E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Zero cost reversable electrical EGR delete

07-07-2017, 09:29 AM   #1
torqueisking
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335D Sport

Zero cost reversable electrical EGR delete

Yet another EGR delete thread but I just had to share this one as it works really well and can be easily reversed for those of us in emission testing regions.

Credit for this discovery goes to TDIwyse who mentioned the effect of no EGR valve feedback in another thread (searched but couldn't find it) but didn't include how to implement the mod in that thread ( apologies if implementation was explained in another thread and I missed it ).

***Update 15May19: This mod has been successfully tested on the E9x platform. Tests by xpro indicated that is it NOT a safe mod for the F30 platform.

I initially blocked my EGR at the EGR valve body with a copper disc. While it worked, I noticed a mileage decrease, frequent DPF regens and multiple codes thrown ( 45B7 , 4862 , 4B82 ).

Electrially disconnecting the EGR valve entirely results in limp home mode BUT electrically disconnecting the feedback sensor (hall effect sensor I believe) implements the effect TDIwyse discovered.

EGR utilization is now always zero and only a single code is thrown ( 4CAE ). Mileage increased from 9.2l/100km to 8.4l/100km (dash reading) or about 100km more per tank. That's with a 70/30% highway/city driving ratio and AC usually on. These results are from my X5 35D which I drive like a normal human being. The 335D is WOT every chance I get

Instructions

Disconnect the connector from the EGR valve motor.

There is a pink plastic terminal restraint in the connector that needs to be shifted laterally towards pin #1 of the connector.

You can just barely see it in the photo below. It's in the locked position. I used the metal pick in the photo to slide it aside. This requires very little force.

With the pink terminal restraint unlocked, partially unbend a paperclip and fully insert the wire into the SMALL hole beside the pin #5 terminal. Now gently pull the wire (black) and terminal out from the back of the connector.

Slide the pink terminal restraint back into the locked position after removing the terminal or it won't go back into the EGR valve motor.

Insert the connector back into the EGR motor.

That's it. The EGR valve will now never open. Reverse these instructions if you're going in for an emission test but do it well in advance to allow time for the DDE monitors to become "ready".

While this is effective as an EGR delete, I still recommend removal of the EGR cooler with blocking at the exhaust manifold and the coolant bypass. I've had two of these EGR coolers crack. They are failure prone and a reliability concern.

Last edited by torqueisking; 05-15-2019 at 09:47 AM.. Reason: included warning against use on F30 platform
Appreciate 6
      07-07-2017, 09:49 AM   #2
Kyle335D
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by torqueisking View Post
Yet another EGR delete thread but I just had to share this one as it works really well and can be easily reversed for those of us in emission testing regions.

Credit for this discovery goes to TDIwyse who mentioned the effect of no EGR valve feedback in another thread (searched but couldn't find it) but didn't include how to implement the mod in that thread ( apologies if implementation was explained in another thread and I missed it ).

I initially blocked my EGR at the EGR valve body with a copper disc. While it worked, I noticed a mileage decrease, frequent DPF regens and multiple codes thrown ( 45B7 , 4862 , 4B82 ).

Electrially disconnecting the EGR valve entirely results in limp home mode BUT electrically disconnecting the feedback sensor (hall effect sensor I believe) implements the effect TDIwyse discovered.

EGR utilization is now always zero and only a single code is thrown ( 4CAE ). Mileage increased from 9.2l/100km to 8.4l/100km (dash reading) or about 100km more per tank. That's with a 70/30% highway/city driving ratio and AC usually on. These results are from my X5 35D which I drive like a normal human being. The 335D is WOT every chance I get

Instructions

Disconnect the connector from the EGR valve motor.

Partially unbend a paperclip and fully insert the wire into the SMALL hole beside the pin #5 terminal. Now gently pull the wire (black) and terminal out from the back of the connector. Insert the connector back into the EGR motor.

That's it. The EGR valve will now never open. Reverse these instructions if you're going in for an emission test but do it well in advance to allow time for the DDE monitors to become "ready".

While this is effective as an EGR delete, I still recommend removal of the EGR cooler with blocking at the exhaust manifold and the coolant bypass. I've had two of these EGR coolers crack. They are failure prone and a reliability concern.
Do you believe using this method will increase the likelihood of the EGR to crack?
Appreciate 3
      07-07-2017, 10:30 AM   #3
335stoner
BRR tuned
Rep
Drives: 335D black

i think you are thinking of the EGR cooler...
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2017, 10:57 AM   #4
rotatool
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335d

Looks like a nice find. Does this mod cause more regens and does the code 4CAE cause the check engine light to come on?
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2017, 11:20 AM   #5
Len_Beach
Major
Rep
Drives: 435d

Could you use some sort of resistor to remove the fault code?
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2017, 11:21 AM   #6
Hoooper
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335D

Is this verified by looking at the egr utilization commanded by the dde and seeing that the dde is commanding 0?
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2017, 11:49 AM   #7
torqueisking
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle335D View Post
Do you believe using this method will increase the likelihood of the EGR to crack?
Both of my EGR coolers cracked without any EGR customization. The EGR isn't active under high load/ high exhaust temp conditions. While the mod would increase the EGR cooler temp at lower loads, the temps would still be lower than a no EGR-delete engine under high load.

Bottom line, it shouldn't increase the maximum temp the EGR cooler is exposed to and not make it any more prone to crack.
Appreciate 1
      07-07-2017, 11:53 AM   #8
torqueisking
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotatool View Post
Looks like a nice find. Does this mod cause more regens and does the code 4CAE cause the check engine light to come on?
Less regens than mechanically blocking the EGR flow and based on my visibility using Torque, the same as a functional EGR system.

4CAE code illuminates the engine check light as most drive-train malfunction codes do I believe.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2017, 11:56 AM   #9
torqueisking
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len_Beach View Post
Could you use some sort of resistor to remove the fault code?
Unfortunately not. If you have no codes, you will have EGR utilization.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2017, 11:59 AM   #10
torqueisking
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoooper View Post
Is this verified by looking at the egr utilization commanded by the dde and seeing that the dde is commanding 0?
Yes. EGR utilization % always reads zero with this mod as confirmed by the Torque app. Before applying this mod, the reading range was 0 to 100%.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2017, 10:44 AM   #11
torqueisking
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Sorry guys. I forgot one important detail (actually did this mod many weeks ago ).

There is a pink plastic terminal restraint that needs to be shifted laterally towards pin #1 of the connector.

You can just barely see it in the second photo. It's in the locked position. I used the metal pick in the photo to slide it aside. This requires very little force. Slide it back into the locked position after removing the terminal or it won't go back into the EGR valve motor.

Last edited by torqueisking; 07-10-2017 at 06:03 PM.. Reason: now added to the OP
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2017, 10:30 AM   #12
OmahaDZL
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Sorry guys. I forgot one important detail (actually did this mod many weeks ago ).

There is a pink plastic terminal restraint that needs to be shifted laterally towards pin #1 of the connector.

You can just barely see it in the second photo. It's in the locked position. I used the metal pick in the photo to slide it aside. This requires very little force. Slide it back into the locked position after removing the terminal or it won't go back into the EGR valve motor.
This is a SUPER mod and one that our friends in CA should all be doing. Thank you for finding TDIwyse 's comment/thread and documenting it....this group has come so far from a few peoples work and genius....

a suggestion, go back and edit your original post to include the pink clip, just to keep all the instructions in one place...
Appreciate 1
      07-10-2017, 05:58 PM   #13
torqueisking
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmahaDZL View Post
This is a SUPER mod and one that our friends in CA should all be doing. Thank you for finding TDIwyse 's comment/thread and documenting it....this group has come so far from a few peoples work and genius....

a suggestion, go back and edit your original post to include the pink clip, just to keep all the instructions in one place...
great idea... done.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2017, 08:54 AM   #14
torqueisking
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Mileage Update

With a 2hr road trip last week (A/C operating), my average mileage is now 7.6L/100km (about 31 mpg US) and I'm over 900KM with a little less than a 1/4 tank left.

This is definitely better mileage than with the EGR active.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2017, 09:20 AM   #15
robnitro
Captain
Rep
Drives: x5 35d e70 2011

Quote:
Both of my EGR coolers cracked without any EGR customization. The EGR isn't active under high load/ high exhaust temp conditions. While the mod would increase the EGR cooler temp at lower loads, the temps would still be lower than a no EGR-delete engine under high load.

Bottom line, it shouldn't increase the maximum temp the EGR cooler is exposed to and not make it any more prone to crack.
Without egr flowing gas, the temperature would always be cooler. Static gas sitting there would lose its heat.

With the coolant lines still there the static gas inside the cooler and pipe would be close to coolant temperature.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2017, 10:33 AM   #16
bayerischer
Private
Rep
Drives: 335d e92

hey i am not sure, if i understand what is the procieger. what is the paper clip? do u insert it into that one slot there on the side, so basically you going to cut the current in that one whole right? or? i don't even know what is a paper clip
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2017, 12:02 PM   #17
335dwanted
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayerischer View Post
hey i am not sure, if i understand what is the procieger. what is the paper clip? do u insert it into that one slot there on the side, so basically you going to cut the current in that one whole right? or? i don't even know what is a paper clip
Appreciate 2
      07-30-2017, 01:47 PM   #18
bayerischer
Private
Rep
Drives: 335d e92

ok that's what i thought, and so u gonna insert it there why? i thought u wanna block that slot, and not insert electrical current carrier
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2017, 03:17 PM   #19
OmahaDZL
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
ok that's what i thought, and so u gonna insert it there why? i thought u wanna block that slot, and not insert electrical current carrier
I thought this might happen. torqueisking , can you make a quick video howto and load it to youtube? and then link it here?
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2017, 04:49 PM   #20
OmahaDZL
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

The way Im understanding it is that once you slide the little lever, you can push that connection out of the plastic plug entirely with said paperclip....
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2017, 04:55 PM   #21
Torqu3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmahaDZL View Post
The way Im understanding it is that once you slide the little lever, you can push that connection out of the plastic plug entirely with said paperclip....
Just reread the thread. That's EXACTLY what you're doing. The paper clip doesn't just stay in there. It's used to remove that connector from the plug.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2017, 05:05 PM   #22
flynryan
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

so you will get a check engine light??????? Thats the only thing that is holding me back.
Appreciate 0