E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > DPF Delete

01-05-2014, 06:38 PM   #287
dixy2k
Major
Rep
Drives: 335d

Is that long and curved hose the replacement for the EGR cooler
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2014, 07:07 PM   #288
TDIwyse
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixy2k View Post
Is that long and curved hose the replacement for the EGR cooler
Yes.

By cutting off the female "ends" of the existing special hose pieces that once attached to the EGR cooler male fittings, you can use a 7/16" I.D. coolant hose to replace the EGR cooler "coolant" passage. The connection from the block to the bottom part of the EGR cooler is TIGHT to clear the belt. You'll understand why that OEM hose is rigid if you get to this point...

You might also be able to just cap the ends and avoid the bypass. I didn't try that. Just letting the coolant flow thru at this point.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2014, 08:14 PM   #289
GadgetBMW
Torque........I'm Loving it!
Rep
Drives: 335d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_cuda View Post
As an aside, i wonder which other states also only have safety inspection for diesels. Mark tells us PA. I also offer my home state TX. I thought i recalled TDI saying Iowa also wasn't emission testing diesels.
Running list, PA, TX, IA
No emission inspection of gas or diesel vehicles in Michigan
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2014, 09:15 AM   #290
Mark M
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30M3 E83X3 E90335D

TDI,

I've been reading numerous internet resources with great interest with the notion of how to delete EGR so as to prevent this nasty coked up clogged intake on our 335d.

In my readings, I've stumbled upon something that makes me raise concern. Articles talked that the two primary ways to control Nox on diesel engines are EGR or retarding ignition through injector timing. Based on the readings I've found on VW and GM diesel forums, if the computer detects lack of EGR function, it may then begin to retard the ignition as a backup way to control Nox emissions. However, by retarding ignition, the car then becomes down on power and fuel efficiency.

I have to wonder, given that we do have at least two Nox sensors on this car, I worry that blocking off EGR could result in diminished power once the computer catches it and tries to then bring Nox levels into check.

Several VW forums indicate with an EGR delete they've lost a couple mpg which is counter intuitive to what you would expect.

Have you noticed any change in power / mpg as a result of your mods?
      01-06-2014, 12:02 PM   #291
TDIwyse
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark M View Post
TDI,

I've been reading numerous internet resources with great interest with the notion of how to delete EGR so as to prevent this nasty coked up clogged intake on our 335d.

In my readings, I've stumbled upon something that makes me raise concern. Articles talked that the two primary ways to control Nox on diesel engines are EGR or retarding ignition through injector timing. Based on the readings I've found on VW and GM diesel forums, if the computer detects lack of EGR function, it may then begin to retard the ignition as a backup way to control Nox emissions. However, by retarding ignition, the car then becomes down on power and fuel efficiency.

I have to wonder, given that we do have at least two Nox sensors on this car, I worry that blocking off EGR could result in diminished power once the computer catches it and tries to then bring Nox levels into check.

Several VW forums indicate with an EGR delete they've lost a couple mpg which is counter intuitive to what you would expect.

Hey Mark. The mpg's and power have been addressed earlier in this thread. In short, better mpg's and no quantifiable impact to peak power (EGR goes to 0 in full fueling anyway).

MPG specifically addressed in this thread in these posts:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=118

(See link to bimmerfest post showing back to back drives with and without EGR utilization. Looking at the specific rail pressure, injector opening times, EGT's, boosts... it's obvious the engine is more thermally efficient and using less fuel).

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=125
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=138
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=141

The warm up time is a bit longer without the EGR utilization, but the use of post injection (normal behavior even with stock vehicle) helps warm things up even without EGR.

Power addressed also, one point is here:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=154
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2014, 03:01 PM   #292
Hoooper
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335D

Quote:
TDI,

under full power the EGR is closed anyway so it shouldnt result in any power lost there. If youre losing power in any other condition I dont really see that as mattering since you are limiting the power anyway.

As far as losing MPG, for me the jury is still out. I am not really convinced one way or the other just yet based on my results. For the VWs though they found that if you make shorter trips, the extra fueling for warm up outweighed the benefit of no EGR on longer trips. So if you arent driving long'ish distances on your typical drive you would likely lose mileage. For my results I think I might be pretty much right on the edge, though I would gladly take the small mileage hit that it possibly would give in order to not contribute to the buildup process
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2014, 03:23 PM   #293
Mark M
Major
United_States
Rep

Thank you Hooper and TDI.

Reason I have been researching and asking so many questions is because I want to insure I understand exactly what all is happening to the car and DDE parameters from such a change. Hooper and TDI, you make a good point about the need for more post-injection to warm up the engine in the absence of EGR to assist. For me, my average daily round trip commute is 75 miles.

Playing devils advocate, what could one expect if the kept EGR operational, but vented the CCV to atmosphere? Seems like the cocktail of oil and EGR creates the diabolical soot crap right? Without oil vapor vented into the intake the dry exhaust would no longer have anything to stick to?

As for my car, with the crap weather we've been having it has been sitting in the garage. I have only put about 90 miles on it since DDE replacement and full de-carbonization tear down / rebuild at the dealer.
      01-06-2014, 04:44 PM   #294
dixy2k
Major
Rep
Drives: 335d

Quote:

Playing devils advocate, what could one expect if the kept EGR operational, but vented the CCV to atmosphere? Seems like the cocktail of oil and EGR creates the diabolical soot crap right? Without oil vapor vented into the intake the dry exhaust would no longer have anything to stick to?
This would the ideal set up. I am sure there will be a lot of people objecting to such mod, air pollution etc.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2014, 04:48 PM   #295
TDIwyse
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Thank you Hooper and TDI.

Reason I have been researching and asking so many questions is because I want to insure I understand exactly what all is happening to the car and DDE parameters from such a change.
Excellent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark M
Hooper and TDI, you make a good point about the need for more post-injection to warm up the engine in the absence of EGR to assist. For me, my average daily round trip commute is 75 miles.
That's a lot of miles! You could easily try a couple experiments to see for yourself. Hooper's approach to the EGR block on the intake would be fairly easy to duplicate and be easy to revert back to stock. Or you could do the diode mod on the EGR cooler temp sensor to get a substantially lower EGR utilization, and that is even easier to revert back to stock. However, both of these will trigger pending and then full codes if you don't have a way to clear them.

Quote:
I believe you are correct on the importance of the combination. If you want to experiment with the CCV I'd love to hear what you learn. With the extremely cold weather we get here (-22F this morning with a high of -10F today) I've been concerned with modifying the CCV system due to risks of freezing and causing problems. My truck came from the factory with a CCV vent directly to atmosphere. It smells, especially the first few weeks after an oil change.

Quote:
As for my car, with the crap weather we've been having it has been sitting in the garage. I have only put about 90 miles on it since DDE replacement and full de-carbonization tear down / rebuild at the dealer.
Weather sucks here too. I wish those Canadians would keep their cold weather to themselves. All the schools were canceled today due to the cold, and they're cancelled for tomorrow as well.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 01:26 PM   #296
hivolts
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d

CCV Option

I'm new to the 335d. Just sold my 99.5 Jetta. I remember learning that the TDI guys were venting the CCV through a filter and into a catch bottle...this was a homemade apparatus. This is a great thread...thanks for all the knowledge and info. I'm ready to cut and remove my DPF for sure...just have the turbo concern that was mentioned.

At what point can we remove the DEF system or stop using the DEF fluid? Or is this something totally different from the DPF?
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 02:17 PM   #297
Mark M
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hivolts View Post
I'm new to the 335d. Just sold my 99.5 Jetta. I remember learning that the TDI guys were venting the CCV through a filter and into a catch bottle...this was a homemade apparatus. This is a great thread...thanks for all the knowledge and info. I'm ready to cut and remove my DPF for sure...just have the turbo concern that was mentioned.

At what point can we remove the DEF system or stop using the DEF fluid? Or is this something totally different from the DPF?
Welcome Hivolts, what part of PA are ya in? Lancaster area here.

DPF removal, only option right now is MegaSpeed out of Canada:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=657415

Another user on here opened up the canister and removed the DPF himself and worked with a tuner to code it out. Supposedly Ecotune out of Scotland is working on a DPF delete kit, but nothing has been released yet.

Given that the DEF system was USA only on the E90 BMW, I haven't heard of any tuners yet successfully coding it out. Most tuners for the 335d draw on their existing experience with the European 335d and 330d then tweak it for our US car.
      01-07-2014, 02:28 PM   #298
Hoooper
Colonel
Rep

TDI did you get the DEF delete done? If not im curious to see what results you have on DEF life. I dont want to speak too soon, but I last filled my DEF over 14k miles ago and no 1k mile warning yet. Having said that it will probably come on later today but I find it interesting that it isnt using DEF faster now that the EGR is not working. Possibly its because 80% of my miles are low load freeway miles.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 02:53 PM   #299
TDIwyse
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoooper View Post
TDI did you get the DEF delete done? If not im curious to see what results you have on DEF life. I dont want to speak too soon, but I last filled my DEF over 14k miles ago and no 1k mile warning yet. Having said that it will probably come on later today but I find it interesting that it isnt using DEF faster now that the EGR is not working. Possibly its because 80% of my miles are low load freeway miles.
Yes, Ecotune can do the DPF and DEF. All the data in this thread contributed by me is based on Ecotune's mapping.

The car has had the DEF drained for over a month so far without seeing any issues.

I was a little concerned about the SCR plugging up, and have been monitoring that. No issues yet. It appears to be a high flow straight thru arrangement, similar to the Diesel Oxidative Catalyst that is also still in place. Am considering gutting it at some point, but haven't seen the need. If I find a cheap SCR on eBay I'll likely get it to play with.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 04:17 PM   #300
Hoooper
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDIwyse View Post
Yes, Ecotune can do the DPF and DEF. All the data in this thread contributed by me is based on Ecotune's mapping.

The car has had the DEF drained for over a month so far without seeing any issues.
ok, so I guess ill have to rely on my own results to see what, if any, difference is being made in DEF usage

Quote:
I was a little concerned about the SCR plugging up, and have been monitoring that. No issues yet. It appears to be a high flow straight thru arrangement, similar to the Diesel Oxidative Catalyst that is also still in place. Am considering gutting it at some point, but haven't seen the need. If I find a cheap SCR on eBay I'll likely get it to play with.
it should be fairly easy to get a straight pipe made for the SCR no? Personally when it comes to expensive items like the SCR I prefer to replace with a straight pipe instead of hollowing out in case I need to put it back in at some point
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 04:40 PM   #301
TDIwyse
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
it should be fairly easy to get a straight pipe made for the SCR no? Personally when it comes to expensive items like the SCR I prefer to replace with a straight pipe instead of hollowing out in case I need to put it back in at some point
The potential issue with pulling the SCR is the exhaust cross section is a very flat oval, and not round. I was originally going to straight pipe it, but it wasn't obvious to me how to go about it, and with the concern over backpressure and boost overshoot, decided to leave it in until I'd gathered data on how things were working.

Anyone know of adapters/pipes/etc. that would work for replacing the SCR with exhaust of the same cross section as the OEM pipe?
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 04:44 PM   #302
TDIwyse
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
The potential issue with pulling the SCR is the exhaust cross section is a very flat oval, and not round.
You can kinda see the oval shape of things here:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...15&hg=18&fg=10
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2014, 12:17 AM   #303
Hoooper
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
You can kinda see the oval shape of things here:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...15&hg=18&fg=10
Yeah, I've see it I. Just thinking its cheaper to have a pipe made than buying a new one if you find out you need it some time in the future. Seems like an exhaust shop capable of welding stainless ought to be able to bend and weld a part. Likely quite a bit more pricey than if it was just a round pipe with flanges though.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2014, 07:01 AM   #304
Puerto Rican 335d
Brigadier General
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: Montego Blue 335d

TDi any word on the downpipe as of yet
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2014, 07:58 AM   #305
TDIwyse
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puerto Rican 335d View Post
TDi any word on the downpipe as of yet
Last I heard was "in January". You might want to contact Redline or Ecotune for better info on that item.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2014, 08:00 AM   #306
TDIwyse
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, I've see it I. Just thinking its cheaper to have a pipe made than buying a new one if you find out you need it some time in the future. Seems like an exhaust shop capable of welding stainless ought to be able to bend and weld a part. Likely quite a bit more pricey than if it was just a round pipe with flanges though.
Agreed. Just haven't had the bandwidth to push on that yet.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2014, 08:33 AM   #307
Puerto Rican 335d
Brigadier General
Puerto Rico
Rep

I sent them an email inquiring for launch date and price
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2014, 09:21 AM   #308
Puerto Rican 335d
Brigadier General
Puerto Rico
Rep

ok amigos my mechanic came across this in ebay and of course I went into investigative mode, i contacted the such company thru Facebook here's my conversation thru them:

Options

Axel Hernandez Del RioPerformance GT

December 31, 2013 at 9:43am · ..

No par le vou francais, I need help here I went into ebay and saw that you guys are seeling a BMW I6 Diesel Down pipe and we would like to know if you are the same company in ebay. We have US version of DPF and you promote the DPF pipe that supposedly mught fit ours system where di you get the measurements on thsi did anyone send you our version of DPF and you made or what ? Gracias

Like · .

Performance GT Hello sir, sorry for my late replay. Unfortunately we're not the same company on Ebay.

13 minutes ago · Like..

Axel Hernandez Del Rio oh damn that sucks someone impersonating you guys I will post this on our forum Gracias my friend

12 minutes ago · Like..

Performance GT Effectively that sucks. Do you a link to send me ? I want to check it.

5 minutes ago · Like..

Axel Hernandez Del Rio send me your email and i will send you a pic of the site . i dont have the link since I took a picture of it thru my cell.

about a minute ago · Like
Appreciate 0