E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > E90 N47 320d Crank no start.

07-03-2023, 07:31 AM   #1
AbuHsn
Registered
Rep
Drives: E90 sedan 2011 N47 320d

E90 N47 320d Crank no start.

Hello and good afternoon everybody.

I’m new to this forum.
Please if someone can direct me towards a solution here.
Problem:

I’ve been doing some work on my e90 320d n47 2011 last month.
The car had a turbo actuator problem and a bit of intake seal leaking so I decided to sort it out. Cleaned the intake manifold and part of the intake head block and intake valves to the best of my ability. Put a new turbo and actuator. And also intake manifold gasket. Put everything back, connected all the connection leads carefully, cranked the car.
At first the car didn’t crank and just clicked and showed very little power, desh lights and readings would disappear upon pressing the start button and car would go dead.
Checked the battery and it showed 10v, understandably because car had stood for about 2 weeks while I was sorting and cleaning.
So I decided to jump start the car which I did by connecting jump lead under for hood as recommended by the bmw.
The car cranked ok with what felt like strong compression and was about to start for about 5-6 attempts ( multiple long cranks makes sense to me as I’d been cleaning intake valves and may be some of the cleaners fluids went down some of the cylinders ) but it did not start.

After about 6-7 attempts the cranking noise suddenly changed with what sounded not very powerful or like low compressions and tuning a bit easy.

My efforts so far;

My First thoughts, low battery so
Took the battery out and left it on charge for 3 days. It charged fully to 13.2V and
put it back and tried, car cranked but didn’t start. It just wouldn’t fire up. The check was same as I described, a bit less compressed and a bit too fast in rotation and less powerful from the normal I would say.

Tried some quick start but no response which suggested to me there’s no spark happening in cylinders

My Second thought that it’s gone into theft mode because of multiple failed attempts to start the car with low battery and jumped with another started car ( like my other e90 2008 did once ) and needs activate and sync with INPA.
Connected INPA 5.06 AND checked the codes; it came up with following;

I tried to access CAS functions and sync cas -> ews but it didn’t show any option for that and came up as in pix below

Later I connected ISTA+ and read codes and it showed as in pic below

I’ve been on it for two weeks now and searching for hep online aswell but can’t find anyone with similar problems or a solution.

I’ve learned so far that E90 2011 has EWS4 and it doesn’t require any sync with CAS module anymore.

I’ve tried resetting Cas and DDE which I cloud with no issues but no start.

Tried resetting the battery by disconnecting but no luck.

I have checked all the connections/ plugs / wiring I came across while fixing the car but they are good properly connected. Also checked connectivity between plugs and ecu wiring grip-terminals.

Checked all visible grounds but didn’t find any thing wrong or loose.

Checked all fuses and relays. Fuses are good. All Relays on JB and ecu click when taken out and tested on 12V. Also they are in range with Risistance. But I plan to replace them anyway and have ordered online and waiting.
One of the relay Black located with DDE Under hood was super burning hot ( May suggest something abnormal).

Got DDE AND CAS modules out and checked for any visible damage or flooding and reconnected the connectors after cleaning. All seems good but still no start.

Removed Junction Box and fuse board and checked for any visible damage or burn to connections and in particular the main power red cable junction from the battery. Nothing suspicious. Same bolts as battery.

Tried clearing up the codes but One code remains

Also tried on my Delphi diag. Came up with the same code.

Car can crank for long time but does not start.

Request:

So can any one direct me to what do I need and where do I start to fix it as I’m struck.

To me it seems like an electric issue but could it be
A- BAD CAS MODULE
B- KEY CODING PROBLEM
C- CAS CODING ISSUE
? ? ?
But how to check? Where is this TERMINAL 15 (0x130)?

TOOL I HAVE.

1- INPA 5.06 ( updated with dde7x.ipo) used a bit for reading and resetting.
2-ncs dummy never used
3- ncs expert never used
4- bmw coding tool never used
5- Ista +
6- k-D can cable
7 - Volt meter

I’ll appreciate any help.

Thanks for reading.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0