E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Nonsensical laws

10-19-2018, 07:11 AM   #23
wrickem
Big Beaver Smile
Rep
Drives: What he wants to

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnerDriver View Post
In some provinces in Canada it's unlawful for 3 people to walk abreast. 2 is ok. Most people are unaware of this law lol
I love this law! If NYC had this law I wouldn't need my GD cattle prod when I'm trying to walk to the somewhere quickly.
________4158.50
      10-19-2018, 07:41 AM   #24
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

I found that the metallic squeal that (semi)racing brake pads produce has a nice pedestrian-clearing effect, since it is hard to get a prod long enough to use while driving (probably illegal in my state too, now that I think about it)
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2018, 08:01 AM   #25
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea-Tac View Post
The old blue laws from the 1700's originated by the pilgrims in Connecticut. It was on the state books till 1959 forbidding the sale of hammers on Sundays, (but you could buy nails because there wasn't a law against it) because Sunday was the holy day, and working was forbidden. Lots of alcohol prohibition laws on Sundays too. You couldn't buy alcohol during the morning while church services were taking place. Come 1PM in the afternoon you could then buy all alcohol you wanted and I'm sure some of the church goers were shit faced by 2PM that law was never enforced after 1955. In Utah there was a strange law saying you could marry your cousin only if your were 65 or older. Crazy stuff!
We had those laws (no liquor sales on Sundays/Holidays or after 8pm) until just a few years ago. The Sunday ban went away in like 2012 when they also extended sales to 9pm. In 2015 they bumped it to 10pm, though most stores still close at 9.

What I always thought was ironic is that there is no open container law in CT. So long as I'm driving the car and remain sober, the rest of the passengers in my car can be swigging Four Locos like it's going out of style. Apparently only five states have similar laws.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 1
Sea-Tac1453.00
      10-19-2018, 08:11 AM   #26
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

Here are a few bastard laws from TN. Pretty sure we have you all beat.

- Students may not hold hands while in school.
- It's illegal in the state of TN to share your Netflix password.
- Stealing a horse is punishable by hanging.
- It is illegal to shoot any game from a vehicle other than a whale.
- It is illegal to have more than 8 women live in the same household due to a brothel law.
- It is illegal to catch a fish with a lasso.
- Interracial marriages are illegal - although I know many who are legally married???

AND get ready for this....

- GIVING AND RECEIVING ORAL SEX IS A CRIME.
Appreciate 2
________4158.50
ItsGary1457.50
      10-19-2018, 08:30 AM   #27
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep
Drives: Back and Forth To Work

Garage List
I live in Tennessee, which is a pretty libertarian state, however we do still have some crazy ones.

Here are a couple:

1) Tennessee Code Annotated, Section 39-11-106(a): It is a crime to share your Netflix password in Tennessee.
Link: http://www.capitol.tn.gov/Bills/107/Bill/HB1783.pdf

2) Constitution of the State of Tennessee Article IX Disqualifications: Any person who participates in a duel may not hold any public office in the state.

Full law: Sec. 3. Duelists shall hold no office. Any person who shall, after the adoption of this Constitution, fight a duel, or knowingly be the bearer of a challenge to fight a duel, or send or accept a challenge for that purpose, or be an aider or abettor in fighting a duel, shall be deprived of the right to hold any office of honor or profit in this State, and shall be punished otherwise, in such manner as the Legislature may prescribe.

3) 70-4-208. Unlawful importation of skunks - Penalty. Skunks may not be carried into the state.

Full law: 0-4-208. Unlawful importation of skunks - Penalty.
(a) It is unlawful for any person to import, possess, or cause to be imported into this state any type of live skunk, or to sell, barter, exchange or otherwise transfer any live skunk, except that the prohibitions of this section shall not apply to bona fide zoological parks and research institutions.
(b) A violation of this section is a Class C misdemeanor.

4) 8.16.020 Keeping wildlife: No person may keep a cheetah as a pet.

Full law: 8.16.020 Keeping wildlife--Prohibited when. It is unlawful for any person to possess wildlife on or about their premises within the area of the metropolitan government except as provided in this chapter. (Prior code § 8-1-19)

-------------------

But the grand daddy, that is still on the books (which is very sad) but of course no longer enforced:

Constitution of Tennessee Article XI: Interracial marriages are illegal.

Full law: Constitution of Tennessee Article XI: Miscellaneous Provisions: Section 14 - The intermarriage of white persons with negroes, mulattoes, or persons of mixed blood, descended from a negro to the third generation inclusive of their living together as man and wife in this State is prohibited. The legislature shall enforce this section by appropriate legislation.
Law6379.00
      10-19-2018, 08:31 AM   #28
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep
Drives: Back and Forth To Work

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_Judy View Post
Here are a few bastard laws from TN. Pretty sure we have you all beat.

- Students may not hold hands while in school.
- It's illegal in the state of TN to share your Netflix password.
- Stealing a horse is punishable by hanging.
- It is illegal to shoot any game from a vehicle other than a whale.
- It is illegal to have more than 8 women live in the same household due to a brothel law.
- It is illegal to catch a fish with a lasso.
- Interracial marriages are illegal - although I know many who are legally married???

AND get ready for this....

- GIVING AND RECEIVING ORAL SEX IS A CRIME.

Dammit - you beat me to it!

________4158.50
      10-19-2018, 08:35 AM   #29
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by usshelena725 View Post

Craziness huh! With that oral sex business I should be serving life.
Appreciate 2
________4158.50
Run Silent15127.00
      10-19-2018, 08:46 AM   #30
________
________
Rep
Drives: ________

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_Judy View Post
Quote:

Craziness huh! With that oral sex business I should be serving life.
You think the state would give you more opportunity to commit the crimes that put you in jail in the first place? LOL
Seems like a vicious cycle
Appreciate 2
King Rudi13154.00
Run Silent15127.00
      10-19-2018, 08:53 AM   #31
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
You think the state would give you more opportunity to commit the crimes that put you in jail in the first place? LOL
Seems like a vicious cycle
If the female officers only knew.....I'd have them lined up around the block.
Appreciate 1
________4158.50
      10-19-2018, 01:07 PM   #32
Law
Global Moderator
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 6MT

Garage List
2011.5 BMW M3  [10.00]
2004 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
I live in Tennessee, which is a pretty libertarian state, however we do still have some crazy ones.

2) Constitution of the State of Tennessee Article IX Disqualifications: Any person who participates in a duel may not hold any public office in the state.

Full law: Sec. 3. Duelists shall hold no office. Any person who shall, after the adoption of this Constitution, fight a duel, or knowingly be the bearer of a challenge to fight a duel, or send or accept a challenge for that purpose, or be an aider or abettor in fighting a duel, shall be deprived of the right to hold any office of honor or profit in this State, and shall be punished otherwise, in such manner as the Legislature may prescribe.
Thanks for sharing.

Reading your post, specifically the part about duels (emphasis mine) took my mind back about two centuries (Burr-Hamilton Duel anyone?).

Just completely unfathomable today that duels were once commonplace to resolve disputes or defend honor, where even political rivalry culminated in duels.

It's funny to think about, because this type of law seems so obscure in today's world...but the world before this type of anti-dueling legislation was something else.

I mean, two US founding fathers, Button Gwinnett & Alexander Hamilton, were killed by their opponents in duels stemming from political rivalry.

Andrew Jackson killed a man (Dickinson) in a duel and would later go on to be elected POTUS.
This was over a quarrel that occurred at a horserace.

In 1838, Congressman from Kentucky William Jordan Graves killed Congressman from Maine Jonathan Cilley in a pistol duel. Afterwards, Congress passed a law (An Act to prohibit the giving or accepting, within the District of Columbia, of a challenge to fight a duel, and for the punishment thereof) making it illegal to issue or accept a duel challenge in Washington, D.C.

Just imagine Trump or any modern-day politician dueling with people they "feud" with politically?

And then there's business rivalries/disputes...because why waste time suing in court?

E9x M3 Press/Media Archives Thread | S65-based Racing Engines Thread
Appreciate 2
Run Silent15127.00
King Rudi13154.00
      10-19-2018, 02:48 PM   #33
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Tickets for speeding.

Absolute bullshit.
Appreciate 2
________4158.50
King Rudi13154.00
      10-19-2018, 05:07 PM   #34
someguywithanm3
Private
Rep
Drives: E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsGary View Post
I think they should be more strict. If you need to drink to function you shouldn't be on the roads. Besides so many services exist for you to use to get home safely. Just cause you're not wasted drunk a few drinks can still cause driver error.
Anything can cause an accident. Looking down to change you're radio station or looking down at your GPS can cause driver error. Maybe we should start suspending licenses for that and charging thousands of dollars for taking your eyes off the road for a second.
Appreciate 1
      10-19-2018, 05:10 PM   #35
are0lies
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
Tickets for speeding.

Absolute bullshit.
That depends...if you're passing me, you deserve a ticket. If you're slower than me, you too deserve a ticket for blocking my way.
Appreciate 2
________4158.50
Germanauto9698.00
      10-19-2018, 05:20 PM   #36
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Butt sex usually banned also except surprise style in prison
Appreciate 1
________4158.50
      10-19-2018, 05:38 PM   #37
gabriel.psd
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 AW 6MT

Garage List
2004 330ci  [0.00]
It is unlawful for any person to do the following within the Qualcomm Stadium parking facility:
Intentionally throw, discharge, launch, or spill any solid object (including footballs, baseballs, frisbees and other such devices) or liquid substance, or otherwise cause such object or substance to be thrown, discharged, launched, spilled, or to become airborne.(San Diego Mun. Code §59.0502.)

Maybe THIS is why the Chargers left San Diego.

Appreciate 1
________4158.50
      10-19-2018, 05:58 PM   #38
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

Lots of brilliant posts today but DUI being a "nonsensical law" probably wins it all.

Honorable mention to the post saying a guy getting run over while sleeping on the sidewalk is at fault for being there in the first place
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2018, 06:05 PM   #39
________
________
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth One View Post
Lots of brilliant posts today but DUI being a "nonsensical law" probably wins it all.

Honorable mention to the post saying a guy getting run over while sleeping on the sidewalk is at fault for being there in the first place
I knew right away you were a law abiding citizen.
I thought "man this guy needs to get laid", but I figured that's probably illegal where you live
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2018, 06:11 PM   #40
HRE_Wheels
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabriel.psd View Post
It is unlawful for any person to do the following within the Qualcomm Stadium parking facility:
Intentionally throw, discharge, launch, or spill any solid object (including footballs, baseballs, frisbees and other such devices) or liquid substance, or otherwise cause such object or substance to be thrown, discharged, launched, spilled, or to become airborne.(San Diego Mun. Code §59.0502.)

Maybe THIS is why the Chargers left San Diego.
Lock me away I guess...

I had no idea... How dumb is that.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2018, 06:17 PM   #41
catcher22
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

No one may wash a mule on the sidewalk.
Appreciate 1
________4158.50
      10-19-2018, 06:21 PM   #42
catcher22
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

Quote:
Curious to see what kind of BS laws you have where you live.

I was thinking about the "nanny state" that more and more is being implemented, punishing parents for educating their kids for example.

Whenever you have MORE state, more BS laws are created.
In Canada, you have to wear a helmet when riding a bike and a seatbelt when driving. It makes sense for the state to control these things since everyone pays for healthcare should you get injured.

I never understood why the US mandates seat belts, for example. Seems like a BS law.

Whatcha got?
Good thread! But what's wrong with mandating seatbelts? Getting ejected is never fun.

But to your point, I think not wearing your seatbelt is a Primary Offense in most states, which is usually used to pull people over to find other (often more serious) offenses.
Appreciate 1
________4158.50
      10-19-2018, 06:23 PM   #43
________
________
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by catcher22 View Post
Quote:
Curious to see what kind of BS laws you have where you live.

I was thinking about the "nanny state" that more and more is being implemented, punishing parents for educating their kids for example.

Whenever you have MORE state, more BS laws are created.
In Canada, you have to wear a helmet when riding a bike and a seatbelt when driving. It makes sense for the state to control these things since everyone pays for healthcare should you get injured.

I never understood why the US mandates seat belts, for example. Seems like a BS law.

Whatcha got?
Good thread! But what's wrong with mandating seatbelts? Getting ejected is never fun.

But to your point, I think not wearing your seatbelt is a Primary Offense in most states, which is usually used to pull people over to find other (often more serious) offenses.
My point is: why do we as a society care if someone decides to be ejected from their vehicle?

We do in universal care countries because we all pay for the care of the dumbass... in the US, not so much. Or not?
Appreciate 1
catcher22294.00
      10-19-2018, 06:39 PM   #44
gabriel.psd
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 AW 6MT

Garage List
2004 330ci  [0.00]
Quote:
My point is: why do we as a society care if someone decides to be ejected from their vehicle?

We do in universal care countries because we all pay for the care of the dumbass... in the US, not so much. Or not?
Let’s say you and I get into a head-on collision. I’m wearing a seatbelt. I’m fine. You’re not. You bust through your windshield, through mine, directly into my face. Now I’m annoyed because there’s Canadian all over me. Not in the good way either.

Buckling your seatbelt is the roadway equivalent of handling your own shit.

I can’t think of a single other reason why.

Appreciate 2
catcher22294.00
________4158.50