E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Tracking, Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques > 335xi said "NIE!" on the track...

09-08-2008, 02:05 PM   #1
JustDee
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335xi cp

335xi said "NIE!" on the track...

So I took the car to an autox event last week, and halfway thru the second heat, the car started shaking a little especially at the point of clutch engagement. Took it out anyways to see how it would run, and halfway thru the course, I lost power completely. The AWD and DSC error message came on and the car limped back between 1000-1500 rpms. Shut the car down, and when we started it back up at the end of the event (2 hours later) it was perfectly fine! Anyone know what could have happened? DTC was shut off, but I think DSC was still on. Most of the runs were done in 1st and 2nd (primarily 2nd) since there were alot of turns. Oil temps were in the 230-245 degree range. Any ideas?!
      09-08-2008, 02:11 PM   #2
leftcoastman
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i

yowzas. Sounds like a dealer visit is in order.

Possibly something to do with the AWD system. The only time I've ever gotten the Christmas tree is when I ran out of gas ----meaning taking a hard turn with less than 1/3 tank of gas.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2008, 07:11 PM   #3
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

"the car started shaking a little especially at the point of clutch engagement"

Seems like you are getting some 'clutch shudder', and this is usually from the clutch being overheated by the user. Perhaps hold off on using a lot of throttle until you are sure the clutch is fully engaged?

Did you hit the fuel cutoff a lot during your runs? There was some speculation on the boards a while back that hitting fuel cutoff might be linked to triggering the 'limp home' mode
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2008, 11:39 AM   #4
JustDee
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335xi cp

"fuel cutoff"

You mean the brake? There was some braking, especially before some of the turns but I don't think it was excessive. There was a BMW tech guy there and he was saying that it could be a kinked oil line or something to do with the turbo wastegate?? I'm not technical at all when it comes to cars, so I have no idea....