E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Blackline Tailight - Morristown vs. JLEVISW

01-17-2011, 08:21 PM   #1
SIEAIN
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Blackline Tailight - Morristown vs. JLEVISW

Hi guys,

I know both of the vendors sell the Blackline Tailight for E90. Want to get your opinions and recommendations.

What is the difference between the taillights from these 2 vendors (besides price)? Anyone got pictures that can post up and show me? Quality? Fitment?

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2011, 08:59 PM   #2
SV Concepts III
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW Duh

We carry two different versions, one is DEPO which is a darker smoke and one is the OE version which is a lighter smoke. My guess is Morristown sells the OE, so there is no difference between their OE and our OE.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2011, 10:59 PM   #3
Nedim
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

Morristown sells the OEM blacklines, i bought mine from them
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2011, 11:24 PM   #4
skinrock
Agent Smith
Rep
Drives: 2016 i8

Garage List
2016 BMW i8  [10.00]
I decided to go with the OEM version because it's...well...OEM. I want something important like that to be of the highest quality. Not criticizing the DEPO version, as I have no experience with them, but if you're going for more of the look in general vs. a darker tint, you can't go wrong with OEM. I was leaning towards the darker ones to go on my Jet Black E90, but I absolutely love the ones I got.

The JLevi OEM is the same as the Morristown. I've had a good experience with JLevi, I recently bought a bunch of cosmetic mods and they were very helpful with my questions.

FYI, the Blacklines FAQ has a ton of pictures. Not sure if any are DEPO.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2011, 12:20 AM   #5
MatchesMalone
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi E90

I have the Depo ones from JLevi, and they look great. They fit perfect, and I personally didn't feel like the extra cost of OEMs was justified. I definitely feel like I made the right decision, and they look OEM.

Keep in mind that these won't affect the function of your lights at all. The harness and bulb carriers all stay the same, so there is no way to get error messages or anything like that. They are basically just the plastic housing that filters colored light, so there's really not much to them ...
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2011, 12:46 PM   #6
anerbe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Red E90M 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatchesMalone View Post
I have the Depo ones from JLevi, and they look great. They fit perfect, and I personally didn't feel like the extra cost of OEMs was justified. I definitely feel like I made the right decision, and they look OEM.

Keep in mind that these won't affect the function of your lights at all. The harness and bulb carriers all stay the same, so there is no way to get error messages or anything like that. They are basically just the plastic housing that filters colored light, so there's really not much to them ...
Always wondered, and it's probably been answered 100x.....

Do the DEPO lights support adaptive/emergency braking illumination?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2011, 01:12 PM   #7
MatchesMalone
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by anerbe View Post
Always wondered, and it's probably been answered 100x.....

Do the DEPO lights support adaptive/emergency braking illumination?
Like I said, neither option does does anything to change your actual lights or their function at all. The wire harnesses, bulbs, bulb carriers are all the same. When you buy OEM or Depo non-LED blacklines, all you're getting is the plastic, colored light housing.

Now if you get LED (which IMO as well as others, are not worth the hassle), that's a whole different story. Those require all kinds of resistors, anit-flicker and anti-error modules.

Last edited by MatchesMalone; 01-18-2011 at 04:56 PM..
Appreciate 0