E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > Need feedback - coupe or vert was just about to sign when..

07-17-2007, 10:58 AM   #1
ozx5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: bmw

Need feedback - coupe or vert was just about to sign when..

Hi guys,

as you know Im in Sydney, I was thinking about the Vert a fortnight ago, and then last week said to myself ... i'm going to go for the coupe, with the specs i want, I'll save 15k and not get an open roof setup, but a sunroof will do me well.

But here's the dilemma, I've walked into the dealer with the intention to sign away a deal for a coupe, stretched my neck, and then the vert is sitting right there looking hot as.

Now its not the way it was optioned, you can option anything to make it look hot, this was a pure vert/coupe confusion moment...

I had to walk away from the dealer and think about it.

So here is my low-down - all feedback is needed

Vert
Pros over Coupe

BMWs perfect connection between road and sky - openness is gorgeous
this will be perfect for balmy nights in Sydney, prob not with the weather at the moment, even for drives, north, south, east, west, wherever

Electric roof is hard metal, not soft material, which is great

Disdavantages over coupe

15-20k cheaper

coupes shape compared to verts shape (with roof up) is more appealing, curvature etc

boot space is never really an issue with the coupe

headspace in the back, is a bit more than headspace in the back with the verts roof up
==
So that's it - budget is a deal -im not too tight - but at the end of the day Im looking at it overall its still a 2 door - is the vert worth the 15-20k difference (thats my low-down), or what.. guide me in your opinion people..??

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2007, 11:14 AM   #2
zimbim
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe

Garage List
2007 e350 Sport  [0.00]
2007 335i Coupe  [0.00]
You only live once. Get what you really, really want and drive the hell out of it. I had a '97 328 vert and loved it. Now I have the 335i coupe and love that. Just ask yourself this simple question; if you knew you had two years left to live, what car would you be driving? Whatever you answer is , get that car!
      07-17-2007, 11:20 AM   #3
ozx5
Private First Class
Rep

zimbin,

no that sounds cool - decent reasoning ....other members ? maybe more descriptive and not as philiosphical...?

cheers
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2007, 06:02 PM   #4
1q2w3e4r
Breakfast at Tiffany's
Rep
Drives: BMW

Since performance wasn't a criteria (which the vert will be heaps slower anyway). Just get the car you want, it's your money after all.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2007, 07:29 PM   #5
KrisC
kristoff
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335i coupe

Have you ever own a vert? I only got the sunroof for resale value. I have never used it. That's why I didn't get the vert. It boils down to whether you like a convertible or not.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2007, 09:38 PM   #6
astra
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 325Ci Individual

Garage List
personally i would go for the coupe
      07-17-2007, 09:55 PM   #7
ozx5
Private First Class
Rep

Sheez astra,

really are you being serious or sarcastic, dont you love your vert..? why the coupe??
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2007, 10:01 PM   #8
astra
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
yes, i have an e46 vert, and i love it to bits... but if we are talking about the e93 vs e92, i would buy the coupe...

i drove both the e46 coupe and convertible, and liked the convertible alot better, i was considdering waiting for the new e93 when i bought mine, but after seeing pictures i just bit the bullet and went the way i did

recently i drove the e92 and e93, and liked the e92 alot more, this was because firstly, i really don't like a hard top, and it greatly reduces storage space, and i didn't like the roof lines, nor how it joined to the rear of the car, as it looks a little un thought out... i love the look of the e92, and if i was in the market for a new car, this would be a serious considderation... you can do alot with the e92, and it can look both sleek, and agressive

i just think that the e93 is a little big to be a convertible, i always picture convertibles as sleek but then again, i drove one in the worst colours possible for that body shape, crimson red on black... i am not a fan of crimson on the e9x's

but then again, like someone else said, buy which one makes you happy, and that you love driving! i bought my e46 convertible because that is what made me happy, so if the e92 makes you happy, buy that, if it is the e93, then buy that instead
      07-17-2007, 10:07 PM   #9
ozx5
Private First Class
Rep

fantastic, good advice - and boy that was quick, do you have a permanent connection tapped into e90post/forums/australia ..??
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2007, 10:34 PM   #10
astra
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
lol no, i don't, i am just on holidays and i just happen to be online
      07-18-2007, 02:13 AM   #11
e93
open air motoring at its best
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW E93 335i Convertible

Garage List
2007 e93 335i  [0.00]
I think my reply might be a little biased but............

Get the bloody Convertible !!! -
  • Two cars in one.
  • Resale value - the extra $ now will be more than repaid later.
  • Shape - hell - I have not met one person yet (BMW affectionatos aside) who knew my car was convertible. All thought it was the coupe - until I put the roof away
  • Fun - what can I say - nothin beats open air motoring
  • Need more speed - add procede. Really - are you gonna race it ??? Heaps slower - Yeh .2 seconds - so what
  • Reduced storage space - unless your planning a romantic weekend for four - there is plenty of room in the boot and plenty more on the fold down rear seat! If you need storage space buy a Holden Statesman.

I get a little tired of the convertible bashers. If you want a race car get the coupe not. If you want a race car buy a Lotus or Porsche or something that would actually be competitive on the track. Besides, we need another E93 owner on this forum.
2007 335i Convertible || Black Sapphire | Cream Beige | Burr Walnut | 6 AT Paddles | Comfort Access | Aluminium Pedals | Aero Front Spoiler | Remus Quads | KW V3 Coilovers | Velocity V-715 wheels | M3 Rear Lip Spoiler || On Order || || Wishlist || ||

Last edited by e93; 07-18-2007 at 02:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2007, 04:02 AM   #12
BMW //MPOWER
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 M340i xdrive

Garage List
I vote for the Vert!
That's what i'd do!
BMW E46 325Ci M Clubsport Carbon Black
BMW E36 318i Alpine White M Sport
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2007, 04:14 AM   #13
ozx5
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks MPOWER,

Man I'm beginning to think that too, and then E93 confirmed it with his.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by e93 View Post
[*]Two cars in one.

&
[*]Fun - what can I say - nothin beats open air motoring
Man I dunno. Either way roof down is looking like one Hawwttt option, with a bit of dosh needing to fund that option.

E93, u really the only or one of the only sydney siders who have an E93 on this aus part of the forum ??

Man I dont know, for me it aint performance.. but E93, can I ask you do you have any (if any, AT ALL) thoughts or moments, where you've said a coupe may have been better...??

Also, got to admit it .. BMW's TV campaign for the E90/91/92/93 looks pretty convincing with that guy flying down the open highway in that Titanium Silver E93....

Sheez, why do I feel like its a game of roulette ... red or black....
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2007, 04:46 AM   #14
astra
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozx5 View Post
Also, got to admit it .. BMW's TV campaign for the E90/91/92/93 looks pretty convincing with that guy flying down the open highway in that Titanium Silver E93....
lol, it actually turned me the other way, makes the vert look like it is riding sooo high i got all excited teh first time i saw the ad, but was a little disapointed lol, scares me when pieces of cars are flying off

speaking of which, e93, did you get your coilovers yet? should look good with them in
      07-18-2007, 04:51 AM   #15
ozx5
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
scares me when pieces of cars are flying off
ha ha ...ha

Yes can you imagine, the money BMW spent to make pieces of the car fly off..

that must also mean in a way, either the roof is shonky as its flying so high up, or they they tested it in a high wind area...
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2007, 05:44 AM   #16
CaptOz
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: Porsche 911 Carrera S

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisC View Post
Have you ever own a vert? I only got the sunroof for resale value. I have never used it. That's why I didn't get the vert. It boils down to whether you like a convertible or not.
I love the convertible too but know I would hardly ever open the roof. Perhaps to give the kids a thrill.

Quote:
I think my reply might be a little biased but............

Get the bloody Convertible !!! -
I am certain the e93 will have the better resale and be easier to sell down the track. I’d go the convertible unless you are a purist and want the lighter, better balanced and slightly quicker characteristics of the coupe. I’d be scratching my head too.

I think the e93 look hot too. See if you can get back-to-back drives with the e92 and e93. Perhaps that will help with your decision making.

Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2007, 06:12 AM   #17
deandob
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 E39

My 1st post here.

I have a 2000 E39 M5 that has done me well over the last 6 years (bought near new) but its time to upgrade. Coming from an M car I would not have considered a 3 series as my next car (my prior car was a 1997 325i) but I took an E40 M5 & a 335 sedan for a test drive the other day and preferred the 335 as my daily driver (the new M5 is a bit too edgy and fiddly with SMG, paddles, 1000+ settings).

I was very surprised by the 335, it felt as powerful as my M5, yet more nimble and a good compromise of performance and luxury that attracted me to the E39 M5 in the first place. I really like the looks of the 335 coupe especially compared to the E40 M5, although I've only seen the convertible at the Brisbane car show.

So I'm having the same thoughts as the OP. The extra price is not an issue as long as I get good value, and the opportunity to do some open top motoring and have all the benefits of the coupe is too much to pass on.

Here is what I've been thinking about for the comparison, and it would be great to get feedback from others who have these cars or have been able to compare them. My dealer does not have a convertible to test drive at this stage.

Considerations:
- What is the handling differences between the coupe and convertible? The convertible is definitely a heavier car but it should also have a lower centre of gravity especially with the roof down. I can't find a performance orientated review of the convertible to understand if it is the same or worse as the coupe (unlikely to be better). I'll buy it with the optional 19" rims.

- I like the option of adding a piggyback ECU to gain another 20-30% or so power/torque. This should negate the extra weight of the convertible and give me close to E40 M5 performance, heaps for a daily driver car and fun to boot!

- Why not wait for a M3? I think the new M3 will be like the new M5, more suited to a track, and not as good value as the 335.

- The option of having a convertible and coupe is 2 cars in 1, and should be lots of fun if it performs well in the power/handling dept.

- There is a long wait for the convertible. I also think it will be harder to negotiate a discount as these cars are in demand. The positive side is that the resale should be better on the convertible. Any experiences on dealer flexibility on convertible discounts & delivery times?

- Reduced rear space / boot space is not an issue, as I have 3 kids and have only had the whole family in my M5 maybe 5 times total, as my wife has a 5 seater (Merc B class turbo).

Regards,
Dean
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2007, 06:55 AM   #18
e93
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2007 e93 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Thanks MPOWER,

E93, u really the only or one of the only sydney siders who have an E93 on this aus part of the forum ??

Man I dont know, for me it aint performance.. but E93, can I ask you do you have any (if any, AT ALL) thoughts or moments, where you've said a coupe may have been better...??
Only e93 owner so far as far as I know. Can't think where the coupe is really better except pure track performance. Some say asthetically buts thats just personal and as previously stated, those unfamilier with the vehicle don't notice the difference. I noticed a little scuttle shake (windsreen movement) with the top down during our last group outing at North Head. Not drastic but noticible - we were driving "fairly quick" on a relatively uneven surface With the top up I can't really tell any difference between the e93 and the e92 that I test drove prior to purchase. Maybe a little wind noise at 130 plus.

I'll admit that i thought the convertible would be a compromise for function over performance. I wanted open air motoring over performance. I reckon I got both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
speaking of which, e93, did you get your coilovers yet? should look good with them in
Coilovers are being dispatched from Germany at the end of the month. Same goes for Remus quad exhaust. Should have it all fitted by mid August. Just need some wider wheels and the V2 procede and mods are done. Well - all the currently planned ones anyway.
2007 335i Convertible || Black Sapphire | Cream Beige | Burr Walnut | 6 AT Paddles | Comfort Access | Aluminium Pedals | Aero Front Spoiler | Remus Quads | KW V3 Coilovers | Velocity V-715 wheels | M3 Rear Lip Spoiler || On Order || || Wishlist || ||
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2007, 09:49 AM   #19
ozx5
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Just need some wider wheels and the V2 procede and mods are done. Well - all the currently planned ones anyway.
Man, Please look at this,

I thought of you immed. E93

Appreciate 0
      07-18-2007, 06:26 PM   #20
e93
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2007 e93 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Man, Please look at this,

I thought of you immed. E93
The roof is a work of art! I love watching it do its thing.

Not a fan of black wheels - just doesn't feel right to me. I'm thinking about these. What do you think.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-18-2007, 06:43 PM   #21
astra
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
i like the polished lip, a little bit of bling but nt a fan of wheels that look like csl's
      07-18-2007, 09:46 PM   #22
ozx5
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I'm thinking about these. What do you think.
Hi Mate,

They look good as a wheel. I love more the concave look, that is the pattern coming out to the end of the wheel, Astra's wheel sum it up perfectly.

If I could Id love to see when replica Style 220s come out - that is the E93
M3 19" variation - they look alot like the the E46 - M3s 19" option

I would even consider black wheels, like in the video, it' is a bit much, but that is the new look - esp in Europe and America, and funny enough out here its not that common, but it still has its status of being exotic (london, monaco, new york and miami have these cars alot), ie its not chromey (ie excessive chrome and blingy and the wheels may cost more than the car) and tackey... its posh etc in sydney, i've seen black cars, with large black wheels on.....bentley coupe, porsche 997, merc cls55, bmw m5 and bmw 650... it takes getting used to, but of all those vehicles I think that E93 and (at times) the E92, could be the best vehicle shape base to put those wheels on...

Dont want to make a family man, seem to wild and out there...but as you said you know what you want....

by the way cheers for the pm, will f/up with the dealer
Appreciate 0