E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Glow plug and swirl flap errors

02-26-2017, 04:56 AM   #1
apollo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F82 Sakhir Orange

Glow plug and swirl flap errors

I have noticed in the last few months a rough idle on start up on my 330d N57 and today I have done a scan and found the following errors

004A6F Receive LIN-bus communication of glow plug GSG
004A1F Receive LIN-bus communication of glow plug GSG
004EOF Swirl flap, Plausibility: mechanically defective

I assume the first 2 are faulty glow plugs, but what about the 3rd code is it possibly caused by carbon build up in intake manifold that could be fixed by cleaning it?
I plan to replace the glow plugs in a few weeks when I get the time so will be able to see the state of the manifold then.

If it requires a clean what is the best stuff to use to clean it.
Would a EGR delete also help prevent this in the future?
Can an EGR delete be done on its own or does it have to be done with a DPF delete also?
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2017, 07:55 AM   #2
Digitalize
Photographer
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320D

3rd code could be soot build up blocking the swirl flaps from moving, or worst case a swirl flap broken off.

I'd pull the manifold off, blank the swirl flaps, replace the glowplugs and clean the manifold out, it will be caked in carbon/oil build up.

You can delete the EGR but you'll need to have it mapped out otherwise you'll get an error code. You don't have to do DPF at the same time.
Appreciate 1
apollo30.00
      02-26-2017, 08:44 AM   #3
apollo
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digitalize View Post
3rd code could be soot build up blocking the swirl flaps from moving, or worst case a swirl flap broken off.

I'd pull the manifold off, blank the swirl flaps, replace the glowplugs and clean the manifold out, it will be caked in carbon/oil build up.

You can delete the EGR but you'll need to have it mapped out otherwise you'll get an error code. You don't have to do DPF at the same time.
Cheers mate thats exactly what I plan to do. Is it possible to find swirl flaps blanking size before I take of manifold or are they all the same size on the N57 engines?
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2017, 09:03 AM   #4
Digitalize
Photographer
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320D

Do a bit of research you should be able to, it was more the E46 where they changed the sizes during engine production. I got mine right when I did mine but I can't remember what size and it was for an M47.

With cleaning I've heard a good soaking overnight in caustic soda works well but also it's worth asking if you know any places with a parts cleaner, engine rebuilders etc, they might be able to help you out for a small fee.
Appreciate 1
apollo30.00
      02-26-2017, 09:17 AM   #5
apollo
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks mate
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2017, 03:12 AM   #6
bishbosh
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 335d

Garage List
2014 BMW 335d  [0.00]
The N57 engine's swirl flaps are different to previous incarnations. You cannot 'blank' in the traditional sense. However you can pull the spindle out and take the flaps out that way. Then you usually fit a bung at the swirl flap actuator where the spindle enters the manifold. It's what I did on my N47 engine.

I don't get any errors for the swirl flaps (the actuator is free to move but it obviously it isn't connected to anything)

As for cleaning, I used elbow grease and a pressure washer on the manifold.
      02-27-2017, 04:15 AM   #7
apollo
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bishbosh View Post
The N57 engine's swirl flaps are different to previous incarnations. You cannot 'blank' in the traditional sense. However you can pull the spindle out and take the flaps out that way. Then you usually fit a bung at the swirl flap actuator where the spindle enters the manifold. It's what I did on my N47 engine.

I don't get any errors for the swirl flaps (the actuator is free to move but it obviously it isn't connected to anything)

As for cleaning, I used elbow grease and a pressure washer on the manifold.
Thanks mate thats the conclusion I had come to after doing some reading up on it. Can you just put back the swirl flap actuator minus the spindle or is there a bung that can be purchased?
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2017, 04:36 AM   #8
bishbosh
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 335d

Garage List
2014 BMW 335d  [0.00]
Originally I just put the actuator back in place, but I've had a bung fitted for more than a year now with no issues.

I used something like this eBay but I don't know if it will fit the N57 manifold.
      02-27-2017, 05:24 AM   #9
apollo
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Cheers mate will fire them of and email to check
Appreciate 0