E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > M57 Tuning, Maintenance, Parts and DIY MEGATHREAD

02-01-2017, 07:30 PM   #45
nicklockard
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 w/Nav; paddleshifters

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanTheBruce View Post
I think that they are only labeled "race pipe" to avoid any legal repercussions for deleting emissions equiptment. Kind of like a "Race Use Only" disclaimer. I know it's not going to give me +100whp or anything like that.

I know you know. That's why I said not picking on you. I just see tons of Tdi guys suckered into buying so much blingy, worthless crap like this. I just hate marketing BS is all.

Mods: *ATM 304SS Turbo-back exhaust, w/ ox-cat *ATM stepped intercooler *ATM silicone tubing kits (hot & cold sides) JR 2.8 tune *Whitbread CP3R90 HPFP *AArod EGR racepipe*Execuhitch hidden hitch *Stage 3 transmission tune
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2017, 08:11 PM   #46
dmanb2b
Banned
Rep
Drives: G07, F97, F30, E90, E46, E30

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicklockard View Post
I know you know. That's why I said not picking on you. I just see tons of Tdi guys suckered into buying so much blingy, worthless crap like this. I just hate marketing BS is all.
Idk that i'd go as far as calling it worthless crap. It serves a purpose...
Appreciate 1
      02-02-2017, 12:06 AM   #47
Torqu3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Yeah, there was a thread recently showing that a blocked EGR(effectively the same thing as a race pipe) will cut out, or at least exponentially cut back the carbon build up. A race pipe would be serving a purpose, just not really any performance boost. The term "race pipe" is a bit misleading, but it's a rather common term for the part, so Ill let it stand. It's better than calling it "EGR cooler delete piece and intake air straightener". Some people claim better throttle response with a race pipe, but I have no empirical data on that.

Last edited by Torqu3; 02-02-2017 at 12:11 AM..
Appreciate 1
      02-02-2017, 02:37 PM   #48
Hoooper
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanTheBruce View Post
I bought the same race pipe you did. What should I do about capping off the exhaust manifold port for the EGR cooler? The race pipe only came with bolts and a gasket but no cap for the exhaust side like the AArodriguez kit.
I dont have my EGR blocked at the cooler side. I would guess you contact iaknown if you want a plate for the manifold side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicklockard View Post
I'm not picking on you, but every time I read 'race pipe' I think it's the biggest marketing BS ever. There's nothing racy about them. They do nothing for performance. #offmysoapboxnow
Thats not entirely true, especially at the higher boost levels most of us are running. The EGR when blocked/disabled still blocks a pretty big area in the intake tract, the "race pipe" gets rid of the giant obstruction. I believe TDIwyse has some testing data that shows its an improvement even though the pressure drop tests showed its a pretty small improvement. Of course, as you push more air through there the improvement grows.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2017, 06:39 PM   #49
nicklockard
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 w/Nav; paddleshifters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqu3 View Post
"EGR cooler delete piece and intake air straightener".
LOL. I like it!

ECR-CDP/IAS

Mods: *ATM 304SS Turbo-back exhaust, w/ ox-cat *ATM stepped intercooler *ATM silicone tubing kits (hot & cold sides) JR 2.8 tune *Whitbread CP3R90 HPFP *AArod EGR racepipe*Execuhitch hidden hitch *Stage 3 transmission tune
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2017, 11:21 PM   #50
EvanTheBruce
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335d Stage 2+

[QUOTE=Hoooper;21213961]I dont have my EGR blocked at the cooler side. I would guess you contact iaknown if you want a plate for the manifold side.

I already have Iaknown's EGR block off plates installed. I was under the impression that the EGR race pipe is to delete the EGR cooler all together. I want to route my waste gate in this area like TDIwyse did. Is your EGR cooler still intact?
Appreciate 1
      02-03-2017, 07:05 AM   #51
TDIwyse
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoooper View Post
...The EGR when blocked/disabled still blocks a pretty big area in the intake tract, the "race pipe" gets rid of the giant obstruction. I believe TDIwyse has some testing data that shows its an improvement even though the pressure drop tests showed its a pretty small improvement. Of course, as you push more air through there the improvement grows.
I agree that as more air is moved, this becomes a bigger and bigger problem area.

It was DWR who measured some of the intake track losses in this area: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1115653

"Finally I tested losses from the output of the intercooler to the intake manifold. Essentially looking at the effects of the throttle body and EGR flow disruptions. At max airflow, that came in at a whopping 3.75 psi (sorry the picture is not clear, but you can match it up with the previous picture as the intercooler output reading is the same). If you measure the hydraulic diameters along the intake tract, you will find the throttle body is the tightest squeeze, so while significant, this result wasn't that surprising. It does highlight a potential improvement area. "

I did, however, post about modifying this area, and showed the massive obstruction this EGR valve puts right into the air flow path, close to a year earlier: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1006097
      02-03-2017, 09:52 AM   #52
OmahaDZL
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 335D

Suspension

All of this is great...Ill be doing some of it as well.

I blew a turbo seal so I went directly to stage 3 from JR....while it took forever to get my engine back in running order again, its nearing completion and Im about to start throwing mods at it again.

I have chosen to start with LSD.... 400 hp and 600 lb ft arent getting to the ground very well without it...

That said...no one here has mentioned suspension in this thread. Coming from an S4 with aftermarket suspension, even the Sports package shocks/springs/sways did not feel solid or safe to me. Besides the JBD, my first real mods were the Swaybarbarian swaybar from UUC and eibach progressive springs... (I left the koni sport shocks).... Looking back I would probably have just gone with a package kit of eibach springs/sways. It made a MASSIVE difference in handling performance and ride quality. I may never own a car for long that has stock suspension parts...

Disclaimer....installing the rear sway is awful....you have to drop the entire rear subframe....just as well do the exhaust work while you are there....
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2017, 11:38 AM   #53
EvanTheBruce
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335d Stage 2+

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmahaDZL View Post
All of this is great...Ill be doing some of it as well.

I blew a turbo seal so I went directly to stage 3 from JR....while it took forever to get my engine back in running order again, its nearing completion and Im about to start throwing mods at it again.

I have chosen to start with LSD.... 400 hp and 600 lb ft arent getting to the ground very well without it...

That said...no one here has mentioned suspension in this thread. Coming from an S4 with aftermarket suspension, even the Sports package shocks/springs/sways did not feel solid or safe to me. Besides the JBD, my first real mods were the Swaybarbarian swaybar from UUC and eibach progressive springs... (I left the koni sport shocks).... Looking back I would probably have just gone with a package kit of eibach springs/sways. It made a MASSIVE difference in handling performance and ride quality. I may never own a car for long that has stock suspension parts...

Disclaimer....installing the rear sway is awful....you have to drop the entire rear subframe....just as well do the exhaust work while you are there....
Glad you mentioned suspension because I have noted it a few times in here. I have been ordering parts every week for my suspension build this April.

Heres my list:

Bilstein PSS B14 coilovers
ECS front and rear sway bars
FCP Euro M3 front and rear control arms kit
Aluminum Subframe Bushings
M3 differential bushings
Differential Lockdown brace
FCP Tie rod kit + alignment
Bridgestone RE11 tires

My brakes are already upgraded with the ECS bushing kit, Hawk HPS pads, ATE Typ 200 fluid, Stainless brake hoses, new Brake Master Cylinder, and Zimmerman Rotors -- man did that make a HUGE difference! My car is at 125k, 117k when I swapped the brakes so refreshing the entire system was in order. Highly recommend these mods to anyone here.
Appreciate 1
Yozh868.00
      02-05-2017, 10:04 PM   #54
Torqu3
Major
United_States
Rep

Has anyone here messed around with the stock sport suspension. I feel like it's a bit too rough and low. I can deal with the height I suppose, but I'm not a fan of how rough it is. Any way to soften it up?
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2017, 10:08 PM   #55
Yozh
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d M-Sport

Get new shocks like Koni adjustable or Bilstein. Get rid of the runflats if you have not yet done so.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2017, 11:19 PM   #56
Torqu3
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yozh View Post
Get new shocks like Koni adjustable or Bilstein. Get rid of the runflats if you have not yet done so.
I'm not too familiar with suspension systems, but I know there are many parts. Shocks, struts, springs, dampeners, etc. Would I be okay only replacing the shocks and keeping everything else stock? Adjustable does sound very appealing. I was also considering going down to 17" wheels and tires for a square setup. That should help out with the rough ride as well. Haven't had runflats since I bought the car.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2017, 10:16 PM   #57
Yozh
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Depends on your mileage. You may wish to refresh a few other things. For the fronts, as you have to take them apart, you may as well use new upper strut mounts. Rear, I would refresh the upper shock mounts, may be use Monroe ones as OEM are spongy. Front control arm bushings eventually start leaking, most upgrade to M3, but if you want a softer ride, may not be for you. Are roads in TX really that bad?
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2017, 10:24 PM   #58
Torqu3
Major
United_States
Rep

Perhaps overall the roads aren't that bad, but just for my location(country, back roads), the ride is pretty rough. I'm at 82k miles, and average about 2k miles a month. Last time I was under the car I checked out the suspension bits and they seemed to be in good shape.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2017, 07:03 PM   #59
splatz400
Rep
Drives: 335d

Maybe update this with the Xhp TCU flash that is now available.
Appreciate 1
Torqu3319.00
      02-25-2017, 01:32 PM   #60
Torqu3
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by splatz400 View Post
Maybe update this with the Xhp TCU flash that is now available.
Cheers! Good call.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2017, 02:24 PM   #61
ASBSECU E93
Know's a guy that know's a guy...
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d; 2008 135i

2 weeks.....I have to wait a whopping 2 F'n weeks until I get the LSD and hybrids back....

The wait is KILLIN me...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lups View Post
Poop shit, shit and poop. I'm mildly angry now.
Appreciate 1
      03-04-2017, 11:48 PM   #62
Yozh
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASBSECU E93 View Post
2 weeks.....I have to wait a whopping 2 F'n weeks until I get the LSD and hybrids back....

The wait is KILLIN me...
Who is doing your LSD, and what kind?
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2017, 11:58 PM   #63
ASBSECU E93
Know's a guy that know's a guy...
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d; 2008 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yozh View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASBSECU E93 View Post

The wait is KILLIN me...
Who is doing your LSD, and what kind?
Wavetrac.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lups View Post
Poop shit, shit and poop. I'm mildly angry now.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2017, 09:32 AM   #64
Torqu3
Major
United_States
Rep

Just an update on my cars for anyone that cares. I received my Buzzken down pipe and race pipe(EGR-CDP/IAS) in the mail. I'll be gutting the stock exhaust and installing everything this weekend and into next week. Will take as many pictures as possible.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2017, 04:22 PM   #65
derkenblosh
Private
Rep
Drives: White 335D & White Suburban

Wait for the LSD before installing the rear swaybar... track times were worse with a larger rear bar, even tho it "felt" better. (autox) ... sure was more fun with the big bar, but it's going to have to wait till an LSD upgrade IMO*.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2017, 12:15 PM   #66
Torqu3
Major
United_States
Rep

Big update to this thread!
Appreciate 0