E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > downpipes dilemma

12-25-2012, 10:24 PM   #1
tomtom11
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i

downpipes dilemma

hello i'm sure this has been discussed before but i cant seem to find the info i am looking for. it seems like an overwhelming about of people on here have aftermarkets downpipes. i'm sure at least some of you still are under warranty. do you remove them every time you go to the dealer? i want to get them sooo bad but i cant deal with removing them every time. i know if something breaks the dealer needs to prove that component caused the failure. but lets say for example i go in for an oil change and they jack the car up and note that i have downpipes. then 5 months later my turbos start to die and i remove the downpipes and put the stock ones back in. cant the dealer say you had the other downpipes installed before so we're not going to fix this? or do the downpipes need to be installed at the time when they see the car for the turbo problem? thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2012, 10:41 PM   #2
Zebra99
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is E93

Garage List
I will say that it depends on your SA and the dealer you're working with.

Some will rat you out and others don't care. I would however, if anything breaks or fails put back the old ones when doing more serious work such as turbos or anything exhaust related.

As for DD they're are the DP fix and code suppression so having DP's will give you that extra little kick in the pants and put less stress on your turbo system.

Go to an Indy shop for any maintenance if your worried about work being done and when something serious happens swap out the mods.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2012, 10:46 PM   #3
tomtom11
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebra99 View Post
I will say that it depends on your SA and the dealer you're working with.

Some will rat you out and others don't care. I would however, if anything breaks or fails put back the old ones when doing more serious work such as turbos or anything exhaust related.

As for DD they're are the DP fix and code suppression so having DP's will give you that extra little kick in the pants and put less stress on your turbo system.

Go to an Indy shop for any maintenance if your worried about work being done and when something serious happens swap out the mods.
thank you for your reply. the last line of what you said is what i might do. however the first line makes me hesitant if i chose to stay with using the dealer for service. it just seems like many many people on this forum have downpipes. do you guys leave them in and then when shit goes wrong you take them out and the dealer replaces the parts you need? that would be fine with me. i'm just worried that if i bring the car in for something else they will take note of the downpipes and then later down the road if i have an issue with the turbos and i come in with my stock downpipes they will say sorry we know you had different ones in before. thats where i am confused, is the policy. if they have to claim the part caused the issue, can they only do that if the part is currently on the car? or can they say the downpipes you had 2 months ago caused this problem?
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2012, 10:59 PM   #4
Zebra99
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Whether or not they need to "prove" anything it'll be a huge headache for you. Might as well avoid the whole situation by going in stock if you have to.

I would never do work at the stealership unless its warranty covered work. They're are plenty of better qualified Indy shops out there.

DP's are fun as hell, but a bitch to install/remove if you're not set-up properly at home. The exhaust gasket is also only reusable a few times - it's not invincible so eventually of you've done enough swaps I'd replace it. Otherwise, enjoy the car dude!

And stop going to the stealership lol!
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2012, 11:21 PM   #5
tomtom11
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebra99 View Post
Whether or not they need to "prove" anything it'll be a huge headache for you. Might as well avoid the whole situation by going in stock if you have to.

I would never do work at the stealership unless its warranty covered work. They're are plenty of better qualified Indy shops out there.

DP's are fun as hell, but a bitch to install/remove if you're not set-up properly at home. The exhaust gasket is also only reusable a few times - it's not invincible so eventually of you've done enough swaps I'd replace it. Otherwise, enjoy the car dude!

And stop going to the stealership lol!
thank you for your prompt replies. i'm still under CPO warranty so the stealership isnt a stealership for about another 2 years lol. the turbo warranty was extended to like 82,000 miles or something so i would have to wait a very long time before getting the downpipes

i also get a free oil change every 7,500 miles. because i do my own at 7,500 miles then when it hits 15,000 miles the dealer does the free one. HOW THE F DO SO MANY OF YOU GUYS HAVE DOWNPIPES? LOL
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2012, 12:05 AM   #6
Zebra99
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
A lot of guys swap every visit and others don't care lol....
And then again others may have decent relationships with their stealership.

As for me, I'm out of warranty and enjoy the car as much as possible! You'll love the extra grunt it gives the exhaust note when your both DD and giving her into high RPM

....but, from the sounds of it maybe not for another two years lol.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2012, 09:36 AM   #7
james008
Captain
Rep
Drives: AW 09 335i

I just replaced my raceland DP's for the OEM pipes so that I can go in for DME updates. I am also at 67,000 miles and am anticipating the possibility of needing turbos under warranty. Some interesting things I have noticed switching from catless to OEM, slightly quieter startup and drone on highway, a noticible difference in initial pickup, boost is about .3 or .4 higher with OEM DP's and my oil cooler temp was about 10 deg. cooler which seemed kinda wierd. I do have 2.5 inch pipe and resinators for mufflers which is the cause of a lot of drone and noise.
      12-26-2012, 10:05 AM   #8
Zebra99
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by james008
I just replaced my raceland DP's for the OEM pipes so that I can go in for DME updates. I am also at 67,000 miles and am anticipating the possibility of needing turbos under warranty. Some interesting things I have noticed switching from catless to OEM, slightly quieter startup and drone on highway, a noticible difference in initial pickup, boost is about .3 or .4 higher with OEM DP's and my oil cooler temp was about 10 deg. cooler which seemed kinda wierd. I do have 2.5 inch pipe and resinators for mufflers which is the cause of a lot of drone and noise.
If you're boosting more with OEM DP's then you have a problem lol...

The aftermarket DP's flow much better than stock so there is no reason that they should hold less boost.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2012, 12:50 PM   #9
ken1137
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW S1000XR

Garage List
2009 e90 335i  [6.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtom11 View Post
hello i'm sure this has been discussed before but i cant seem to find the info i am looking for. it seems like an overwhelming about of people on here have aftermarkets downpipes. i'm sure at least some of you still are under warranty. do you remove them every time you go to the dealer? i want to get them sooo bad but i cant deal with removing them every time. i know if something breaks the dealer needs to prove that component caused the failure. but lets say for example i go in for an oil change and they jack the car up and note that i have downpipes. then 5 months later my turbos start to die and i remove the downpipes and put the stock ones back in. cant the dealer say you had the other downpipes installed before so we're not going to fix this? or do the downpipes need to be installed at the time when they see the car for the turbo problem? thanks
I believe if they notice the DPs, from previous work, it will be noted in their system. That said, they still have to prove the DPs caused the turbo failure and with the NEW turbo/wastegate warranty I bet they would still have to pay. You might need a lawyer though. I myself have ARs and keep them in since it is a pain in the ass to remove and re-install.

BMWCCA member
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2012, 01:02 PM   #10
cn555ic
United_States
Rep

If warranty is your concern don't do it. PITA to take on and off especially if your paying someone to do install. If u do it yourself its still a PITA.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2012, 02:16 PM   #11
Eric335
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 SG 335i 6MT

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [7.66]
Mainly depends on the SA, otherwise....

Take them out for major warranty claims (turbo/wastegates/engine failure/whatever) and leave them in for minor things (like oil changes, tires, suspension, interior trim peeling lol)

Honestly, depends on your SAs attitude.

If you can buy a floor jack, jack stands, a 3/8" u-joint, ratchet, and a couple sockets, then its not too bad. But with 200-300$ per install/uninstall, it could get expensive.
      12-26-2012, 02:33 PM   #12
BEAR-AvHistory
2020 Z4 M40i - 2022 M4C Convt
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i - 2022 M4C Convrt

Garage List
You did not say what mods you have only the you WANT downpipes. If you are not FBO you don't NEED them so its a waste of time & money. Any number of cars are in the low 12's high 11's without aftermarket downpipes.

Also you did not say what state you are in, DP's will not pass most emission tests.

2022 M4C - 2020 Z4 M40i - 2023 FORD Expedition XLT Max 4X4 400BHP - 2009 V-Star - 1998 Ranger 4X4 5MT - 1965 Cobra (R) 5MT - 2023 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 6MT
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2012, 06:33 PM   #13
tomtom11
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory View Post
You did not say what mods you have only the you WANT downpipes. If you are not FBO you don't NEED them so its a waste of time & money. Any number of cars are in the low 12's high 11's without aftermarket downpipes.

Also you did not say what state you are in, DP's will not pass most emission tests.
I have jb4 and DCI. i leave the dci in because they said they didnt care. and i take the jb4 out when i'm going in for engine related stuff i take it out. i deff wont be able to take the downpipes out myself. the problem is the downpipes are so visible if they put the car up on the lift for anything at all they will see the downpipes immediately unless i'm mistaken. i live in NY i'm pretty sure they just connect the car to the OBDII so i'm not worried about that at all. the only thing i worry about is warranty related stuff down the road.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2012, 06:35 PM   #14
tomtom11
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric335 View Post
Mainly depends on the SA, otherwise....

Take them out for major warranty claims (turbo/wastegates/engine failure/whatever) and leave them in for minor things (like oil changes, tires, suspension, interior trim peeling lol)

Honestly, depends on your SAs attitude.

If you can buy a floor jack, jack stands, a 3/8" u-joint, ratchet, and a couple sockets, then its not too bad. But with 200-300$ per install/uninstall, it could get expensive.
tires, suspension, oil change, all of those things they would put the car on a lift and see the downpipes. thats why it seems like there are a lot of opportunities for them to see the aftermarket downpipes.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2012, 01:02 PM   #15
Eric335
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 SG 335i 6MT

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [7.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtom11 View Post
tires, suspension, oil change, all of those things they would put the car on a lift and see the downpipes. thats why it seems like there are a lot of opportunities for them to see the aftermarket downpipes.
In my opinion, its not about "seeing" it as much as "blaming" it. Like if your gettting warranty work on your tires/suspension, they wont blame it on the downpipes.

And when you need to have warranty on your turbos/wastegate/whatever, take the downpipes off, and they cant blame it on that because you dont have them on there

Although some SAs will be a jerk and bring it up . Just depends
      12-28-2012, 03:00 PM   #16
Timore
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335XI

Garage List
I went in with downpipes/dci/bov recently and they didnt say a word. All I did was unflash the COBB. Depends on the dealer I guess.
Appreciate 0