E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > Msport Steering Wheel DIY

12-25-2007, 01:27 AM   #485
nmcampbell
On The Highway To Hell
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i jt blk/lemon

Garage List
2008 e90 335i  [0.00]
I've got the same question...I'd like the triple stitch but have AT with Paddles (car coming in mid-January). Does anyone know if it exists and, if so, a part number? Also, I want to get rid of the aluminum trim around the wheel? If so, and it's a separate part, a part number would be much appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2008, 02:34 PM   #486
IM2C
Major General
Rep
Drives: ∞ Improbability Drive

Just installed M# steering wheel. 45 minute job!

Thanks to great info, install went flawlessly. Only issue was the airbag spring.
So, my little contribution is the photo of the back of the plate where spring is clearly visible. The point is to push the screwdriver as the arrows show. DO NOT hold screwdriver horizontally. Hope this helps.
Attached Images

01-02-2008, 07:11 PM   #487
Kev
Critical Care Anesthesiologist
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: SMB F83

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmcampbell View Post
I've got the same question...I'd like the triple stitch but have AT with Paddles (car coming in mid-January). Does anyone know if it exists and, if so, a part number? Also, I want to get rid of the aluminum trim around the wheel? If so, and it's a separate part, a part number would be much appreciated.
1. The tri-color stitched one is from an M3, so there's no cut out for the paddles, and there's no tri-color stitched one available for Step + Paddles.

2. You should be able to get an all leather cover. Look it up on realoem.com
      01-04-2008, 01:59 PM   #488
f82phan
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: slow

Anybody know where I can get a good torque wrench?

I received the wheel in the mail today and will be installing this weekend!!
      01-06-2008, 11:40 AM   #489
IM2C
Major General
Rep
Drives: ∞ Improbability Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90phan View Post
Anybody know where I can get a good torque wrench?

I received the wheel in the mail today and will be installing this weekend!!
amazon, I got it for $25.
      01-07-2008, 09:42 AM   #490
Fore
BMW CCA Member
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d Tasm Gr/Chstnt Brn

Great DIY-Battery access on E93 toughest part!

Great DIY description and pics!

My only comment would be that getting to the battery on the E93 was the hardest part. You have to take off the tray and 3 trim pieces, and it took some force to get a couple of them off. After that, the directions were terrific. There are also great tips throughout the thread (like how to get the clips off the airbag, that make the process much easier).

Thanks!

Fore
2007 335ci Space gray/Saddle
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2008, 03:48 PM   #491
kadolege
Colonel
Denmark
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

Garage List
2005 325i  [0.00]
Super DIY. It took my about 30 - 45 min. to the swap form standard steering wheel to the M-tech.
Damn it is nice...
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2008, 11:46 AM   #492
linus
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 07 E90 335xi, 08 E92 335i

I just did the install of the M3 wheel last night on my wife's E90 335xi. DIY instructions and added commentary in this thread were extremely helpful. Thanks guys. Also, I think it was spacedogg from B.C. who pushed me to do this mod and I'm happy he did. The result is phenomenal.

Two points of note:

1. When I reconnected the battery and then started the car, I got a malfunction notice in the instrument cluster and idrive saying "4x4, DSC, brake malfunction... vehicle should be driven carefully and take to dealer for service". My heart sank and I cursed myself as to why I did this mod on my wife's car - for vanity's sake. I knew the dealer would rape me on this one.

I thought to myself, WTF, I'll drive it around the street slowly to see whether the car feels any different with the warning. Within minutes the malfunction disappeared. I drove, shut down and restarted the car about 7 cycles after this and still no error. This morning, started the car and no error. So I'm feeling a bit better about it. I also reread this entire thread last night before going to bed and noticed that govtec had the same issue with his vehicle in July of 2006 and he did not indicate that it was an issue after that. Perhaps this is a quirk with xi's just after the battery is reconnected? Anyone else had this experience with an xi?

2. OK. The M3 wheel just totally transforms the look and (more importantly) the feel of the vehicle. I know it's just perception, but I feel that the car actually handles better with the new wheel. It's somewhat easier to take corners with than the old wheel. The car somehow feels a little lighter and more nimble. The leather is soft, supple but still firm enough for rapid and aggressive manoeuvers. Just the right balance. The thickness is perfect. From a cosmetic angle, this wheel also looks classier and "sportier" than the stock wheel.

Thanks to this forum, my wife's car has had these mods so far: blacklines, rear fog activated, split armrest, (alarm and illuminated sills from tischer, not really a mod but thx to the forum - a HELL of a lot cheaper), and now the M3 wheel. It's great to have a tremendous collective knowledge from an international family of 3 series enthusiasts to draw from.

Edit: I will post pix as soon as possible. Likely the weekend.

Last edited by linus; 01-16-2008 at 11:47 AM.. Reason: post pix
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2008, 05:36 PM   #493
XS4
slave to the dark side
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by linus View Post

The M3 wheel just totally transforms the look and (more importantly) the feel of the vehicle. I know it's just perception, but I feel that the car actually handles better with the new wheel. It's somewhat easier to take corners with than the old wheel. The car somehow feels a little lighter and more nimble. The leather is soft, supple but still firm enough for rapid and aggressive manoeuvers. Just the right balance.
Yes, this is the big payoff for doing this mod IMO. It's a mod you enjoy the moment you put your hands on the wheel, every turn you take, one you're always conscious of. Even tho the stock wheel is leather wrapped, it's hard and numb by comparison. The molded thumb detents and finger grooves along the bottom curve give better grip for steering and just feel good. It also makes it easier to sense wheel position while your eyes are on the road and the wheel is spinning. Just makes it more enjoyable to work the car thru turns.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2008, 09:01 PM   #494
linus
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 07 E90 335xi, 08 E92 335i

Those who have not done this mod just don't know what they're missing. Find someone who's done this mod to his/her car and drive it. You'll rush out in no time to do it to your car. Now that I've driven with this steering wheel, the stock is just so . I will be getting my E92 335i step (I know, step - need it because wife will drive this car too). The paddles require another wheel that the guy qualbeli? at ebay doesn't have in stock. He's sold out. If I have to drive my car with the stock steering and know my wife's driving with the M3 steering, I'm not going to be happy.

Trust me when I say that this wheel makes a HUGE difference. Now I've never driven an E92 M3 and I know it's a different animal, but the M3 wheel makes my car feel more nimble and just more fun to drive. And I'm even not an M3 wannabe. Didn't even use the //M cover plate on the wheel - just reused the stock plate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XS4 View Post
Yes, this is the big payoff for doing this mod IMO. It's a mod you enjoy the moment you put your hands on the wheel, every turn you take, one you're always conscious of. Even tho the stock wheel is leather wrapped, it's hard and numb by comparison. The molded thumb detents and finger grooves along the bottom curve give better grip for steering and just feel good. It also makes it easier to sense wheel position while your eyes are on the road and the wheel is spinning. Just makes it more enjoyable to work the car thru turns.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2008, 04:28 PM   #495
andy_06xi
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330xi

Quote:
I just did the install of the M3 wheel last night on my wife's E90 335xi. DIY instructions and added commentary in this thread were extremely helpful. Thanks guys. Also, I think it was spacedogg from B.C. who pushed me to do this mod and I'm happy he did. The result is phenomenal.

Two points of note:

1. When I reconnected the battery and then started the car, I got a malfunction notice in the instrument cluster and idrive saying "4x4, DSC, brake malfunction... vehicle should be driven carefully and take to dealer for service". My heart sank and I cursed myself as to why I did this mod on my wife's car - for vanity's sake. I knew the dealer would rape me on this one.

I thought to myself, WTF, I'll drive it around the street slowly to see whether the car feels any different with the warning. Within minutes the malfunction disappeared. I drove, shut down and restarted the car about 7 cycles after this and still no error. This morning, started the car and no error. So I'm feeling a bit better about it. I also reread this entire thread last night before going to bed and noticed that govtec had the same issue with his vehicle in July of 2006 and he did not indicate that it was an issue after that. Perhaps this is a quirk with xi's just after the battery is reconnected? Anyone else had this experience with an xi?

2. OK. The M3 wheel just totally transforms the look and (more importantly) the feel of the vehicle. I know it's just perception, but I feel that the car actually handles better with the new wheel. It's somewhat easier to take corners with than the old wheel. The car somehow feels a little lighter and more nimble. The leather is soft, supple but still firm enough for rapid and aggressive manoeuvers. Just the right balance. The thickness is perfect. From a cosmetic angle, this wheel also looks classier and "sportier" than the stock wheel.

Thanks to this forum, my wife's car has had these mods so far: blacklines, rear fog activated, split armrest, (alarm and illuminated sills from tischer, not really a mod but thx to the forum - a HELL of a lot cheaper), and now the M3 wheel. It's great to have a tremendous collective knowledge from an international family of 3 series enthusiasts to draw from.

Edit: I will post pix as soon as possible. Likely the weekend.

I had the same issue when I installed my wheel in my 2006 xi about a year ago. I was sure it had something to do with the dangling connection I found by the battery. Nope -- that's just used by BMW during initial transportation. Once I drove the car the warnings went away. They've never come back.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2008, 09:20 PM   #496
ucla1995
Slow and low
Rep
Drives: M5

Just fyi, I just did the install WITHOUT disabling the battery, and it was fine. Just made sure the car went to sleep by opening the front door, pushing lock, and letting it sit for 10 minutes. Disabling the battery is overkill imho (and a tech told me this btw).
*** But of course do anything at your own risk. I disclaim any responsibility for your actions. ***
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2008, 09:28 AM   #497
Dennisf
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW 325i High Executive

Garage List
Used the DIY to change the steeringwheel in my wifes E87. Job was done in 20 minutes. I was amazed how simple this is. No deal at all...

Thanks!!
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2008, 11:52 AM   #498
spacedogg
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Debadged

Quote:
Glad to hear you are enjoying it!
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2008, 03:57 PM   #499
tintivilus
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
2003 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucla1995 View Post
Just fyi, I just did the install WITHOUT disabling the battery, and it was fine. Just made sure the car went to sleep by opening the front door, pushing lock, and letting it sit for 10 minutes. Disabling the battery is overkill imho (and a tech told me this btw).
Techs don't bother disconnecting the battery because they can just clear any stored codes after the install. Disconnecting the battery is cheap insurance against an hour of dealer service to clear the airbag light.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2008, 02:04 AM   #500
just4kickz
boku no namae ha...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BS 330i

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
does anybody have the part # of the stock sport steering wheel's front plate? for example, for the m-steering wheel, you often see that M logo on the front plate?

my black plastic paint or whatever is peeling

"Akimbo shotguns. Broken wrists anyone? And don't give me that 'it's just a game' bull****. Where the **** are my akimbo interventions then?! One scope on each eye mother****er!!"
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2008, 09:23 PM   #501
hockey9999
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 MW F80

This may be a stupid question..

Does anyone know if the Msport steering wheel that is pictured on the first page could be the same as the Msport wheel in an X3? My mother has an X3 with a wheel that looks identical to that one. If its the same I may have to go "Borrow" it from her.. She would never notice!

I have no idea how to find out if they would be the same part. Anyone know??
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2008, 12:20 PM   #502
FrankoQ
Deny everything
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i; 2015 X6, S1000RR

Garage List
2015 BMW X6  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey9999 View Post
This may be a stupid question..

Does anyone know if the Msport steering wheel that is pictured on the first page could be the same as the Msport wheel in an X3? My mother has an X3 with a wheel that looks identical to that one. If its the same I may have to go "Borrow" it from her.. She would never notice!

I have no idea how to find out if they would be the same part. Anyone know??
go to realoem.com
and check the part numbers.

I need a drink

Appreciate 0
      03-01-2008, 11:21 AM   #503
FrankoQ
Deny everything
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i; 2015 X6, S1000RR

Garage List
2015 BMW X6  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
I helped Dinkoh install his. It took us 30 minutes to do the swap.
Hardest part was to get to the bracket holding the air bag.

I need a drink

Appreciate 0
      03-21-2008, 03:28 PM   #504
mack82097
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92

I read all 23 pages but can't find out what the correct torque value is for the bolt attaching the wheel.

Does anyone know what it is?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2008, 05:33 PM   #505
f82phan
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: slow

It was mentioned on page 4, but not sure if it was actually verified. To save you some time, here is the single post....

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...8&postcount=81
      03-21-2008, 07:36 PM   #506
eldudo
Take the long way home
Rep
Drives: E90 335i & E46 330i

46 ft-lbs is the recommended torque I used when I installed the M3 steering wheel on my E46 330i and it is the same torque I used now to install the new one on my 335i.

There is no reason why it should be different.
I'll confirm the 46 ft-lbs torque in the Bentley manual for my E46.
Appreciate 0