E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > valvetronic wont relearn, and a rattle.

06-01-2019, 09:08 AM   #1
steve_b9
Rep
Drives: bmw 335i se lci

valvetronic wont relearn, and a rattle.

need help, my valvetronic motor wont relearn.

its a long story, I bought the car at the beginning of march this year, 2 weeks later had the engine management light come on, poor fuel consumption ect. had a couple of valvetronic errors, and wouldn't start. I could hear a motor turning under the rocker cover even with ign off.

the guy I bought the car off took the car back for a week and a half and eventually fitted a new valvetronic motor (genuine part).

I got the car back but it broke almost immediately with no6 rod bearing spun
so last weekend I finally got the car running after rebuilding the engine to the tune of £4k, now when I turn on the ign there is a rattling noise under the rocker cover, lasts about 5-10 secs, ive removed the rocker cover and confirmed that its the motor making the noise as it reaches the last limit of its check.
ive refitted it all and ive tried to teach-in \ relearn the motor, im using a snap-on diagnostic tool, solus ultra I think, itll go through the motions but I don't hear much. it clears all values, then does 450 cycles to learn, then does a further 50 cycles to make sure there is no errors, but at the end of this it looses communication and stores a fault something like valvetronic values not learnt,

there are a couple of chipped teeth on the eccentric shaft, but not where it is making the rattling noise. 1 tooth about half way round. and one tooth at the other end. I don't see that this would effect the mesh of the motor as its a worm drive and has several points of contact.

if anyone has any idea or suggestions it would be greatly appreciated.

Appreciate 0
      06-09-2019, 10:28 AM   #2
steve_b9
Rep
Drives: bmw 335i se lci

So I've replaced the shaft as I found a broken tooth. And now I don't get the rattling noise under the rocker cover.
I've run the relearn /teach in procedure.
The first time it put up an engine management light 2dce valvetronic system. No adjustment possible. I could hear it doing the procedure untill the light came on.
I cleared the faults and tried again. And it went all the way through but couldn't hear it adjusting. And lost communication at the very end.
So I tried again and could hear it adjusting then the light came on again. Same fault
So the shaft is brand new. All moves freely.
The motor is around 100miles old. Brand new from BMW.
Any help would be appreciated
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2020, 11:38 AM   #3
Gimmedhaloot
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 bmw 535i

Hey I’m going through the same problem car running 133e10 changed out valvtronic motor and unable to run the relearn in autologics. Need help !!!
Appreciate 0