E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > E90 XI front decel clicking

05-21-2019, 07:21 PM   #1
squaredphoto
First Lieutenant
Poland
Rep
Drives: E91

Garage List
2018 BMW 340i  [0.00]
E90 XI front decel clicking

Between speeds ranging 80 to 15 mph, if I decelerate either by coasting or braking, there is rotational based clicking coming from the front.

The noise is much more apparent in person and my phone does a poor job picking it up. In the video, whenever slowing down, you can hear a "do-do-do-do-do.." noise.

I've replaced an axle with a used one and the noise went away but I tore that axles outer CV boot and the noise returned. I got that boot replaced and repacked with grease but no change.

Front suspension setup:
Koni yellows
Eibach RWD springs
GroundControl camber plates
OEM end links

Start around :20
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2019, 07:42 PM   #2
jskin1510
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 BMW 335xi

is it only on decel? from the video sounds like maybe a wheel bearing to me but if it was should be at any speed and the "do do do do" you described would change pace with the wheels speed. Also as you are going around a left or right turn, and it goes away on one not the other, that might give you an idea if it's a wheel bearing and if so, what side of the vehicle.
      06-04-2019, 09:59 PM   #3
squaredphoto
First Lieutenant
Poland
Rep
Drives: E91

Garage List
2018 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jskin1510 View Post
is it only on decel? from the video sounds like maybe a wheel bearing to me but if it was should be at any speed and the "do do do do" you described would change pace with the wheels speed. Also as you are going around a left or right turn, and it goes away on one not the other, that might give you an idea if it's a wheel bearing and if so, what side of the vehicle.
So...

It was due to cupped tires. Put the front tires on the rear and the noise went away. I kinda feel a lil stupid for not trying this by oh well.

I'll keep listening for noise
Appreciate 0