E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Decision For Headlight

04-26-2021, 02:20 PM   #23
BB_cuda
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D Msport, 2013 X5D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegadenick View Post
Have you tried a different bulb? Which ones are you using?
My setup is a departure from normal E90 LCI adaptive. Short answer is I run D2S bulbs. I have OSRAM CBI, I think but will check. I'd have to go look at my TRS purchases. That picture is from before i converted over to D2S. I run old school Hella ballasts that have been modified to output 50W per side. This was the motivation to switch to D2S.

I went out in backyard last night (bright street light in front where the driveway is). I shot toward back fence~ 50 foot distance. OMFG, i see a way different and wide cutoff with nice blue cutoff in central area. Very sharp and bright.

I'm working on another pair of projectors now as i found them cheap on ebay. It is rare to be able to find projectors by themselves. I got more clear STi-R lenses and waiting on adapter rings to be 3D printed.

EDIT: Yes, OSRAM XENARC 66240 Cool Blue Intense (CBI)
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2021, 09:04 PM   #24
Renegadenick
Petrol Head
Rep
Drives: Slow Cars

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_cuda View Post
Quote:
Have you tried a different bulb? Which ones are you using?
My setup is a departure from normal E90 LCI adaptive. Short answer is I run D2S bulbs. I have OSRAM CBI, I think but will check. I'd have to go look at my TRS purchases. That picture is from before i converted over to D2S. I run old school Hella ballasts that have been modified to output 50W per side. This was the motivation to switch to D2S.

I went out in backyard last night (bright street light in front where the driveway is). I shot toward back fence~ 50 foot distance. OMFG, i see a way different and wide cutoff with nice blue cutoff in central area. Very sharp and bright.

I'm working on another pair of projectors now as i found them cheap on ebay. It is rare to be able to find projectors by themselves. I got more clear STi-R lenses and waiting on adapter rings to be 3D printed.

EDIT: Yes, OSRAM XENARC 66240 Cool Blue Intense (CBI)
That's awesome. So the cutout is all figured out with the new bulb/ballast combo? I was looking to run a 55w ballast eventually but never got around to it.

@Nicholastran213
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2021, 02:31 AM   #25
Vulcan50
Captain
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_cuda View Post
Can you explain why it is trimmed and perhaps what did i screw up in my trial? thanks
Realizing I didn't answer this question.

The tab softens the cutoff. After trimming otitis gives you a sharp cutoff line.

As for focusing I'd get the tuning kit from retrofit source. They are basically ring shaped spacers that you stack to get the focus you want. I personally put the headlight housing (minus the lens), and left the projector assembly loose so I could just plug it in and try it, then add/remove without full install/disassembly every time. If I remember correctly I didn't use any.

I did have to grind down the lens, which I made a thread about. How to grind down a projector lens to fit the holder https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1735825
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2021, 11:33 AM   #26
BB_cuda
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan50 View Post
Realizing I did answer this question.

The tab softens the cutoff. After trimming otitis gives you a sharp cutoff line.

As for focusing I'd get the tuning kit from retrofit source. They are basically ring shaped spacers that you stack to get the focus you want. I personally put the headlight housing (minus the lens), and left the projector assembly loose so I could just plug it in and try it, then add/remove without full install/disassembly every time. If I remember correctly I didn't use any.

I did have to grind down the lens, which I made a thread about. How to grind down a projector lens to fit the holder https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1735825
Yes, the paper spacers were purchased from TRS to get a guestimate of 1st iteration of 3D printed adapter's offset dimension. I know the drill here but thanks.

The E90 LCI adaptive lens holder has a weird 3 finger holding setup. The paper spacers and slightly undersize STi-R lens will fall through the holder. Thus, my adapter holds the undersize STi-R lens AND has the 3 keyways on it to be held by the 3 fingers.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2021, 01:07 PM   #27
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by YnnoJ420 View Post
Hi everyone! The headlights on my 2007 335i has seen better days and the yellow haze gotta go. The headlights are in perfect working conditions but I'm at a impasse on how to go about the headlights. I have the pre-LCI xenon headlight w/ adaptive h'lamp and my options I'm thinking of is this;

1) Use some headlight restore kit or wet sand it down till the haze is gone. (Super cheap option)

2) New headlight lens. I'm leaning to this option a little more just cause ill be able to customize the headlight (New rings, LED Brow, Demon eye, ECT.) to however I wish once I crack it open for the new lens. Once open I plan on using bavgruppe design products to replace the OEM lighting. Only issue is that I have no idea what the part number is or where to buy just the headlight cover. (If anyone has any idea where to get them, please let me know! It would help me out greatly!) I searched eBay and contacted a seller who said its compatible with my pre-LCI headlights but wanted to get another's opinion. I'm always skeptical about eBay.. Here's the link to the seller.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/402567845225?ul_noapp=true

3) Save up and buy a custom headlight from a local bavgruppe design distributer called bayoptiks. They have retrofit pre-LCI headlights but at the price of your first born. I like the headlights but I feel I'm capable of putting together the headlights myself if I can find the cover to save some money. Heres's the link to the retro fit headlights from bayoptiks.

https://bayoptiks.com/collections/e9...13045159264309

4) Maybe 2nd cheapest option is to code the car and switch to halogen but I'm fairly new to coding and probably need to do some research. IMO I like xenon lights more then the halogen so rather stick with xenon lights.

Let me know your opinions and if theirs any other options I should look into! Thanks!
Well, a 3rd option would to buy newer or almost new headlights on eBay. They are generally $350-400.00 each.

Personally, I would try option #1.

Option #2 isn't a DIY, I'd recommend. I've done it and broke the angle eye rings in the process of taking the lens off. The angle eye rings are connected to the lenses. You would probably want to use an oven at 200 degrees to soften up the glue & you will need some marine type of sealant.

No way would I go from Xeon to Halogen.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2021, 11:19 AM   #28
BB_cuda
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mweisdorfer View Post
Well, a 3rd option would to buy newer or almost new headlights on eBay. They are generally $350-400.00 each.

Personally, I would try option #1.

Option #2 isn't a DIY, I'd recommend. I've done it and broke the angle eye rings in the process of taking the lens off. The angle eye rings are connected to the lenses. You would probably want to use an oven at 200 degrees to soften up the glue & you will need some marine type of sealant.

No way would I go from Xeon to Halogen.
Answer is specific to E90 LCI adaptive. You have to careful to not hook the outer angel eye with the shroud that screwed into the housing lens.

The angle eye is not fastened to the outer shroud but can get hooked.

I start the extraction of the lens on the inboard corner but I’ve pulled out about 4 lenses now.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2021, 10:02 AM   #29
Aquastevae
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2004 325i E46, 2010 335i E90

Quote:
Bavgruppe has that style you want. They call it "vision."

Thanks. I'll check it out.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2021, 06:50 PM   #30
langsbr
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis561 View Post
Removing the lenses on an e90 is very difficult, well you have to cut around the housing to be able to stick some sort of knife to break the seal. I did mine with some eBay dtm led lights. I suggest just polishing the lenses and applying some sort of clear coat
Apparently you can use a mixture of acetone and goo gone in a syringe to disolve the permaseal. Then heating makes the lenses easier to remove. Wish I had known that 2 years ago!
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2021, 10:41 PM   #31
Luis561
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by langsbr View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis561 View Post
Removing the lenses on an e90 is very difficult, well you have to cut around the housing to be able to stick some sort of knife to break the seal. I did mine with some eBay dtm led lights. I suggest just polishing the lenses and applying some sort of clear coat
Apparently you can use a mixture of acetone and goo gone in a syringe to disolve the permaseal. Then heating makes the lenses easier to remove. Wish I had known that 2 years ago!
Lol yea same here. I used a dremel and put it back with headlight sealer and small self tapping screws, still worked out though
Appreciate 0