E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > DR-JEKL's 335i Intro & Build Thread

01-07-2013, 09:40 PM   #309
MO3
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: DCT M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaitan
Speaking of coding...how can I get rid of that warning sign everytime on start up? It's annoying...

Also what are the cool function that one can code to the car?
I had the following done:
- got rid of legal disclaimer
- TV in motion
- digital speedo
- cluster lights always on
      01-07-2013, 10:03 PM   #310
mrtanz
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 2008 325i upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaitan View Post
Speaking of coding...how can I get rid of that warning sign everytime on start up? It's annoying...

Also what are the cool function that one can code to the car?
Send me a PM to arrange a time to remove the disclaimer
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2013, 07:08 PM   #311
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Space Grey E92 335i 6MT

Well I haven't updated the build thread in a while!

The car is going great, it still surprises me at times how much power & torque it has with so few simple mods (procede, ams fmic & AR DP's)

I have a few small updates and still a few parts to install.

1. BMW PE arrived a while ago, but then I decided to sell that to another member who was chasing one and have decided to man up and go with a straight pipe setup (ala 1M meisterschaft type setup)

A mate of mine is a fabricator and I'm hoping to get him to bend the pipes up and weld the eisenmann tips on that I have purchased if I can get him away from his HQ monaro he is building.

2. BMW 335is/ european spec m stainless pedals

The accelerator pedal bolts straight in, brake and clutch are too big (LHD must have larger pedals?) so I will have to use some adhesive to fit them up

3. AFE DCI intake & BMS OCC will hopefully be installed this weekend if I get the time! Looking forward to what my car puts out on the dyno at the advan dyno day http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=797832

4. Repco had castrol 5W30 on for $49 for 5L last weekend, so I picked up 10L as this oil is BMW LL01 approved and I have always used it in most of my cars. my car had a full fluid change around 5000 kays and I have been tuned for about half that period so I will do the change shortly and install a fumoto drain valve (F109N is the model number) with nipple which makes oil changes fuss and mess free purchased from www.oilvalve.com.au

5. I was looking into getting my window trims vinyl wrapped (the bmw shadowline trim was around $960- I couldnt swallow that for a trim set) and was going to buy some 3m 3" vinyl tape and DIY, but decided to see a mate to spray them for me. He said its important to get a good prepcoat on and then he can spray them gloss black. So hopefully within the next week or so he can free up some time to work on my car and have the trims painted. I feel a s though this will be a better option, as eventually the vinyl will bubble fade or peel whereas the paint should be a lot more durable.

And now I'm getting ready to get the suspension sorted...

I have a set of eibach sway bars ready, unsure of if I'm going for just a simple springs and damper combo (eibach and bilstein b8's or even h&r sport springs and koni sports) or an entry level coilover such as the bilstein B14 kw V1's or man up and buy the bilstein B16's...

They way I look at it is i'm happy with the drop provided by some lowered springs, i have had fully adjustable coilovers before with electronic damper adjustment and i really didnt use all of the capabilities of the coilover why not save some $ go with some shocks and springs and use the $ saved to buy some m3 rear subframe bushes and megan toe arms and get my wavetrac installed...

Ahh well food for thought at least!

Last edited by DR-JEKL; 02-28-2013 at 11:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2013, 07:59 PM   #312
JJH
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: IB E92 M3 DCT; SG E90 325i

Great to see an update from you - she's coming along really well. Quite coincidently, I have also got the same Fumoto valve just a couple of weeks ago from the same source. Yet to do an oil change so have not fitted it but it will make life easier each time you do one.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2013, 11:11 PM   #313
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJH_335 View Post
Great to see an update from you - she's coming along really well. Quite coincidently, I have also got the same Fumoto valve just a couple of weeks ago from the same source. Yet to do an oil change so have not fitted it but it will make life easier each time you do one.
Yeah I'm not due yet as I don't drive the 335i a great deal, but it definitely shall make oil changes a breeze especially the neat nipple to fit a drain hose to, just drain straight to an empty oil container and done.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2013, 04:01 AM   #314
xtremelimit
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 335i / E70 X5

Great write-up, read through the 15 pages.

Awesome car btw!
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2013, 08:57 PM   #315
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtremelimit View Post
Great write-up, read through the 15 pages.

Awesome car btw!
Cheers mate, I have loved this car and the ease of which it gains power has blown me away and a few of my hardcore jdm mates are now interested in the car and have a newfound respect for bmw's!
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2013, 11:50 PM   #316
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep

Took her for a blap this afternoon after the AFE DCI intake install and I think there is a tad more power...

More noise then anything really, I was surprised for a turbo car it still has a nice induction note. One thing for sure with the DP's fmic & intake the DTC doesn't just flash it stays illuminated and really kills the fun at times, with it turned off the rear still has a reasonable amount of grip though! (I'm running 265/30 Good F1 A2's)
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2013, 12:51 AM   #317
Stuart@BMRAutowerkes
Major General
Rep
Drives: a black car

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR-JEKL View Post
or man up and buy the bilstein B16's...
^ this!

If you go springs only you'll regret it later and end up paying double the labour.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2013, 01:41 AM   #318
eriktufa
3r1k
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 MY08 BMW E92 335i

M-Sport suspension at least
      03-04-2013, 02:45 AM   #319
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart@BMRAutowerkes View Post
^ this!

If you go springs only you'll regret it later and end up paying double the labour.
Well I plan on DIY for the shocks and springs

I understand your logic, and it is nice being able to customise the height to suit but in all honesty I'm happy with the ride height as is, just some slightly stiffer dampers and springs would be nice (I have the lower oem sport springs)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriktufa View Post
M-Sport suspension at least
haha no thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2013, 06:56 PM   #320
Stuart@BMRAutowerkes
Major General
Rep
Drives: a black car

So whats the plan for shocks and springs?

It's not just about stiffer shocks as you may then feel the springs need firming up or they aren't matched properly or something...
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2013, 10:11 PM   #321
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart@BMRAutowerkes View Post
So whats the plan for shocks and springs?

It's not just about stiffer shocks as you may then feel the springs need firming up or they aren't matched properly or something...
Either go with the bilstein prokit (with matching eibach springs) or koni sports (they have recently merged with H&R I believe and offer a package with matching springs and shocks)

Yes its not just about stiffer dampers, that's why I wish to complement them with stiffer springs also.

From what I have researched the koni's are slightly firmer along with the H&R sport springs, whereas the bilstein kit is more forgiving.

I have had bilsteins & konis in the past and I had a few issues with leakage (installed and purchased through heasmans) and there are quite a few reports on this forum of issues with blow shocks also (I realise in some applications some guys install the incorrect shocks i.e B6's on lowered springs) whereas the konis were fine for years. On the flipside the konis also offer damper adjustment (the rear shock must be removed to be adjusted unfortunately)

So does one go for comfort, or a slightly stiffer setup with damper adjustment...

These days they both offer a lifetime guarantee which is nice..

Or I may pay an extra $300 for the bilstein B14 coilovers (height adjustment)

I cant really justify the extra $1200 for the B16's over shocks and springs in my application at this stage when I still have a lot of other aspects of the car I wish to throw $ at also.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2013, 12:00 AM   #322
eriktufa
3r1k
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 MY08 BMW E92 335i

Suspension is something that you want to do it once and right!

I changed a lot of suspension in the past for my cars and I wish I bought only one (and expensive) coilover but you won't/can't go wrong with either Bilstein / KW.

I'm not sure how good Bilsterin PSS10 damper is but my old PSS9 damper adjustment is crap and pretty much useless (1-8 has similar feel and 9 is just crazy hard).
      03-07-2013, 07:45 PM   #323
JJH
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: IB E92 M3 DCT; SG E90 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR-JEKL View Post
From what I have researched the koni's are slightly firmer along with the H&R sport springs, whereas the bilstein kit is more forgiving.
I have had a different experience here. I have found in the past it is H&R spring set that causes the ride to be firm and not the Konis. I have always found Eibach springs to be far superior in all aspects - ride quality and control. In past BMWs, the Koni/Eibach combo had always been my choice.

And rear Koni adjustment only requires the car to be jacked up, not removed from the car.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2013, 05:36 AM   #324
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep

Well I finally got around to getting my window trims painted and I'm really happy with the final results.

For such a simple mod imo it really neatens the car up and complements the other minor mods I have made to 'modernise' the car somewhat with the 313 rims lci tails etc.

There are a few minor blemishes in the paint finish when you look up close but on a whole I'm sure its a much more durable finish then vinyl wrap and I just couldn't justify paying $1K for a new shadowline trim.

I have also decided to change the cf mirror caps on the mirrors, and just decided to buy another set and have space grey mirror caps for a neater appearance (hence why I have a set of genuine m3 mirrors listed for sale atm)

Pics of when I 1st bought the car:

As she is now after a wash and a coat of zymol wax

Whilst I was snapping shots of my car this cayman was parked behind me

Hopefully this week I can get my custom straight pipes with eisenmann tips done
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2013, 03:09 PM   #325
Gemballa1980
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Love your work!

I also rather the colour coded mirrors over CF..
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2013, 06:04 PM   #326
xtremelimit
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 335i / E70 X5

Car is looking great Shane!

Would you know if they removed the window trims? I'm still deciding whether to paint or wrap them. I've been getting a few quotes for paint and they're charging a lot of $$$, I was told that removing them is not simple.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2013, 07:42 PM   #327
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtremelimit View Post
Car is looking great Shane!

Would you know if they removed the window trims? I'm still deciding whether to paint or wrap them. I've been getting a few quotes for paint and they're charging a lot of $$$, I was told that removing them is not simple.
Nope all you have to do is mask around the windows and paint, but it would be a lot better to remove the upper pieces if possible. All you have to remove is the mirrors which is a 15 min job really.

Shame you weren't up here mate I could have put you in touch with my mate who done it for $150
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2013, 08:23 PM   #328
bmshez
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 325i Coupe M Sport (E92)

Great thread and opening post! Your car is looking amazing.

I haven't read through it all yet but was there any hassle in bringing it interstate in terms of rego etc.?

I'm in the market and there are some nice E92s in NSW...it must have been great that the first major drive you did in your car was a long interstate trip!
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2013, 09:22 PM   #329
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMNewbstar View Post
Great thread and opening post! Your car is looking amazing.

I haven't read through it all yet but was there any hassle in bringing it interstate in terms of rego etc.?

I'm in the market and there are some nice E92s in NSW...it must have been great that the first major drive you did in your car was a long interstate trip!
Cheers dude

No dramas, basically you have to get a new complete rego in nsw (we call it a blue slip inspection here) and get a refund from vic roads for the remaining amount of rego.

Its a small hassle, and financially it costs extra purchasing a car interstate but I was keen on this car as it was one of two E92 335i's that was a manual at the time on carsales and it was worthwhile plus the trip home was certainly memorable.

Just a shame I didn't have a few more days to enjoy the trip more, as its a long drive to do in 2 days after having flown to Melb.

Good luck with your E92 hunt!
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2013, 05:34 AM   #330
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep

It was great to meet a few new faces at the advan dyno day today, fantastic weather and some damn nice rides there!

Unfortunately my car didn't put out what I expected, but the boost curve is a lot smoother now with the fmic thats for sure.

Pete mentioned that its running low on boost (13psi whereas its normally ~15psi) and there would be another 20kw in it with a custom tune...

Procede only:

Procede, AR DP's, AA CP, AMS FMIC & AFE intake

I had made this comment a few months ago in a procede help thread on the 1addicts site unsure of if its related or not

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjekl View Post
Great to hear its running better with the new maps dude.

Can anyone chime in on my issue (I'm not entirely sure it is an issue though!)

I had a procede with the latest maps installed by adrian in oct 2012, then a few months later i had a ams fmic (with custom advan 3" piping up to the active autowerke cp) and ar dp's installed. The car really hauled a lot harder from any revs after this, but lately I don't feel as though it has as much oomph in 2nd gear 3krpm +. The car is running fine, with no codes etc could this just be a placebo effect that I'm used to the extra power and its no longer quite as pronounced, or could it be that the ecu has had more time to adjust and learn with detrimental affects on power?

I'm a total noob with the procede so i haven't done any logs whatsoever...

Hopefully Pete gets that advan dyno day happening shortly so i can chuck it up and see what gains the fmic & DP's have had (it ran about 224kw with the procede only)
Hmm have to do some research and ask a few knowledgable guys on what the issue may be, I asked Pete is it a boost leak causing the issue but he didnt seem to think so

As a reference this is Ians car that was run just before mine:

Last edited by DR-JEKL; 03-20-2013 at 08:49 PM..
Appreciate 0