E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > No License Plate

05-06-2008, 02:54 AM   #1
sismic
Second Lieutenant
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Garage List
2008 E92  [0.00]
No License Plate

Hello Guys,

It is my first post finally. After almost one year checking out this forum, I learn lots of things about 3 series and finally I made order on my Alpine White 335i e92 and it will arrive in two weeks. Can't wait until I sit behind the steering wheel

My car configuration:
AW Auto 335i
M Sport Package
Coral Red interior with Grey Popplar
Sun Roof
USB
19" Style 225 M

I have started thinking what modification i can do, and I was thinking either not to put any license plate on the front at all or put a custom slim plate at the bottom of front bumper grill.

This car will use M style bumper and it should have ample space to put the slim license plate there.

When I check with dealer, they againts this idea and they told me it will limit the air flows to the cooling system because the radiator is there. They told warranty will be affected. Do you guys think this is true,if cooling system is affected?

Anyone has ever deleted license plate on the front side and having issue with cops specially in Victoria?
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2008, 03:23 AM   #2
BMW //MPOWER
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 M340i xdrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sismic View Post
Hello Guys,

It is my first post finally. After almost one year checking out this forum, I learn lots of things about 3 series and finally I made order on my Alpine White 335i e92 and it will arrive in two weeks. Can't wait until I sit behind the steering wheel

My car configuration:
AW Auto 335i
M Sport Package
Sun Roof
USB
19" Style 225 M

I have started thinking what modification i can do, and I was thinking either not to put any license plate on the front at all or put a custom slim plate at the bottom of front bumper grill.

This car will use M style bumper and it should have ample space to put the slim license plate there.

When I check with dealer, they againts this idea and they told me it will limit the air flows to the cooling system because the radiator is there. They told warranty will be affected. Do you guys think this is true,if cooling system is affected?

Anyone has ever deleted license plate on the front side and having issue with cops specially in Victoria?
Welcome.
Ok are you NUTS?
Of course putting your licence plate infront of your intercooler & air intake will cause issues as it will restrict air intake and most likely lead to overheating amongst other things (not good in a turbo), including reduced performance.
You may have noticed in VIC a lot of the guys with Skylines, VL turbos and alike have their licence plates sitting to one side of their bumpers, for this very reason.
Why on earth wouldn't you just put your plate in the usual position? The Vic slimline plates look fine, plus if you don't put them in a bracket they take up hardly any space on the bumper.
BMW E46 325Ci M Clubsport Carbon Black
BMW E36 318i Alpine White M Sport
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2008, 03:28 AM   #3
1q2w3e4r
Breakfast at Tiffany's
Rep
Drives: BMW

Is the intercooler right up front in the 335? I can't remember, never paid too much attention with mine apart from having a chuckle at how tiny it was. It would be mounted quite low too though.

Your other option is to leave the front plate off. The police don't like it, but you can always use the "I just had the front bar repainted officer and the paint shop didn't refit it. I have it in the boot and are doing it this weekend" excuse. It's worked for me in the past.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2008, 05:49 AM   #4
s4008616
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 991 Carrera S

What? So we don't have to put a front plate on a car?

I would love to go without a front plate if this is not illegal.

I have seen cars like F430 and Gallardo going around without a front plate.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2008, 06:07 AM   #5
astra
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 325Ci Individual

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by s4008616 View Post
What? So we don't have to put a front plate on a car?

I would love to go without a front plate if this is not illegal.

I have seen cars like F430 and Gallardo going around without a front plate.
I daresay they have no troubel paying the fines...

A family friend of ours owns a few exotics, and doesn't get stopped for anything illegal, just ocasionally stopped so the cops can take a look lol
      05-06-2008, 06:10 AM   #6
WOPALX
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan

Quote:
Hello Guys,

My car configuration:
AW Auto 335i
M Sport Package
Sun Roof
USB
19" Style 225 M

AT's tend to go into limp mode more than MT's when pushed hard on the track, may be to do with reduced H2O cooling due to a portion of the radiator being used for tranny cooling. So covering any portion of the airflow would be a bad idea IMHO.

Also consider that the FMIC will also maybe suffer and I can see why BMW are saying it's a bad idea.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2008, 09:39 AM   #7
sismic
Second Lieutenant
Indonesia
Rep

Garage List
2008 E92  [0.00]
Thank You for all your input guys, may be is bad idea to put on bottom grill. I think I will try about a month or so not to put any license plate at all on the front side and let see how long before the first cops care enough to stop me.

I saw e92 without any plate at the front side and it was so clean and looks stunning.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2008, 12:58 PM   #8
aggie57
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2.0d X3, 2009 997 Carrera S

Quote:
.I saw e92 without any plate at the front side and it was so clean and looks stunning.
You WILL get stopped and and you WILL get fined. The cops have heard all the lame reasons a thousand time so why create a problem you don't need?
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2008, 05:45 PM   #9
VGR00
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 430i Gran Coupe

In case you haven't noticed, cars in Australia carry plates front and back. Gee ... I wonder why they need both or why other people haven't thought of not putting their plate on!!!! Give me a frigging break.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2008, 07:29 PM   #10
parisianfox
Rep
Drives: e92

Hi sismic. I have just returned from the US and there were numerous vehicles without the front plate. I must confess it does look clean, however you are required to display it here. My friend owned a Jeep Wrangler and was fined for not displaying it here in Melbourne despite his excuses. Just put it on, it really is no big deal. If it really bothers you then order the signiature plate - you can order one with just two letters, it's tiny. Will set you back $3K though!!
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2008, 08:17 PM   #11
sismic
Second Lieutenant
Indonesia
Rep

Garage List
2008 E92  [0.00]
2 letters, YES YES YES. Check with vicroads cost me 3995 , better to have Quad exhaust than 2 letters numplate.

May be not such a good idea after all guys, thanks for all input
Appreciate 0