E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Engine swap

08-15-2018, 11:08 PM   #1
Trolln
Australia
Rep
Drives: E82 135i 2010 BSM

Engine swap

Hi all

Firstly, I am fully aware of the onslaught of "trade it in" and "don't bother" comments I will receive. However I have some valid reasons for this, so bear with me

After trading in my FBO 135i for an e90 320i 2 years ago in order to appease the other half and fulfill my parental responsibilities, The main issue there being the 1 series only having 2 doors and the speeding fines
I find myself severely lacking power (obviously) and any form of enjoyment while driving. So, That being said, I'm toying with the idea of accumulating the parts and information required for the swap while getting the most out of this horrendous n46 before it leaks it's last litre of oil onto the ever growing patch on my driveway.

1. I plan to purchase a cheap, totaled 335i and utilising the engine, trans, ecu, cas, keys, susp, brakes etc..

2. I will be converting this to a ST, PI and performing all the regular preventive maintenance which will be much easier while the motor is already out of the car.

3. I am quite capable with the mechanical side of things and will be doing this myself (may get some assistance from friends where needed).

The main concern I have here is the electrical aspect. I imagine if swapping the entire ecu/cas etc that these should work together fine? both cars being an e90 this should be a straight drop in, mechanically speaking?

I understand there may be some coding required, however, this shouldn't be an issue. I have done some minor flashing with WinKFP, NSC, INPA etc and being a software engineer this shouldn't be to much of a task (I hope!)

Any advice or insight would be greatly appreciated
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2018, 11:44 PM   #2
nOshi
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: TiAg E90 335i

Just thinking high level.

Mechanically I don't see an issue. On the electronic side my main concern. The CAS will be good since your using the donor DME, and fob. But other systems might need to be coded. So it should start, just some things might show errors or not work. I'm just speculating, but might just need to update the VO and update Vin on CAS and all will be good.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2018, 01:50 AM   #3
Trolln
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nOshi View Post
Just thinking high level.

Mechanically I don't see an issue. On the electronic side my main concern. The CAS will be good since your using the donor DME, and fob. But other systems might need to be coded. So it should start, just some things might show errors or not work. I'm just speculating, but might just need to update the VO and update Vin on CAS and all will be good.
Yeah that was my thinking as well. Though, that's as far as my knowledge on that subject goes. I've really had no experience with the electrical side of anything newer than an e36
Trying to find more about the intricacies with the CAS and the options/modules that may vary between the two cars. Would the engine loom be the only thing that would require changing in the way of wiring or would the pinouts be different between the CAS on both cars etc?
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2018, 07:03 AM   #4
nOshi
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: TiAg E90 335i

Yes same here about less experience with the electrical side on this model. The CAS is usually interchangeable between e9x, e8x chassis, mainly for the six cylinder variants. So cross referencing with realoem or other method as you mention would shed more light on how much needs to be swapped over. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the pin outs are different. I would try and find a base 335i so a little less headache, such as no comfort access or heated anything. Unless you have those features on the current car.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2018, 08:24 AM   #5
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

You're gonna have to search...no one here is just gonna supply you that information because no one here has done it. If you look around, you'll find threads on other forums where this has been done a few times already. That's where your research needs to begin.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2018, 12:04 PM   #6
Rob09msport
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 335 msport

Pm d you
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2018, 04:32 AM   #7
JuniorB
Major
Rep
Drives: 07 e60 525 N54

There is a company called Awron iirc,,that build a stand alone for this engine. It's for this engine be put into any other older bmw, or car for that matter.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2018, 02:01 AM   #8
Trolln
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCobra94 View Post
You're gonna have to search...no one here is just gonna supply you that information because no one here has done it. If you look around, you'll find threads on other forums where this has been done a few times already. That's where your research needs to begin.
I don't expect anyone to do all the work for me. I have searched quite extensively but haven't found a lot in the way of answers. I was hoping someone could point me in the direction of what would be required ie, CAS should be plug and play but will need to flash xxxx etc.. and then I could go from there. But thank you none the less, i had a feeling it hadn't been done or at least documented.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob09msport
Pm d you
Excellent, Thanks Rob!
Appreciate 0