E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > AVIN 8.8inch - who has this?

12-29-2018, 02:37 AM   #331
bsmoov
Captain
Rep
Drives: e91 6 speed touring

@maddog99

Just file a dispute through PayPal, simple.

I’m assuming u bought the 8.8 inch I-Drive version, if it was the 10.25, how would you return it and have a hole in your dash?
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2019, 08:20 PM   #332
Aussieatlarge
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2007 e93 335i

Recently installed an 8.8 inch android (Avin type) unit into a ProNav 2007 E93, which I purchased from Aliexpress. It came configured for the wrong Idrive Type and the wrong screen resolution (messes up the original scheme). Fortunately, after too many hours wading through the internet I realized I can change both by going to Factory settings and using code 1314. Idrive fixed but....
when I attempt to change the car type tp E60 8.8 I get the error message "SD card or U drive did not find file CarType.xml. This seems a bit strange because I am guessing that the list of optional "cartypes" from which I had to choose, would have read from this file. So, I can create the xml file from info I got off the internet, place it on an sd card and then what? Am I wrong in assuming that I actually need to reflash the whole OS?
Any help, files, etc would be most appreciated. Once resolved I will open a thread that lists exactly what was done and include all files.

Aliexpress probably will not respond to me.....
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2019, 11:41 PM   #333
PORTMOODY
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Coal Roller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussieatlarge View Post
Recently installed an 8.8 inch android (Avin type) unit into a ProNav 2007 E93, which I purchased from Aliexpress. It came configured for the wrong Idrive Type and the wrong screen resolution (messes up the original scheme). Fortunately, after too many hours wading through the internet I realized I can change both by going to Factory settings and using code 1314. Idrive fixed but....
when I attempt to change the car type tp E60 8.8 I get the error message "SD card or U drive did not find file CarType.xml. This seems a bit strange because I am guessing that the list of optional "cartypes" from which I had to choose, would have read from this file. So, I can create the xml file from info I got off the internet, place it on an sd card and then what? Am I wrong in assuming that I actually need to reflash the whole OS?
Any help, files, etc would be most appreciated. Once resolved I will open a thread that lists exactly what was done and include all files.

You might get some help here but I think xda developers forum gets a lot more traffic for these types of issues. If you don't get support here, I'd try that forum.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2019, 11:50 PM   #334
gamesfrager
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i

Sorry, just a rant.
But holy batman... seriously! This is supposed to be an Android unit that you can modify and update.
Yet it seems another locked-down system!

Another issue I see with this setup is the requirement to replace it few years from now.
If you use any type of a smart phone, you know how slow they get the more they age.

I was hoping I can finish my custom android setup before the end of this year (riiiiigh)

Sorry for the rant. Happy new year, everyone.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2019, 06:07 AM   #335
Kuj0n
Enlisted Member
Poland
Rep
Drives: F31 LCI 320xdA B47

Hello
One question.
I have latest .mcu and .img for 10.25inch unit.
Can I use these files from to update my 8.8inch unit? Of course both are android 7.1.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2019, 06:19 PM   #336
Marcin8690
Rep
Drives: BME E90, 320D, N47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuj0n View Post
Hello
One question.
Can I use these files from to update my 8.8inch unit? Of course both are android 7.1.
I'm also interested in it.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2019, 11:46 PM   #337
gamesfrager
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Hello
One question.
From my experience with installing ROMs, soft bricking, bringing back to life, and modding so many different Android smartphones and tablets; flashing the wrong image file will soft brick (bootloop) your device.

The image file from 10.25 inch hardware has to be installed on an exact hardware that runs the older version.
If you don't end up with a bootloop; you might end up with constant crashes on the interface.

Be very careful and make sure you research and get setup for recovery when the cake hits the fan.

Good luck
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2019, 02:50 AM   #338
Kuj0n
Enlisted Member
Poland
Rep

I have installed update from this link
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ikN...ew?usp=sharing
My unit is 8.8inch android 7.1.1 px3 2gb RAM from aliexpress.
screen before
https://www.dropbox.com/s/mqg62qo2hv507z4/IMG_2421.jpg
and after update.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/2zu4z2l1xep7wxk/IMG_2423.jpg

Last edited by Kuj0n; 01-03-2019 at 03:02 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2019, 12:53 PM   #339
PaKii94
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 335D

Quote:
I have installed update from this link
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ikN...ew?usp=sharing
My unit is 8.8inch android 7.1.1 px3 2gb RAM from aliexpress.
screen before
https://www.dropbox.com/s/mqg62qo2hv507z4/IMG_2421.jpg
and after update.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/2zu4z2l1xep7wxk/IMG_2423.jpg
Any bugs? You used the 10in files right?
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2019, 03:08 PM   #340
Kuj0n
Enlisted Member
Poland
Rep

bugs... hmm - music player has stopped being stopped when navi is running - so after 3 days of using this update I am really satificed.
There is one new function named "learning touch buttons" but I didn't find out yet how it works.
Maybe it's subjective but I think my unit is more stable and smooth.
I'm not sure link i have provided is 100% same as 10inch(i've got it from other source)
Appreciate 1
      01-10-2019, 09:19 PM   #341
markdmor
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 528i E60

AVIN... very buggy :(

Hi, I have a 2010 BMW 528i E60.

I got the Avin Android v7.1 screen, dash cam, rear camera, Apple CarPlay adapter, and tire sensors.

So far, these are the some of the issues I have had...

- The dash cam records to the microSD card in the side, but does not communicate with the ADAS software on the screen.
- Bluetooth does not recognize the mic in the screen. I could hear the caller, but they could not hear me. Had to get an external mic.
- The Apple CarPlay adapter does not recognize the external mic. I could hear the caller, but they could not hear me. Had to use Bluetooth
- The Apple CarPlay adapter and Bluetooth seem to step on each other. When you try to play a song in CarPlay, it plays for second then stops. Turning the Bluetooth on and off seems to fix it
- The factory system does not recognize the new tire sensors so I get a TPMS warning light on the dash.

Avin tech support has been offline for weeks and have not responded to my e-mails.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2019, 11:49 PM   #342
Kff1313
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i e93

Units are from China lots of lag, wiring harness are to Short sound is terrible
Company just sells cheap Chinese units.the only thing they make are boxes they
Ship them in. They responded fast if your buying but not at all if you have issues. Don't respond to return request.so I would not expect much as far as warranty goes.stuff is junk
Appreciate 1
PORTMOODY140.50
      01-11-2019, 03:40 PM   #343
Ginlaan
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92

Hotspot issue..

So I hooked up my hotspot with my iPhone 8 using same network as my Samsung galaxy 6 edge. Problem is iPhone I get great download speeds from the android unit which was purchased from 4x4shop it’s the 8.1 version. Samsung I get 75k to 100k at best. I don’t seem to have a problem with streaming songs or surfing web but if I try to download using the hotspot connected to the Samsung phone it just sucks. I have tried all the play store tricks of clearing cache and dat and so forth with play store and services. At a loss on how to correct this if I can even fix it. It’s only on the android phone to android unit I get this slowness. Any ideas on what I can check. Using the iPhone as a hotspot isn’t really a option since it’s a phone for work.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 04:58 PM   #344
PaKii94
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginlaan View Post
So I hooked up my hotspot with my iPhone 8 using same network as my Samsung galaxy 6 edge. Problem is iPhone I get great download speeds from the android unit which was purchased from 4x4shop it’s the 8.1 version. Samsung I get 75k to 100k at best. I don’t seem to have a problem with streaming songs or surfing web but if I try to download using the hotspot connected to the Samsung phone it just sucks. I have tried all the play store tricks of clearing cache and dat and so forth with play store and services. At a loss on how to correct this if I can even fix it. It’s only on the android phone to android unit I get this slowness. Any ideas on what I can check. Using the iPhone as a hotspot isn’t really a option since it’s a phone for work.

Could it be the plan you're on? Some plans dont allow full speeds for hotspots
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2019, 07:03 PM   #345
Ginlaan
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaKii94 View Post
Could it be the plan you're on? Some plans dont allow full speeds for hotspots
Both plans are t Mobil. My plan is not throttled at all any other device I use connected the Samsung hotspot works fine. Its got to be a setting I am just missing. Can you force a hotspot To be 2.5 ghz maybe the hotspot is sending at 5 ghz and the android unit is not compatible?
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2019, 03:38 PM   #346
madbim
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08' E90 335xi

Are these headunits still using aux for audio?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 01:09 PM   #347
falconey
Captain
Rep
Drives: 18 f80cs, 21 f97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussieatlarge View Post

Double click on the Cartype you want to select. you will get a message about updating and you should click yes. It is not intuitive at all, but I hope that helps.

Hoping someone can help me or give some suggestions. I keep receiving the SOS phone error and i'm not certain why. I assume it has something to with the fiber optic wire crimping, but I've installed and reinstalled and can't get the fix to stick. I will get the unit lined up and screwed (it's a tight fit). Test the unit and it will work, but if I let the car sit for an hour the error is bak and will only reset itself if I pull the unit out and either unhook/hook harness or unhook/hook up the back of the unit.

If it is the fiber optic wire slipping off the connection is there a tool out there that I can use to lock the wire in place?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 05:50 PM   #348
Alturiak
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 335i

I'm running an 8.1 Oreo unit (8.8" in my E92) and have had nothing but audio issues since the installation. Factory radio and music stored on the car's internal hard drive are super clear, but bluetooth, aux, and usb in all play with a bunch of static noise now which wasn't there prior to putting the unit in. The noise will even persist if unplugging the aux cord entirely. Has anyone had this issue with theirs? Is it possible something on the car happened to go bad at the same time like the MULF?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
2011 E92 M-Sport BSM, Built N55 with 9.5:1 compression and forged internals, VAC Stage 3 Ported Head, custom tuned by Twisted Tuning, PR Coils, Pure Stage 2, Fuel It! Phoenix Race PI Manifold, StopTech BBK 380mm front 345mm rear, BBS CH-R Titanium, Dinan exhaust w/black tips, BMS Intake, DCT shifter retrofit, VRSF 3.5" downpipe, VRSF 7" HD IC, CSL CF trunk, 335is Rear Diffusor, Alpina B3 Trans Flash
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 11:28 AM   #349
falconey
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconey View Post
Double click on the Cartype you want to select. you will get a message about updating and you should click yes. It is not intuitive at all, but I hope that helps.

Hoping someone can help me or give some suggestions. I keep receiving the SOS phone error and i'm not certain why. I assume it has something to with the fiber optic wire crimping, but I've installed and reinstalled and can't get the fix to stick. I will get the unit lined up and screwed (it's a tight fit). Test the unit and it will work, but if I let the car sit for an hour the error is bak and will only reset itself if I pull the unit out and either unhook/hook harness or unhook/hook up the back of the unit.

If it is the fiber optic wire slipping off the connection is there a tool out there that I can use to lock the wire in place?
I still have not solved my SOS problem and I don't think it's optic cable. I had the unit working for a day. Drove somewhere, came back and started the car and bam, SOS error CCID-229. Problem doesn't occur with factory unit hooked up. It's really not making sense to me, but I'm going to purchase Protool diagnostic set up and hopefully I can diagnose and code the problem out.

One very interesting note is that my unit plays music without the aux cable required. I was in the process of moving the AUX to a splitter and when I disconnected the cable to my surprise music was still playing through my speakers. My unit is from Navifly on aliexpress. Part of me wonders could this upgrade be apart of my issue.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 11:29 AM   #350
falconey
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alturiak View Post
I'm running an 8.1 Oreo unit (8.8" in my E92) and have had nothing but audio issues since the installation. Factory radio and music stored on the car's internal hard drive are super clear, but bluetooth, aux, and usb in all play with a bunch of static noise now which wasn't there prior to putting the unit in. The noise will even persist if unplugging the aux cord entirely. Has anyone had this issue with theirs? Is it possible something on the car happened to go bad at the same time like the MULF?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
On the surface it sounds like a grounding issue. Also could be a power or ground wire near audio components, picking up noise.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 10:27 PM   #351
Scott1283
E1 Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

I've read all 16 pages and am still not sure if this is worthwhile buying. Found that the Avin site has the E90 8.8 units for $339 with Android 4.4 or the PX6 2 core 8.1 oreo for $469. I currently have an '06 with Logic 7. Are there better units out there? Is this the same as the ones of Alliexpress rebranded? I'd rather pay more up front for a quality product, particularly sound quality. Thoughts?
https://avinusa.com/8-8-bmw-3-series...on-system.html
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 11:40 PM   #352
gamesfrager
Banned
Canada
Rep

I'm a 100% Android guy, and I'm afraid these units are just a regular Android hardware inside.
And if that's true; they will slow down and take forever to boot etc.
If you have a smartphone, then you know what I mean.

The specs are not the full story, 2GB of RAM or even 6 means not much if the RAM speed is low, or if it's a crappy quality chip, and the same goes for other components.

That's why I'm going the custom route (yea, I know....still not finished with the damn mount and frame )

Anyway, sorry for the rant. Best of luck.
Appreciate 0