E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > E91 Can't Lock/unlock doors even with physical keys

08-05-2018, 03:32 AM   #1
bpatrik
Rep
Drives: E91 318d

Question E91 Can't Lock/unlock doors even with physical keys

Hello everybody!
As the title says I have a really big and frustrating issue.
My key fob starts the car normally, and I can lock the car with the button on the dash so my central lock is working in my opinion. I experience this with both of my keys.

It is really strange, but even the physical keys don't lock/unlock the doors.

Anybody knows what could cause the problem?
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2018, 12:52 PM   #2
tlow98
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E91, 2014 F15 x35i

Keys could both be replacements that were never cut. Also, you check battery voltage!

CA car?
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2018, 01:09 PM   #3
bpatrik
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlow98 View Post
Keys could both be replacements that were never cut. Also, you check battery voltage!

CA car?
Thank you for you reply!
Sorry english is nit my native language, what do you mean by 'never cut'?

I don't have CA
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2018, 01:28 PM   #4
Nickco43
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 BMW M3

Garage List
2008 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpatrik View Post
Thank you for you reply!
Sorry english is nit my native language, what do you mean by 'never cut'?

I don't have CA
My metal key will not unlock my doors; Only the plastic wallet key. Try charging both keys buy going on a long drive or placing them on a toothbrush charger.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2018, 01:42 PM   #5
bpatrik
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickco43 View Post
My metal key will not unlock my doors; Only the plastic wallet key. Try charging both keys buy going on a long drive or placing them on a toothbrush charger.
Thank you for the tip, I will try to charge it tonight. If it doesn't solve the problem what else you would think of?
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2018, 03:05 PM   #6
Nickco43
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 BMW M3

Garage List
2008 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Thank you for the tip, I will try to charge it tonight. If it doesn't solve the problem what else you would think of?
Go find an IR tester and check if the remotes are sending out an IR signal.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2018, 04:38 PM   #7
Psyphertext
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 09 328i

Quote:
Hello everybody!
My key fob starts the car normally, and I can lock the car with the button on the dash so my central lock is working in my opinion. I experience this with both of my keys.

So, first question to ask is the dumb one. Were these physical keys working prior to now? If not, I would suspect replacement keys programmed to the wrong or another car. Could have sworn I read here that the key has a single write memory and are VIN specific. I am going through an issue where my FOB is the issue and a battery swap of the I active charging remote didn't do the trick.

Were the keys cut? These have an internal groove cut, unlike what used to exist in the auto market with edge cut keys. If these are uncut, then you have your answer. I have not experienced a bad cut yet, but one would suspect that if the key turns in the door that it is likely a good cut.

Lastly, there is an actuator on the doors when the key is used. If all else is good, is the actuator dead or by chance the fuse that goes to it blown?
      08-05-2018, 11:59 PM   #8
bpatrik
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickco43 View Post
Quote:
Go find an IR tester and check if the remotes are sending out an IR signal.
I tried to charge it, but nothing happened :/ honestly I don't belive that the problem is wirh the keys, because both went bad at the same time.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2018, 12:01 AM   #9
bpatrik
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyphertext View Post
Quote:
Hello everybody!

So, first question to ask is the dumb one. Were these physical keys working prior to now? If not, I would suspect replacement keys programmed to the wrong or another car. Could have sworn I read here that the key has a single write memory and are VIN specific. I am going through an issue where my FOB is the issue and a battery swap of the I active charging remote didn't do the trick.

Were the keys cut? These have an internal groove cut, unlike what used to exist in the auto market with edge cut keys. If these are uncut, then you have your answer. I have not experienced a bad cut yet, but one would suspect that if the key turns in the door that it is likely a good cut.

Lastly, there is an actuator on the doors when the key is used. If all else is good, is the actuator dead or by chance the fuse that goes to it blown?
I never used the physical keys before. But it has an internal cut. It closes the glovebox perfectly.
But it doesn't move in the door lock.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2018, 11:00 AM   #10
bpatrik
Rep

Quote:
I never used the physical keys before. But it has an internal cut. It closes the glovebox perfectly.
I contacted the original owner and he also never used the physical key. And probably didn't worked since an accident when he had to replace the door.
Appreciate 1
      08-06-2018, 12:16 PM   #11
nsjames
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 08 328xi Touring

sounds like the door was a junkyard door and the key cylinder was not swapped from the original.

you'll need to investigate getting the door lock cylinder repinned to your key.

no idea about your fob things because I only know about CA.
Appreciate 1
      08-06-2018, 10:10 PM   #12
Psyphertext
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 09 328i

Quote:
Quote:
I contacted the original owner and he also never used the physical key. And probably didn't worked since an accident when he had to replace the door.
There you have it. Someone took a cheap at out and you have a different locking mechanism in the door. Time to go to the stealer and order new locks since you likely don't have the VIN to the car the door came from. That is unless a locksmith can change the door to match the old key cut or you can find a set of matching locks at a yard with a key, all functioning. Then it is finding out from the gurus here if that will do the trick.
      10-04-2018, 05:07 AM   #13
bpatrik
Rep

As far as I know probably the antenna module under the spoiler causing the problem.
but my radio works perfectly. Is it normal?
Appreciate 0