E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Installed LED Bulbs and it is Crazy...

08-20-2018, 12:40 AM   #1
masterh
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw 328i

Installed LED Bulbs and it is Crazy...

I had halogen headlights and I switched to aftermarket headlights with Projector in it. I also switched bulbs to LED since LED works well in projector housing.

I put Auxbeam F-16 for low beam.

When I switched the headlight, my car was parked about 10 feet from the wall. The cut off line was about the same as old halogen light so I thought it should be fine.

I drove at night in highway and I noticed my low beam lights was shining the big road sign above the traffic??? It was ridiculous. it looked like someone was shining it with a big flash light. I noticed it was also shining the sign that's in opposite direction in highway....
But I was still getting good visibility on the road.

I am guessing there could be 2 main reasons.

-Just lower the projector housing. Instead of parking car 10 feet away, park further from the wall to see how it travels.
-It's double sided LED. I am not sure if those sides are facing side ways or up and down right now. (can't see due to the projector) I am thinking it might be facing up/down. Do you know how double sided LED should be facing?
(BTW, high beam bulbs are inserted Diagonally. That's just how it fits. But I don't care too much about high beam bulbs.)

BTW, If I use both high/low beam, the brightness is just ridiculous. I don't need those Hella lights people put on top of their jeep to shine the trails. It is damn bright

Any help would be appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2018, 12:00 AM   #2
m8te
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 320i LCI

If the cut-off line is the same as halogen against a wall, I can't see how it'd be an issue though rarely do aftermarket kits have good beam pattern and cut-off. You may need to take some photos to compare and look at.

It's not uncommon for HIDs and LEDs to shine light brightly on road signs but the way you're describing the overwhelming shining light sounds concerning. Has anyone high beamed you back because you might be blinding them?
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2018, 01:08 PM   #3
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

They should be facing to the sides to reflect off the factory housing. Some LED's have the light protrude to far outward, this could also cause issues. The HPB LED Kits we sell have the perfect match to reflect properly, minimizing glare and maximizing output.
Appreciate 0