E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Data log Review

08-04-2021, 01:02 PM   #1
JoshApple
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i coupe

My name is Josh and I have a 07 335i and would like some help looking over this log I took today. I have a few areas of interest/concern.

(FMIC, Catless DP's, Chargepipe+BOV, Vargas Stage 1 Turbo Kit + Upgraded Billet Wheel, Silicone Inlets, DCI)

Areas of Interest:

1. Boost tapering off from 8 to 5.5 from 3-6k roughly RPM.
2. STFT variances
3. LTFT variances
4. AFR variances
5. Rail Pressure tapering off from 2800-1800 towards the end of the pull.

I will attach pictures for each of these issues independently in order. The pictures show each of these metrics by themselves however feel free to go to the data zap log and play around yourself.

Hypothesis:

Pretty sure my secondary cats in the mid-pipes are gone but recently the car has gotten overly loud, especially since I put in catless DP's. Especially in the 1.5-2.5k RPM and 5-7k RPM ranges.

All signs are pointing towards o2 sensors from what I have read but would like multiple opinions from more experienced folks. My question is do I bother replacing post-"cat" o2 sensors with catless downpipes?. Also, I replaced one of the pre-cat sensors because it was fried however I never replaced the other, should I do so? I will attach a picture of the old o2 that I replaced. Not sure what caused that but when I replaced the turbos that one was fried. My guess was leaky injectors from before I replaced them. Could all of these wacky metrics from my log be from a faulty o2 sensor? Could this cause the rail pressure to decrease throughout the pull?

https://datazap.me/u/japple7/aug-3rd...11-14-17-18-19

**BETTER LOG**

https://datazap.me/u/japple7/august-4th?log=0&data=21

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Josh

I posted in another thread but got no traction so I need more eyes.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-04-2021, 01:29 PM   #2
lookalikehuuh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i, 2007 335i

Hey can we have you log some different data points? Also what tune are you currently running?

I would like to see at least these logged every time:

Boost PSI
Target Boost PSI
STFT 1 & 2
LTFT 1 & 2
Wastegate duty cycles
RPM
IAT
fuel pressure
Rail presures
Timing corrections cyl 1-6
Timing for cyl 1 alone is fine
accel pedal positon
throttle position
lamba AFRs for both banks
gear

I think you have captures a mix of these in all the different logs but we need a log with at a minimum all of these data points. Boost target is fairly important as we don't know what your current tune is targeting so for all we know it's hitting exactly what its targets are. With Vargas stage1 I would expect closer to like 20+PSI targets, then again its Vargas so they might be defective.

Healthy O2 sensors are pretty critical for these engines if you think you have issues with post cat 02 sensors I would replacement although they aren't as critical as the pre cat sensors, but they are still important for E90 platform to properly adjust fuel trims.
Appreciate 1
      08-04-2021, 01:35 PM   #3
JoshApple
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookalikehuuh View Post
Hey can we have you log some different data points? Also what tune are you currently running?

I would like to see at least these logged every time:

Boost PSI
Target Boost PSI
STFT 1 & 2
LTFT 1 & 2
Wastegate duty cycles
RPM
IAT
fuel pressure
Rail presures
Timing corrections cyl 1-6
Timing for cyl 1 alone is fine
accel pedal positon
throttle position
lamba AFRs for both banks
gear

I think you have captures a mix of these in all the different logs but we need a log with at a minimum all of these data points. Boost target is fairly important as we don't know what your current tune is targeting so for all we know it's hitting exactly what its targets are. With Vargas stage1 I would expect closer to like 20+PSI targets, then again its Vargas so they might be defective.

Healthy O2 sensors are pretty critical for these engines if you think you have issues with post cat 02 sensors I would replacement although they aren't as critical as the pre cat sensors, but they are still important for E90 platform to properly adjust fuel trims.
First of all, thank you for the reply I appreciate it.

I figured I should have included this but I am on STOCK tune. Planning to run MHD stage 2+ very soon but haven't got around to doing it. Want to make sure nothing too major is going on first.

As far as I know the turbos are good. Shop looked at it after they were installed and were all good.

Will do another log and post it in the next couple hours with those metrics.

Just promise me you'll take a look I need some guidance lol!
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2021, 01:42 PM   #4
lookalikehuuh
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshApple View Post

I figured I should have included this but I am on STOCK tune. Planning to run MHD stage 2+ very soon but haven't got around to doing it. Want to make sure nothing too major is going on first.

As far as I know the turbos are good. Shop looked at it after they were installed and were all good.

haha I am no expert but I will definitely take a look at it. I could be wrong but stage 1 turbos with stock map could potentially cause issues alone since the impellers size differences create different boost levels etc. But yeah hopefully some of the much smarter N54 guys will chime in.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2021, 03:52 PM   #5
JoshApple
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

haha I am no expert but I will definitely take a look at it. I could be wrong but stage 1 turbos with stock map could potentially cause issues alone since the impellers size differences create different boost levels etc. But yeah hopefully some of the much smarter N54 guys will chime in.
https://datazap.me/u/japple7/august-4th?log=0&data=21

Best I could get with the roads being busy rn

Hope this is better
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2021, 04:30 PM   #6
lookalikehuuh
Major
United_States
Rep

Oh yeah that's better for me to interpret some stuff.

So fuel trims look ok-ish to me (i could be wrong) what I see happening is the long term fuel trims are adding like 13% so the short term fuel trims then removing about the same amount. I would assume the long term fuel trims would eventually come closer to 0 and could be a results of those damaged oxygen sensors you had before. I wonder if an adaptations reset could help here with trims.

for boost your target is actually tapering off near redline but there definitely appears to be some type of boost leak higher in the RPM range before redline, but again this could be an artifact of the stage1 turbos on the stock tune. Your target boost at redline is 5.9 PSI and your pretty darn close to it so Im not as concerned right at redline.

HPFP looks a bit weak to me since its below what I would like at near redline so maybe something to consider addressing in the near future but if your not running e85 mixes you might be borderline ok.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2021, 04:36 PM   #7
JoshApple
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:

So fuel trims look ok-ish to me (i could be wrong) what I see happening is the long term fuel trims are adding like 13% so the short term fuel trims then removing about the same amount. I would assume the long term fuel trims would eventually come closer to 0 and could be a results of those damaged oxygen sensors you had before. I wonder if an adaptations reset could help here with trims.

for boost your target is actually tapering off near redline but there definitely appears to be some type of boost leak higher in the RPM range before redline, but again this could be an artifact of the stage1 turbos on the stock tune. Your target boost at redline is 5.9 PSI and your pretty darn close to it so Im not as concerned right at redline.

HPFP looks a bit weak to me since its below what I would like at near redline so maybe something to consider addressing in the near future but if your not running e85 mixes you might be borderline ok.
Good info here I appreciate it

I will reset fuel trims and log again and see what's happening. As for the boost issue I may try tuning it and see if that fixes it and if there still is some tapering towards redline. Did you notice the 2 ish PSI underboosting around 5k rpm? Seems unusual.

As for the HPFP, it was replace not long ago at all (~10-15k miles) as well as LPFP and regulator.

Thoughts on replacing the other bank pre cat o2?

Probably need coils and plugs soon as well

Good areas to check for boost leak?
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2021, 10:11 PM   #8
Rivers
Old Man
Philippines
Rep
Drives: DGM 335xi

Garage List
https://www.docdroid.net/IyQ24N5/int...tBEnOWh178npTk
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2021, 06:37 PM   #9
JoshApple
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

New logs

Quote:

So reset both "lambda probe" and "Lambda control" adaptations in INPA and ran 3 more logs. Im seeing that the throttle position is not going further than 81% at full accelerator pedal position. What could be causing this? LTFT's look better but AFRs are still wacky. Timing corrections also don't look normal to me.

This link has 3 data logs in it you just have to click change log in the top right.

https://datazap.me/u/japple7/aug-5th?log=2&data=3-21

Let me know what you think

Thanks, Josh

Last edited by JoshApple; 08-05-2021 at 06:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2021, 02:50 PM   #10
lookalikehuuh
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So reset both "lambda probe" and "Lambda control" adaptations in INPA and ran 3 more logs. Im seeing that the throttle position is not going further than 81% at full accelerator pedal position. What could be causing this? LTFT's look better but AFRs are still wacky. Timing corrections also don't look normal to me.

This link has 3 data logs in it you just have to click change log in the top right.

https://datazap.me/u/japple7/aug-5th?log=2&data=3-21

Let me know what you think

Thanks, Josh
Hey this look looks much better to me, you do still have a boost leak of a couple PSI in the upper midrange.

Throttle position is perfect at 81% that is considered fully open for these cars so no issue there. AFRs look fine to me they get richer as you get higher in the RPM range. Are you expecting them to stay around 14.7 or something?

Timing corrections look like they started before you went WOT, while some corrections are normal during normal driving 1 see nearly 8* for one which is a bit much. When is the last time you did plugs/coils on your car? Also what grade/brand of fuel are you running? In my experience a good quality fuel like Shell V-power can make a big difference in the timing corrections Arco/BP/Costco or other cheap fuels used to trigger timing corrections galore in my car the few times I used them.
Appreciate 0