E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Help random no start bsd communicaton fault?

05-06-2021, 09:11 PM   #1
HANKEN
Rep
Drives: E92 BMW 335I N54

Help random no start bsd communicaton fault?

Hello everyone,

ANY SUGGESTIONS HIGHLY APPREICATED.

SUPER BRIEF BACKGROUND:

Drove car to work slow no pulls above 2500rpm nice cruising. Nice sunny Florida day. Come back to car after a long shift at work, car parked in parking garage for 13hrs. Boom no crank no start. BSD communication fault.

Attempted to unplug battery for 30 minutes and still nothing same codes. Towed home to worry about it next day.

MYBIMMERBRAIN INC. my bmw guru hookup scanned INPA stated that the water pump was bad and needed new starter. Replaced BOTH and still nothing. Water pump pump is brand new remanaf unit for FCP euro and wont even kick on.

12V on the battery, water pump fuse is not blown, ground connections checked, IBS played with, plugged in and unplugged, still no crank no start.

Any help please this car is cursed, replaced entire engine at home last month due to prev owner leaving gasket and shop rag in oil pan, and re sealed whole motor and replaced. Now this issue. Help

Thanks in advanced.
NH
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2021, 06:42 AM   #2
dpaul
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335xi, 2011 E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HANKEN View Post
Hello everyone,

ANY SUGGESTIONS HIGHLY APPREICATED.

SUPER BRIEF BACKGROUND:

Drove car to work slow no pulls above 2500rpm nice cruising. Nice sunny Florida day. Come back to car after a long shift at work, car parked in parking garage for 13hrs. Boom no crank no start. BSD communication fault.

Attempted to unplug battery for 30 minutes and still nothing same codes. Towed home to worry about it next day.

MYBIMMERBRAIN INC. my bmw guru hookup scanned INPA stated that the water pump was bad and needed new starter. Replaced BOTH and still nothing. Water pump pump is brand new remanaf unit for FCP euro and wont even kick on.

12V on the battery, water pump fuse is not blown, ground connections checked, IBS played with, plugged in and unplugged, still no crank no start.

Any help please this car is cursed, replaced entire engine at home last month due to prev owner leaving gasket and shop rag in oil pan, and re sealed whole motor and replaced. Now this issue. Help

Thanks in advanced.
NH
Go back to your indie and ask him for a FULL list of all the codes obtained by INPA. Or at least post the full list of those appears you obtained yourself and indicate how you obtained them.

Actually, I don't know if I'd trust your guru much further. For one, BSD communication faults won't stop the engine and either will a failed water pump - it will set a CEL but that's it. For another, neither INPA nor any other diagnostic program has a way of directly testing the starter - there are no sensors other than current flow from CAS terminal 50 which most of the time signals a CAS problem, not a starter problem So INPA can never "state" that you need a new starter. It sounds like he's just throwing parts at your car.

Seriously, buy a KDCAN cable from Bimmergeeks.net and install BMW Standard tools on your laptop so you don't have to depend on someone else to perform straightforward diagnostic testing. It's a $45 investment.

You report no crank, no start - do you hear a solenoid click when you press the start button or is it dead silent? You checked the voltage at the battery - report it voltage to one decimal place i.e. 12.6 and what do you read when you turn on the ignition and try to start? Measure it with respect to a chassis ground and directly across the battery terminals. Check the voltage at the jumper terminal in the engine compartment and report. Since you've replaced the engine and removed and reconnected wires in the engine compartment, very carefully check the DME power and ground leads.
Appreciate 0