E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Roof Rack Base System Replacement Screw

07-13-2010, 09:34 PM   #1
aucobalt
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i

Roof Rack Base System Replacement Screw

I have a 2007 328i and have been using the BMW accessory base system roof rack and bike carrier for over 2 years now.
The last time I installed the base system for a trip, one of the keyed Torx head screws stripped. I used the 8Nm torque wrench included with the system, and the torque driver's head is not stripped.. but I'm afraid I won't be able to torque down the rack next time I install it.

I called my BMW dealer and they pulled up the drawing for the base system. Apparently the torque driver is called out on the drawing, but not the screws. So they said they couldn't order a new one.

I thought about calling Thule directly, but haven't gotten around to it yet. Any ideas on where to get a replacement?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2011, 05:16 PM   #2
babybeast3
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 328xi; '04 wrx; '08 z06

OK, this is an issue. I have called my dealer, ThuleNA and BMWNA and neither had any replacement screws for the E90 base rack. I have used mine twice, torquing to spec with the supplied wrench, and two of the four heads are becoming stripped.. They are security torx M6x20 on my unit, some older ones are M6x16 and would be too short. I do not know the "class" i.e. the metric grade.

My dealer said buy a new kit ($200)... Give me a break...

I did find these: Fastenal #1139913 class 10.9. But Fastenal states on the web site they are for light duty. Yet Class 10.9 is close to SAE grade 8 so go figure. They are also hex (4mm?) drive not security torx. But a T25 fits it.

I bought some for use in an emergency on a trip. Hope this helps. If anyone can find out the specs of the stock screws, then that would be helpful..

PS, only class 12.9 is higher than 10.9 per my web searching. And as they screws are doing a pretty important job, I don't actually recommend anyone use them to prevent catastrophe...

Last edited by babybeast3; 01-15-2011 at 11:03 PM.. Reason: more info
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2011, 09:10 PM   #3
babybeast3
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 328xi; '04 wrx; '08 z06

OK, the above was desperation, here's a better option:

go to Menards and go to the bolts and screws drawers and get part #81672 "handi-Pack" metric socket head cap screw 6mm x 20mm. It says 12.9 on the head which is the highest strength class screw. It is a 5mm hex head I believe, and the roof rack torque wrench security torx fits it perfectly... You lose the security feature of the security torx, but don't need to buy a new rack!

Again, I'm not sure if this screw can take the punishment of this application and I cannot really recommend you do this. .
Appreciate 0