUT it's a DCT with a complete M3 retrofit, including the drivetrain, GWS (shifter mechanism), KOMBI, ABS/DSC unit, SZL, and the M3 GTS flash on the DCT. The DSC button is directly wired to the DSC unit and the Power button is directly wired to the DME (same as a M3 for both) and you'd need a custom IMK0S flash for the power button to be functional.
Attached Images

11-14-2018, 02:07 PM   #3
Skylinemotorsports
Private
Rep
Drives: 09 e92 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMB335IS View Post
E90 and E92 are the same. CIC will fit but your problem will be getting a steptronic shifter/base plate to work with the small opening in the M3 piece. A manual trans car would probably work fairly easy. It's definitely not plug and play with either one though. The side buttons consist of DSC off, EDC, and Power. The only one you could use is the DSC and it would need to be wired either into the center stack DSC button you have now or into the JBBF where the signal is routed through.

I have the complete setup installed and working in my car, BUT it's a DCT with a complete M3 retrofit, including the drivetrain, GWS (shifter mechanism), KOMBI, ABS/DSC unit, SZL, and the M3 GTS flash on the DCT. The DSC button is directly wired to the DSC unit and the Power button is directly wired to the DME (same as a M3 for both) and you'd need a custom IMK0S flash for the power button to be functional.
Thanks for the reply, sounds like making those buttons is more trouble then its worth... I think that center piece with the M3 SMG looks alot better then the regular one. Not sure how different it would look with the manual one and M3 SMG shifter, the space is alot bigger then the DCT.

Looks likes its doable, the manual one might be the better option. Just have afew things to buy and figure out how to wire the SMG knob correctly.

Hopefully someone has done the same thing with a manual center console on an automatic can post a picture!

Cheers!
Appreciate 0