E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > More Cars Being Stolen

05-15-2012, 10:18 PM   #199
Daaaaaaaan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 323i

A logic gate could be made to disable the OBD port while the car is off, while rendering it normal while it's in start/run mode (I think) because of PIN 1 going high only while the car is in start-run mode. I can think of one method to implement this lockout with a soldering iron, relays and a few resistors that -should- work assuming the lines act the way they're supposed to act.

This creates a convenient chicken-and-egg problem for any legitimate or illegitimate key coder with only 30s on their hands: you can't access OBD without being able to first start the car, which you'd need your legit key for.

Or is there a frequent need to access the OBD port while the car off?

At least one poster has stated that soldering or adding other junk will mess with resistances (and presumably line impedence?), but I'd say this is unlikely at 12V line levels in an environment already as noisy as a car. I've had no problems running 115.2kbps rs232 lines >100' in the past. At least the same poster said (and I suspect it's true) that many readers auto-sense which pin is what, so pin reassignment may not always do the trick or might be totally ineffective.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2012, 10:42 AM   #200
magic77
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: ex- 335i

Cutting into the wiring did make me worries so gone for the next best thing. OBD port is no more (well no more where it was)

It is now relocated to more harder to reach place and thats for me to know and the tech working on the car at the time. TEsted using my OBD dongle and diag software and all telematics are working fine.

Nice quick solution for price of a extention lead
      05-16-2012, 10:45 AM   #201
Initial M
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 3 series

My local dealer has said that the warranty will become void if the OBD port is moved. I still would do it though for my own piece of mind.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2012, 02:21 PM   #202
magic77
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: ex- 335i

They can only say that if you moved it with cutting it, end of the day if they get fussy you simply remove the trim unplug the extention and put it back, About 10 min work.

They would have to be very "£nal to really do that since its just (well in my case) a plug in lead. So nothing cut or removed.
      05-22-2012, 07:51 AM   #203
fulcrum
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92,F22, F36, G01

PAH!!!!!!!

Thank you for your email dated May 12, 2012 addressed to Mrs Jane Noble, National Customer Service Manager, BMW UK. Your correspondence has been forwarded to me by Mrs Noble in order to respond to you. On behalf of BMW UK please accept my apologies for the concerns that you have with the security of your car

As you have outlined in your email, BMW UK have been made aware of instances where vehicles have been stolen without evidence of the criminals being in possession of the vehicle’s keys. We are aware that criminal gangs are targeting premium vehicles from a variety of manufacturers using similar methods and this is an area that is currently under investigation.

I can assure you that all components within our vehicles are rigorously tested to ensure their suitability for use in our vehicle range. If, during this process, an issue is identified with a particular component or system, the issue would either be resolved or the components in question would not be approved for use in our vehicle range. As an organisation BMW does have a policy of continuous research and development and I can assure you that this current situation is being investigated.

It is unfortunate that there will always be a potential risk that the criminal fraternity will develop and establish new ways to gain access to and steal vehicles. Regrettably this is beyond the control of BMW. Although we are confident in the security systems fitted to our vehicle and we accept that it is not always possible for a vehicle to be parked in a secure location, steps can be taken to ensure that deterrents are put in place such as tracking devices that highlight the vehicle has been stolen, even in the event a key or duplicate key has been used to remove the vehicle.

I can also confirm that we have a constant dialogue with police forces throughout the UK to understand any criminal activity patterns regarding car thefts which may emerge. This data is used to enhance our vehicle defence systems along with ensuring we provide information to assist the police with any investigations they wish to carry out.

I would like to thank you for taking the time to contact us as I do appreciate concerns. I trust, however, that the information I have provided has been of some assistance under the circumstances.

Yours sincerely,

BMW UK
Harkan Suleyman
Customer Service Manager V1-UK-A-4
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2012, 04:08 PM   #204
Cyprio
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi S4 B/Edition

Typical management blurb and a cop-out "to boot"
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2012, 02:17 AM   #205
Gra
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 335d M Sport

That's one of the biggest cop-outs I've ever read. It might have been quicker to just send an email back saying "Cars get stolen all the time. And?" because that what it comes across as.
      05-23-2012, 05:00 AM   #206
kaishang
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 330d

Stuff gets nicked, innit.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2012, 05:10 AM   #207
Cyprio
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi S4 B/Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaishang View Post
Stuff gets nicked, innit.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2012, 07:49 AM   #208
davidmleckie
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 320d 2011

I think everyone is overcomplicating things... How about this bearing in mind that im not an electrician but could you not buy another OBD port from BMW and also another horn then mount the horn some where under the bonnet and run a 12v to the horn and back to the OBD port then run your - to your horn and back to the OBD port and mount the port in place of the origional then when Mr Scumbag plugs in his coder thingy then it completes the circut and sounds the horn As i said im no electrician but if you knew which OBD port numbers to put the + and - wires that would complete the circut, sound the horn and hopefully scare the shite out the feckers I also realise that it might not be just as easy as that to do but im sure someone can come up with something similar.

Last edited by davidmleckie; 05-23-2012 at 10:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2012, 10:15 AM   #209
Initial M
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmleckie View Post
I think everyone is overcomplicating things... How about this bearing in mind that im not an electrician but could you not buy another port from BMW and also another horn then mount the horn some where under the bonnet and run a 12v to the horn and back to the port then run your - to your horn and back to the port and mount the port in place of the origional then when Mr Scumbag plugs in his coder thingy then it completes the circut and sounds the horn As i said im no electrician but if you knew which port numbers to put the + and - wires that would complete the circut, sound the horn and hopefully scare the shite out the feckers I also realise that it might not be just as easy as that to do but im sure someone can come up with something similar
I'm sorry but throughout that comment all I read was 'horn' and 'port' over and over again!
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2012, 10:51 AM   #210
davidmleckie
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eccentrik bm View Post
I'm sorry but throughout that comment all I read was 'horn' and 'port' over and over again!
Any better ideas
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2012, 11:00 AM   #211
Giff
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90

Can someone explain how this is supposed to be happening?

The OBD is unpowered until the correct key is inserted?
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2012, 11:07 AM   #212
Initial M
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmleckie View Post
Any better ideas
Didn't mean to offend, I just skimmed through your post and that's what stood out.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2012, 11:20 AM   #213
IceMan007
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giff View Post
Can someone explain how this is supposed to be happening?

The OBD is unpowered until the correct key is inserted?
The OBD is powered in case you have lost your keys and need new ones programmed - This is what the the thieving scum are taking advantage of.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2012, 12:42 PM   #214
Dave3
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: e90 325i

I have heard about a system which stops the car from starting if a sequence is not correctly put in, ie you have to insert the fob & there is a sequence on the pedels/start button that must be used?

Cant remember where i read it but if its true sounds like the way forward?
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2012, 01:29 PM   #215
Billyray911
Brigadier General
Venezuela
Rep
Drives: Blah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave3
I have heard about a system which stops the car from starting if a sequence is not correctly put in, ie you have to insert the fob & there is a sequence on the pedels/start button that must be used?

Cant remember where i read it but if its true sounds like the way forward?
Or just get a blackjax installed...
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2012, 01:49 PM   #216
Dave3
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: e90 325i

blackjax??
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2012, 12:08 AM   #217
davidmleckie
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eccentrik bm View Post
Didn't mean to offend, I just skimmed through your post and that's what stood out.
No worries, Also my responce was a bit abrupt.... But your correct i did repeat quite a bit
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2012, 03:23 AM   #218
Billyray911
Brigadier General
Venezuela
Rep
Drives: Blah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave3
blackjax??
Blackjax is an anti hijack type system from Clifford.It works independently and is not activated by the driver by way of panic button etc.It activates itself when the car is started (via revs and brake depression)and has to be disengaged by the driver via a code.This code is pressed into a small black(two button) pad when you start the car.
If the door is opened at any point ( carjack for eg.) ,the code has to be re-entered.
If this doesn't happen,the alarm(part of the system) bleeps several times to inform you that the system has been activated and the code needs to be entered.If this doesnt happen and when the car slows to a safe speed,the system shuts the cars electrics /ignition off and the siren sounds.This renders the keys useless.
Using this (obd) theft for example,blackjax is integrated into the canbus system,but still works on its own.Therefore,if a reprogrammed blank key (or even the original key if you are subjected to a mainline burglary) is used,you still have to know the code...
It's a fairly invasive install and should take a decent installer several hours-it's not a job for a driveway installation.
Cost me about £300-I've had two on various cars and am happy with what it does.
I still use a disclock,always put my car into the garage and have been researching wheel clamps that can be put on quickly-not paranoid or anything!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2012, 03:30 AM   #219
Giff
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceMan007 View Post
The OBD is powered in case you have lost your keys and need new ones programmed - This is what the the thieving scum are taking advantage of.
Just been out to check and bloody hell it is live!

I've never seen this before, what a ridiculous idea!
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2012, 04:17 AM   #220
kaishang
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 330d

The problem with any aftermarket immobiliser is that they typically aren't BMW OEM quality (although BMW OEM quality also means the OBD port works so well, anybody can drive off with your car....).

ie aftermarket immobilisers can fubar while you are on holiday in France on a Sunday and you can't drive your own car.
Appreciate 0