E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > Issues with boost leak test

05-30-2019, 08:43 AM   #1
Bullcitybmmer
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i e92 msport

Issues with boost leak test

Question for those of you who have successfully performed a boost leak test with something like the turbo boost tester kit (LINK)- What the hell do you do to keep the inlet from popping out?

I'm pretty sure that I have a boost leak somewhere after recently installing a new intercooler, but I can't get this thing to pressurize past 5 psi without blowing the turbo inlet out. I was thinking of wedging something in there to hold the inlet in place, but thought I'd poll the audience first to make sure I wasn't doing something dumb or missing a huge detail somewhere.

Thanks in advance for any advice.... simple things can really humble you sometimes
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2019, 11:47 AM   #2
DiFFv1
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i l 328xi l X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullcitybmmer View Post
Question for those of you who have successfully performed a boost leak test with something like the turbo boost tester kit (LINK)- What the hell do you do to keep the inlet from popping out?

I'm pretty sure that I have a boost leak somewhere after recently installing a new intercooler, but I can't get this thing to pressurize past 5 psi without blowing the turbo inlet out. I was thinking of wedging something in there to hold the inlet in place, but thought I'd poll the audience first to make sure I wasn't doing something dumb or missing a huge detail somewhere.

Thanks in advance for any advice.... simple things can really humble you sometimes
You on a stock inlet or aftermarket? Also, is the bolt that holds the inlet in securely ?
      05-30-2019, 11:52 AM   #3
Bullcitybmmer
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiFFv1 View Post
You on a stock inlet or aftermarket? Also, is the bolt that holds the inlet in securely ?
Well, I've tried it with both the stock inlet as well as the VRSF inlet. VRSF pops out enough to break the seal even when bolted in place, and the stock inlet actually shot off with enough force to rip out the screw from the bushing. Fun stuff. I bought a new stock inlet because I'm not the biggest fan of the VRSF one, but I'm a little bit apprehensive to pump up the new one and potentially break it again.
Appreciate 1
DiFFv189.50
      05-30-2019, 12:43 PM   #4
DiFFv1
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Well, I've tried it with both the stock inlet as well as the VRSF inlet. VRSF pops out enough to break the seal even when bolted in place, and the stock inlet actually shot off with enough force to rip out the screw from the bushing. Fun stuff. I bought a new stock inlet because I'm not the biggest fan of the VRSF one, but I'm a little bit apprehensive to pump up the new one and potentially break it again.
+1 on the VRSF inlet. under enough boost it will come out a little under pressure even with the o-rings replaced twice. ive even tried different sets of o-rings and shave them down to get a better fitment..No luck. Also the stock plastic inlet bolt section is super weak and will break causing you to have nothing holding it in place

Asfar as your issue i dont know what to say honestly because if you put something to hold the inlet in place thats not an accurate reading to tell. Hell, that could be your boost leak! Hopefully someone can help
      05-30-2019, 01:01 PM   #5
philgli
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E92 Msport

whoa, what? It pops off at 5psi? how is that possible?

Are you removing the intake tract and attaching to the top of the inlet itself? or are you attaching halfway up the intake tract?
      05-30-2019, 01:01 PM   #6
Turbod
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 E84 X1 35i M Sport

When I tested using a similar tester I had the pure inlet installed. I had no issues with it backing out. To amend what DiFFv1 said the inlet is not where your boost leak is because it is pre turbo, therefore no boost. If I was having the same issue you are facing I would find something to try and hold the inlet on. It should be a good sign however that you're able to build up enough pressure to pop the inlet off rather than hear it leak somewhere else.

Remember to remove your oil cap during testing.
2020 F97 X3M | 11.0@123
2023 G80 M3 xDrive
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2019, 04:26 PM   #7
Bullcitybmmer
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbod View Post
When I tested using a similar tester I had the pure inlet installed. I had no issues with it backing out. To amend what DiFFv1 said the inlet is not where your boost leak is because it is pre turbo, therefore no boost. If I was having the same issue you are facing I would find something to try and hold the inlet on. It should be a good sign however that you're able to build up enough pressure to pop the inlet off rather than hear it leak somewhere else.

Alright, that's the vote of confidence I was looking for.... Sounds like I maybe just need an extra set of hands to hold that inlet in place. And I agree, it's likely a good sign.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2019, 05:39 PM   #8
IllSic_Design
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 335i

Quote:

Yes exactly, inlets are pre-turbo so you wouldn't have a boost leak there. You need to find a way to hold the inlets on, although I would think the hose clamp on the VSRF inlets would easily keep the inlet secured to the turbo unless you were trying to push 25+ psi into the inlet.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2019, 06:02 PM   #9
DiFFv1
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllSic_Design View Post
Quote:

Yes exactly, inlets are pre-turbo so you wouldn't have a boost leak there. You need to find a way to hold the inlets on, although I would think the hose clamp on the VSRF inlets would easily keep the inlet secured to the turbo unless you were trying to push 25+ psi into the inlet.
Which makes sense in my case. I need to find a thicker o-ring maybe
      06-14-2019, 12:24 PM   #10
JPuehl
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i N55 DCT

Quote:
Can I assume you got your leak issue figured out? I'm going to be testing the same thing myself. I have a VRSF inlet and don't see how it could possibly "pop out". There's a tab on it that bolts to the engine that holds it in place. Do you have it bolted down? Or even with it bolted down it pops off? I'm asking because as I mentioned I'm going to be doing the same thing.

1Mpostr
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2019, 09:12 AM   #11
Bullcitybmmer
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPuehl View Post
Can I assume you got your leak issue figured out? I'm going to be testing the same thing myself. I have a VRSF inlet and don't see how it could possibly "pop out". There's a tab on it that bolts to the engine that holds it in place. Do you have it bolted down? Or even with it bolted down it pops off? I'm asking because as I mentioned I'm going to be doing the same thing.
Still working on it, but I found out the oring on my TMAP sensor was busted, so it was leaking there.

My VRSF inlet has never fit very well for whatever reason. I know I bought it right when it came out, so maybe I got one from an early batch that wasn't 100% cleaned up or something, but it wound up kind of pivoting on that bolt and popping loose enough to break the seal. It didn't come all the way out, but enough to spring a leak of its own right at the turbo. Really annoying.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2019, 02:22 PM   #12
IllSic_Design
Colonel
United_States
Rep

I'm confused with this tab you guys say there is on VSRF inlets. I have VSRF stock loc inlets and there is no tab, the inlets are held on with a clamp, same as shown here:
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2019, 02:46 PM   #13
Turbod
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 E84 X1 35i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllSic_Design View Post
I'm confused with this tab you guys say there is on VSRF inlets. I have VSRF stock loc inlets and there is no tab, the inlets are held on with a clamp, same as shown here:
You have a N54, this is the N55 section.
2020 F97 X3M | 11.0@123
2023 G80 M3 xDrive
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2019, 02:52 PM   #14
IllSic_Design
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You have a N54, this is the N55 section.
Whoops, sometimes forget to look at the header of the section I'm in. Sorry.
Appreciate 0