E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > AVIN 8.8inch - who has this?

01-18-2019, 07:07 PM   #353
Mavverick
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussieatlarge View Post
Recently installed an 8.8 inch android (Avin type) unit into a ProNav 2007 E93, which I purchased from Aliexpress. It came configured for the wrong Idrive Type and the wrong screen resolution (messes up the original scheme). Fortunately, after too many hours wading through the internet I realized I can change both by going to Factory settings and using code 1314. Idrive fixed but....
when I attempt to change the car type tp E60 8.8 I get the error message "SD card or U drive did not find file CarType.xml. This seems a bit strange because I am guessing that the list of optional "cartypes" from which I had to choose, would have read from this file. So, I can create the xml file from info I got off the internet, place it on an sd card and then what? Am I wrong in assuming that I actually need to reflash the whole OS?
Any help, files, etc would be most appreciated. Once resolved I will open a thread that lists exactly what was done and include all files.

Aliexpress probably will not respond to me.....
Don’t click “update config” after selecting iDrive type. Double click the iDrive type and a pop up will appear. Click the check mark on the pop up.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2019, 10:22 PM   #354
bsmoov
Captain
Rep
Drives: e91 6 speed touring

I have the 10.25 inch unit and every time I turn on/boot the car up, it automatically turns on the “Music” app and plays the dumb ass Adele or Avril Levinge songs that are preloaded from the factory.

Shit is annoying to say the least. I even deleted those two songs (they are the only preloaded songs on there) and it still auto boots the “Music” app even though there are no songs in the folder.

Is there a way to bypass this? Can it just load the stock/home interface instead to auto directing into “Music?”
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2019, 08:34 PM   #355
bob.g
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 325xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmoov View Post
I have the 10.25 inch unit and every time I turn on/boot the car up, it automatically turns on the “Music” app and plays the dumb ass Adele or Avril Levinge songs that are preloaded from the factory.

Shit is annoying to say the least. I even deleted those two songs (they are the only preloaded songs on there) and it still auto boots the “Music” app even though there are no songs in the folder.

Is there a way to bypass this? Can it just load the stock/home interface instead to auto directing into “Music?”
earlier in the thread ppl mentioned the tasker app, that lets you kill/launch whatever you want on bootup. maybe that would work.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2019, 02:14 PM   #356
thomth
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 325i

anyone who knows a way to mount the avin 10.25 without cutting in the dash?
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2019, 11:33 AM   #357
Cactus_BMW
Private
Rep
Drives: '08 X5 3.0si

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmoov View Post
I have the 10.25 inch unit and every time I turn on/boot the car up, it automatically turns on the "Music" app and plays the dumb ass Adele or Avril Levinge songs that are preloaded from the factory.

Shit is annoying to say the least. I even deleted those two songs (they are the only preloaded songs on there) and it still auto boots the "Music" app even though there are no songs in the folder.

Is there a way to bypass this? Can it just load the stock/home interface instead to auto directing into "Music?"
I've done much research & posted many questions about this very topic.

The short answer is, to have the unit boot automatically to Android, it apparently needs to be launching one of a few core apps (I.e. Music, Videos). Without this occurring, upon powering up the car the unit will boot to BMW CCC/CIC side - you'd then have to long press the iDrive menu button to switch the display over to the Android side (where it would simply be waiting at the root menu screen, not having launched "Music"). I have not been able to find a workaround for this.

If/when you shut off car on BMW CCC/CIC side, it will then stop booting to Android side. You have to shut car off while in one of those core apps (i.e. Music) for 30+ seconds to reset the startup to pull it over to Android.

I installed my unit solely for adding Apple CarPlay functionality in my 08 X5. I do not use any of the Android apps or other functions.

What I've done:

- Installed "Startup Manager" to disable unwanted/unnecessary Android apps from launching at boot up. This is to minimize time it takes to get into CarPlay.
- Added "AutoPlay" (the Android CarPlay emulator app) to Startup Manager to launch automatically on boot up. It launches at the end of the Android startup process.

So my startup process is as follows:

1. Start car & plug in iPhone
2. Android screen turns on, with selected boot logo (BMW)
3. Android BMW menu appears
4. Music app launches
5. CarPlay app launches

It takes about 1 minute 15 seconds for me to be in CarPlay after starting the car - hands free (a personal requirement - don't want to mess with selecting/tapping/launching to get into CarPlay), with my iPhone plugged in. I previously had it in CarPlay in about 40 seconds, but in tweaking & testing to improve this something happened and things got worse.

The CarPlay app does have an option to auto launch when it detects an iPhone has been plugged in. And it detects the iPhone connection very quickly on startup - but actually too quickly. Unless you've plugged it in AFTER the Music app launches, the system will launch CarPlay and then seconds later launch Music, and stay there. Now you have to go out to the menu and launch Navigation (mapped to CarPlay) to get back to CarPlay. Frustrating.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2019, 10:12 PM   #358
Lanfe1n
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328xi

Garage List
2007 328xi  [0.00]
Okay, I have read through all 17 pages and I have one question that has been vaguely addressed. I mainly want to use this for gps. Nothing else really, I like the way this looks but I don’t want to plug it in to the aux port under the arm rest. Do I need to have that connected for this to work? Or can I run everything else and just connect my phone to the car through the aux port.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2019, 11:42 PM   #359
Supermoon
Lieutenant
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 335xi

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanfe1n View Post
Okay, I have read through all 17 pages and I have one question that has been vaguely addressed. I mainly want to use this for gps. Nothing else really, I like the way this looks but I don’t want to plug it in to the aux port under the arm rest. Do I need to have that connected for this to work? Or can I run everything else and just connect my phone to the car through the aux port.
It will work without sound.
You'll need a GPS extension cable if you want to use stock GPS antenna.
The kit comes with an external GPS antenna but stock one gets better reception because it's position at the ideal location.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/GPS-extensi...-/232676439906
Pure Stage 1 | DV+ & Inlet | Injen Intake | M3 Cowl | ETS 5" FMIC & CP | Aquamist HFS4 Direct Port | CSF Radiator | Wagner Catted DP | BMW PE | Apex FL-5 | Michelin PS4S | 335is Engine mount | SDW Monoball thrust arms | UUC Swaybars & SS Brake lines | Bilstein B8 | Dinan Springs & Shock mounts | Whiteline RSFB | M3 Rear Control arms | Manzo Toe arms | Wavetrac LSD
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2019, 01:17 PM   #360
Leadt-98
Registered
Rep
Drives: Audi allroad

’ve read all 17 pages and I’m still a little unclear on some things.

I mostly listen to the local sports station, and I like to commute with waze. It sounds like I can’t do that easily with this. There is no way to get an FM tuner on the android side? So what happens if I’m listening to the radio in idrive, but want to use waze to navigate? Am I out of luck, or will the radio stay on while I switch to android? And if so, can I still scroll through radio station presets with the steering wheel controls?

Then there’s this aux business. I see that the avin unit taps into the aux input, so all audio goes through that into the factory amp? What if I want my own new speakers and amp, is that just a nightmare with idrive equipped cars?

Microphone. Can I not connect the factory microphone to this unit? I’m assuming if I did, then voice controls/Bluetooth calls would not work on the idrive side. Can it be split to work with both?
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 02:27 PM   #361
JonEQuest
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Convertible 2007 335

I have been reading and honestly still cant figure out exactly how this system would work in my 2008 E93 with CCC iDrive. It looks cool and I want BT audio but I have read that the audio quality is bad. Is this true and if so can I get a MOST adapter and wire it in that way somehow?
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2019, 04:51 AM   #362
N5ifty4our
Rep
Drives: 09 BMW 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEQuest View Post
I have been reading and honestly still cant figure out exactly how this system would work in my 2008 E93 with CCC iDrive. It looks cool and I want BT audio but I have read that the audio quality is bad. Is this true and if so can I get a MOST adapter and wire it in that way somehow?
Avin sucks dude. I bought the screen and am having issues. I've emailed them 10 times and they won't respond. They don't care to help. I wouldn't recommend it. BT quality and carplay adapter quality is super shitty. The only way music sounds good is if you connect display to phone hot spot and use Spotify from the screen. The best BT solution for us e90s is a $5.99 USB BT adapter from Amazon that connects under arm rest https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...19f5a2976f8f53
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2019, 04:52 AM   #363
N5ifty4our
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by N5ifty4our View Post
Quote:
Avin sucks dude. I bought the screen and am having issues. I've emailed them 10 times and they won't respond. They don't care to help. I wouldn't recommend it. BT quality and carplay adapter quality is super shitty. The only way music sounds good is if you connect display to phone hot spot and use Spotify from the screen. The best BT solution for us e90s is a $5.99 USB BT adapter from Amazon that connects under arm rest https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...19f5a2976f8f53
The sound quality is really good. Car better than the Avin unit and carplay
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2019, 07:12 AM   #364
bob.g
Captain
Rep

im still confused about the sound quality complaints. Whenever i connect my phone to my car via the aux cable to listen to music i never thought the sound was bad (although i do remember ppl saying aux quality is worse in general). So are the quality complaints coming from simply having to use aux, or does the avin make whats coming through the aux even worse then how it normally sounds?
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2019, 07:50 AM   #365
JonEQuest
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob.g View Post
im still confused about the sound quality complaints. Whenever i connect my phone to my car via the aux cable to listen to music i never thought the sound was bad (although i do remember ppl saying aux quality is worse in general). So are the quality complaints coming from simply having to use aux, or does the avin make whats coming through the aux even worse then how it normally sounds?
That is what I am wondering too. So your phone connected directly to Bluetooth is BETTER than these Android units connected to the same aux? I saw the Vehicular DIY install and he said the audio was missing the lower bass frequencies. If so that sucks because it means the audio processor in these units is degrading what comes out.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2019, 07:52 AM   #366
JonEQuest
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
That is what I am wondering too. So your phone connected directly to Bluetooth is BETTER than these Android units connected to the same aux? I saw the Vehicular DIY install and he said the audio was missing the lower bass frequencies. If so that sucks because it means the audio processor in these units is degrading what comes out.
I am starting to wonder if a good BT connector that has auto power on is best for audio, then just get a dedicated tablet for JB4, Torgue, videos, etc.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2019, 12:10 AM   #367
N5ifty4our
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I'll try and clear up your confusion on the sound quality issues. The e90 auxiliary port sounds great when your phone is plugged into it. As well as the BT dongle I posted above for $5.99. I used both. There was no difference in sound quality when my phone was connected to the aux port vs the USB BT dongle. The quality from either source is the same and sounds perfect.

To get sound from the Avin display, you have to connect it to the Aux port under the arm rest. You would think the sound quality would be the same, since it works perfectly when your phone is plugged into it. However, this is not the case. If you're using the BT connected to the Avin display, the sound is not the same. It definitely "makes it worse and degrades it" not sure why. Way worse sound quality if you pay $99 for their carplay adapter and listen to music from there also. Which I did and definitely regret and do not recommend. If you have music stored on the Avin unit itself or have the Spotify app and use it from the display, then the quality sounds alot better like you would expect it to. No idea why the 4 sources can't all sound equal??? Best option would be to stream music through the USB dongle and just use the display for the other features. I've had the Avin unit installed in my car for a few months now. The best feature for me, is the backup camera. Very useful when parallel parking. Also YouTube (only works in 480p won't do 720p or 1080p. Very frustrating)

If you're wanting the display, get it from 4x4shop.ca they're better quality and they have better customer support by far. And maybe they have the audio figured out?
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2019, 08:17 AM   #368
JonEQuest
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I'll try and clear up your confusion on the sound quality issues. The e90 auxiliary port sounds great when your phone is plugged into it. As well as the BT dongle I posted above for $5.99. I used both. There was no difference in sound quality when my phone was connected to the aux port vs the USB BT dongle. The quality from either source is the same and sounds perfect.

To get sound from the Avin display, you have to connect it to the Aux port under the arm rest. You would think the sound quality would be the same, since it works perfectly when your phone is plugged into it. However, this is not the case. If you're using the BT connected to the Avin display, the sound is not the same. It definitely "makes it worse and degrades it" not sure why. Way worse sound quality if you pay $99 for their carplay adapter and listen to music from there also. Which I did and definitely regret and do not recommend. If you have music stored on the Avin unit itself or have the Spotify app and use it from the display, then the quality sounds alot better like you would expect it to. No idea why the 4 sources can't all sound equal??? Best option would be to stream music through the USB dongle and just use the display for the other features. I've had the Avin unit installed in my car for a few months now. The best feature for me, is the backup camera. Very useful when parallel parking. Also YouTube (only works in 480p won't do 720p or 1080p. Very frustrating)

If you're wanting the display, get it from 4x4shop.ca they're better quality and they have better customer support by far. And maybe they have the audio figured out?
OK thanks. I just got a $15 Bluetooth adapter from Amazon and added that with a phone mount yesterday. It sounds good but it would be nice to have a more modern immersive system to kind of replace the old CCC system. I used to have an Android Chinese stereo with a 7" dockable tablet display on it. It was far from perfect but sounded great and did anything an Android tablet could. I don't see what is so hard about putting a decent audio chip in these things. I am also considering getting a CIC system and retrofitting that. But of course, even some modern BMW cars still can't do BT audio so that adds another complication. Plus it won't do anything cool like JB4 on screen YouTube, etc.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2019, 04:54 PM   #369
bob.g
Captain
Rep

Quote:

ok, i may just load up an sd card and listen off that then. Aside audio, i just need a reverse camera, maybe a forward camera to record, and gps via some offline gps app like iGO. So hows the gps signal, and do you have any experience with a forward facing camera to use as a dash cam? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2019, 09:17 AM   #370
techlogik
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i Dravit Grey

So it's an Android OS with Apple carplay...and no android auto? Well done...rofl.

Can it at least download/run and use GPS for WAZE and other apps like iHeart? Or no?

Last edited by techlogik; 04-03-2019 at 09:24 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2019, 02:55 PM   #371
JonEQuest
Captain
Rep

Man, it sounds like it is far from ready for prime time. I mean the highlights to me are:
1) Cost a good amount and you need to buy parts to interface it in an odd way.
2) Sound is worse than stock and will vary from each source.
3) Can't do all the things a normal Android tablet or Android stereo from eBay can like Android Auto, output good audio and run things like YouTube in 1080p, etc.

I may just keep my phone mount and Bluetooth adapter.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2019, 02:57 PM   #372
JonEQuest
Captain
Rep

Man, it sounds like it is far from ready for prime time. I mean the highlights to me are:
1) Cost a good amount and you need to buy parts to interface it in an odd way.
2) Sound is worse than stock and will vary from each source.
3) Can't do all the things a normal Android tablet or Android stereo from eBay can like Android Auto, output good audio and run things like YouTube in 1080p, etc.

I may just keep my phone mount and Bluetooth adapter.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2019, 09:28 PM   #373
Jagtem
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i / 2004 F150 /2009 R1

Quote:

You can send your CCC to these guys: http://www.bmwlogicseven.com/

I had them repair my broken CCC and install a bluetooth module for streaming. Works great!
Appreciate 1
lab_rat394.50
      04-05-2019, 12:25 AM   #374
krispykreme
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 328i

I am trying to install the unit for my daughter car.

I have several issues that I can’t resolve.

The car is 2011 328i with CIC

1. For the back up camera- where can I tap the reverse signal/wire close to the dash?

2. I ordered both front camera and TV. The Avin website says that the front camera goes to the Video in. Then where do the ATSC video input go then?
Appreciate 0