E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Matte Frozen Look

05-07-2012, 09:30 AM   #1
mark25
Private
Rep
Drives: 59 MT Monte Carlo Edition

Matte Frozen Look

Hi Guys

Saw some stuff on another thread that can give your paint a matt look. I have a E92 Monte Carlo M3 and would love to give it a frozen look.

Anyone know if this is possible? I would obviously only like this to be temporary.

Best Regards
Mark
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2012, 09:33 AM   #2
PINeely
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i, 2015 Tundra 1794

Best way is to vinyl wrap the car. It's the cheapest option and you can peel it off when you're tired of it.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2012, 12:30 PM   #3
mashimarho
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: E92 M3 & F80 M3 & G82 M4

Garage List
^ I beg to differ. I would recommend getting the plastidip.
www.dipyourcar.com

Or look up dipyourcarcom on Youtube. You will see what I mean. Fraction of the price, fraction of the labor, and temporary.
      05-07-2012, 06:45 PM   #4
mark25
Private
Rep

Hi Guys

Thanks for the replies. I know about vinyl wrapping as I had my R8 wrapped in orange. I was meaning more of a wax or something similar that could give my existing paint (monte carlo blue) a matt look to it. I love my current color just felt giving it a frozen look might be even more unique.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2012, 07:08 PM   #5
E90Company
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Car

Plastidip it.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2012, 07:27 PM   #6
g_rant
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Please no plasti dip...once you remove it, the paint will peel off if you try removing it. Just wet sand your original paint. IMO it's not worth it for the plasti dip.
      05-07-2012, 07:41 PM   #7
kfrazie1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by g_rant View Post
Please no plasti dip...once you remove it, the paint will peel off if you try removing it. Just wet sand your original paint. IMO it's not worth it for the plasti dip.
Plastic dip doesn't cause the paint underneath to peel if that's what you mean
      05-08-2012, 12:39 AM   #8
bmwtechray
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335d

I've seen this done before its kinda like clear braw but a Matt clear braw it makes Ur paint look frosty the guys who vinyl wrap cars carry it
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2012, 12:43 PM   #9
N54B30A
Captain
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 2021 HS M2C

actually plasti dip released a matte spray that makes any color matte
      05-08-2012, 01:53 PM   #10
deezofchuck
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: OVER SLOW LEFT LANE DRIVERS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahyoun View Post
actually plasti dip released a matte spray that makes any color matte
i am pretty sure the plastidip is innately flat and you need to add the glossifier or metalizer to add any kind of finish...
      05-08-2012, 06:42 PM   #11
jdhart
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 e90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by deezofchuck View Post
i am pretty sure the plastidip is innately flat and you need to add the glossifier or metalizer to add any kind of finish...
I think he meant a plastidip that you can spray over your paint and it will give the paint a matte appearance. There is a vinyl for this as well. I think autovinylsolutions.com carries it but I can't check right now.

The thing about plastidip is that dirt and dust likes to stick to it and get bedded in a bit more than I like. Also, when doing your whole car you have to take precautions to cover things like your radiator/intercooler etc. And, when you peel it sometimes it's tough to get the plastidip out of the nooks and crannies. I love the stuff for wheels, window trim and emblems but am leery of wrapping a whole car and the aftermath thereof. I haven't tried vinyl wrap yet, but I plan on it when I order my bumper/skirts.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 12:04 AM   #12
N54B30A
Captain
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 2021 HS M2C

Quote:
no its a clear matte spray so if i spray it on my jet black 335 it will be matte jet black
      05-09-2012, 03:36 AM   #13
mark25
Private
Rep

Hi Guys

Plastidip would mean changing the color of my car to matt black. What I was after was something that would give my existing paint a matt finish. I ordered Paintshield 5720 based on another member using it in another thread. It protects the existing paint but also gives it a matt appearance. Trying for Monte Carlo Frozen look
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 09:55 AM   #14
deezofchuck
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhart View Post
I think he meant a plastidip that you can spray over your paint and it will give the paint a matte appearance. There is a vinyl for this as well. I think autovinylsolutions.com carries it but I can't check right now.

The thing about plastidip is that dirt and dust likes to stick to it and get bedded in a bit more than I like. Also, when doing your whole car you have to take precautions to cover things like your radiator/intercooler etc. And, when you peel it sometimes it's tough to get the plastidip out of the nooks and crannies. I love the stuff for wheels, window trim and emblems but am leery of wrapping a whole car and the aftermath thereof. I haven't tried vinyl wrap yet, but I plan on it when I order my bumper/skirts.
yeah - good call - I guess OP was wondering how to make his current paint look matte - which the clear plastidip would achieve.

so - I wanted to do my whole too - but I am having second thoughts after you saying it attracts a lot of debris bc that is my main concern. Is it easy to clean off with a hand wash at least? I'm also worried about the edges eventually peeling and losing it's grip since it's not actually bonding to the clear coat layer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahyoun View Post
no its a clear matte spray so if i spray it on my jet black 335 it will be matte jet black
Understood but you made it sound like clear plastidip was something new - which I didn't think it was - if clear is new - my bad. My point was - no matter what color you use - it will dry flat/matte - and you could add a finish to it such as a metalizer or glossifier.
      05-09-2012, 09:57 AM   #15
deezofchuck
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark25 View Post
Hi Guys

Plastidip would mean changing the color of my car to matt black. What I was after was something that would give my existing paint a matt finish. I ordered Paintshield 5720 based on another member using it in another thread. It protects the existing paint but also gives it a matt appearance. Trying for Monte Carlo Frozen look
I haven't seen someone do a full car with clear plastidip yet to achieve a matte original paint look. You should try it! You could also get a custom color made or mix your own into the clear plastidip solution.

Post some pics up when you do it!
      05-09-2012, 06:14 PM   #16
jdhart
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
so - I wanted to do my whole too - but I am having second thoughts after you saying it attracts a lot of debris bc that is my main concern. Is it easy to clean off with a hand wash at least? I'm also worried about the edges eventually peeling and losing it's grip since it's not actually bonding to the clear coat layer.
Ya, idk I have seen pics of a few others who have done their full car, and yes for the price it looks decent. And on a ... 10 year old Subaru I would be all for it. And, the nice thing about it is as long as your initial coating is even and thick, you can cover most blemishes by respraying over the top of the old. It will bond to the old stuff and makes blemishes difficult to notice.

But I really think that the finish isn't right on a BMW with this approach for a whole car. Plastidip is "soft" and has no protective clear coat. So, tiny little dust particles at 70+ freeway speeds will get embedded into it and will not come out with a simple washing. If you don't drive very often or at high speeds and wash the car a couple times a week you could probably prevent this. But at the same time, you are protecting your paint from those same elements ...

Look at this post:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=684511

Pics 9, 13 and 14 seem to have a very inconsistent finish to me, not the look I want on my BMW, which for me is going to make the price of vinyl worth it.

Thing is, if you spray it and after a while the finish is looking shabby ... peel it off. All you have wasted is a little pocket change on the dip and some of your own time. Keep in mind too that you will probably have to reapply the finish in about 6-10 months depending on driving location and habits.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 06:28 PM   #17
aron
Private
Rep
Drives: aw e93 n54

I saw this on the m3post side.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=679223

It's a product called Paint Shield, the guy had used it to coat his car prior to a track day and it turned out in a frozen look.

http://www.strippablecoating.com/Aut...king_film.aspx

It doesn't look as matte as plastidip, which is a plus to me. I'd try it on white, but not sure i'd want all this stuff dripping into the gaps on my roof.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 06:45 PM   #18
jdhart
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aron View Post

It's a product called Paint Shield, the guy had used it to coat his car prior to a track day and it turned out in a frozen look.

It doesn't look as matte as plastidip, which is a plus to me. I'd try it on white, but not sure i'd want all this stuff dripping into the gaps on my roof.
That looks great on the blue. dulled, but not quite full matte, very nice.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 11:10 PM   #19
dvpouldar26
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 328i, Porsche 987.1

I do not recommend platidipping your whole car. The finish is not as nice as a vinyl wrap. You might as well go with a conventional matte black vinyl wrap. I wouldn't do a matte wrap either because the OP stated he wants to keep his car monte carlo blue, albeit in a matte finish. I'd look into a matte clear bra such as Aerotect Frostbite, Premier Satinguard, or Xpel Stealth. With these products, you keep the color of your original paint, but have a matte finish. Also, compared to a vinyl wrap, these clear bras show the metallics and pearls in your paint which "pop" more once matte. Conventional vinyl wraps have no mettalics in them and are just flat, unless a gloss vinyl is used with an overlaminate to make it matte. This is more expensive than regular vinyl though. Although a matte or satin clear bra will cost more, I think the results are worth it and will speak for themselves.

Application is a bit more difficult as clear bra is thicker than vinyl, but you also get the added benefit of the protection.
Jet Black / Gloss Black Grilles / 8000k D1S low beam / 6000k HID fogs / GP Thunder 8500k angels & cornering bulbs / black reflectors / gloss black vinyled window trim / tints / smoked rear turn signals / black roundels / AC Schnitzer roof spoiler / VRS style decklid spoiler / Matte black Stripes / Rear fogs / matte mirrors / 19" LM reps / APR lip
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2012, 09:18 AM   #20
deezofchuck
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhart View Post
Ya, idk I have seen pics of a few others who have done their full car, and yes for the price it looks decent. And on a ... 10 year old Subaru I would be all for it. And, the nice thing about it is as long as your initial coating is even and thick, you can cover most blemishes by respraying over the top of the old. It will bond to the old stuff and makes blemishes difficult to notice.

But I really think that the finish isn't right on a BMW with this approach for a whole car. Plastidip is "soft" and has no protective clear coat. So, tiny little dust particles at 70+ freeway speeds will get embedded into it and will not come out with a simple washing. If you don't drive very often or at high speeds and wash the car a couple times a week you could probably prevent this. But at the same time, you are protecting your paint from those same elements ...

Look at this post:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=684511

Pics 9, 13 and 14 seem to have a very inconsistent finish to me, not the look I want on my BMW, which for me is going to make the price of vinyl worth it.

Thing is, if you spray it and after a while the finish is looking shabby ... peel it off. All you have wasted is a little pocket change on the dip and some of your own time. Keep in mind too that you will probably have to reapply the finish in about 6-10 months depending on driving location and habits.
I think they look more inconsistent from the lighting? I'm sure it looks better in person bc unless you have perfect lighting and a DSLR it's hard to catch all the details...unfortunately I do not see many plastidipped cars roaming around my area...

Either way I am reconsidering what I want to do - I guess after I dip my window trim I will determine if it's worth doing the whole car - but that was my MAIN concern - how the plastidip attracts dirt and how easy it is to clean...since my car isn't garaged I thought it was be a nice look AND protector - but now I think it may be the opposite.

Either way thanks for the insight!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aron View Post

This is cool! and he ROLLED it on? I definitely want to put my new spray station to use so I want to spray something! Will research this material now....if it has other colors it would be a fun way to change it up. Since I have Jet Black and it shows all these swirls and scratches I don't mind trying different things - I really want the frozen gray look!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvpouldar26 View Post
I do not recommend platidipping your whole car. The finish is not as nice as a vinyl wrap. You might as well go with a conventional matte black vinyl wrap. I wouldn't do a matte wrap either because the OP stated he wants to keep his car monte carlo blue, albeit in a matte finish. I'd look into a matte clear bra such as Aerotect Frostbite, Premier Satinguard, or Xpel Stealth. With these products, you keep the color of your original paint, but have a matte finish. Also, compared to a vinyl wrap, these clear bras show the metallics and pearls in your paint which "pop" more once matte. Conventional vinyl wraps have no mettalics in them and are just flat, unless a gloss vinyl is used with an overlaminate to make it matte. This is more expensive than regular vinyl though. Although a matte or satin clear bra will cost more, I think the results are worth it and will speak for themselves.

Application is a bit more difficult as clear bra is thicker than vinyl, but you also get the added benefit of the protection.
thanks for the options! I think I am starting to reconsider the whole care thing - I will see after window trim and maybe my stock sport wheels...
      05-10-2012, 10:06 AM   #21
SpunkyXL
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07' 335i Coupe

Will rain effect the Vinyl Wrap/Plastic dip? Are car washed no longer necessary with this, lol
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2012, 10:14 AM   #22
mashimarho
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: E92 M3 & F80 M3 & G82 M4

Garage List
Plastidip is supposed to just peel off... It isn't supposed to peel the paint off.
I think it looks pretty clean too if you ask me.