E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - California > Sac valley member chat thread

02-05-2014, 12:38 AM   #3367
lawwailok
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i, E70 X5

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by buster84
Congrats on the second kid. Your going to have your hands full here soon! I didn't realize you were going to have another little one, in that case its time to sell the bmw and go full on mini van... JK!

Ok im being serious now lol. Since you already have a 4 door i'd suggest keeping the car. If your worried about issues down the road trade it in for a 4 door 328i model, then if you do that get the x-drive model for the extra all wheel drive safety in the rain and snow. You also have the X5 which is 100x better than a minivan
hahaha yea i got pretty much all stuff needed to worry about replaced. so my car should be worry free for another 50k miles at least, except regular maint. im pretty dead set to keep my car now. nothing really wrong with it and i MAY plan to de-mod some exterior mod. i already took out the roof spoiler and sold it. next... maybe take off the front lip... i also ripped the yellow stickers on the wheels.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2014, 04:12 AM   #3368
SacTownN54
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 335i Convertible

Hey guys! I just bought a 2010 335i convertible last week. I've never owned a BMW before and am blown away by all the stuff we can strap to these cars and gain huge amounts of HP and TQ. Right now the car is 100% stock with 8K miles. I'm planning on getting a JB4 with USB and DCI. I'm on the fence about the oil catch can, but I don't want to start a debate here about whether I should or shouldn't go with that. Just wanted to say hello!
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2014, 10:57 AM   #3369
VNeBLOB42
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14' GMC Terrain SLT-2

Garage List
007 335i E92  [7.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SacTownN54 View Post
Hey guys! I just bought a 2010 335i convertible last week. I've never owned a BMW before and am blown away by all the stuff we can strap to these cars and gain huge amounts of HP and TQ. Right now the car is 100% stock with 8K miles. I'm planning on getting a JB4 with USB and DCI. I'm on the fence about the oil catch can, but I don't want to start a debate here about whether I should or shouldn't go with that. Just wanted to say hello!
Welcome,

Think about warranty and where you service it. Think about your goals as well. The COBB offers some great third party custom tuning, remember the JB doesn't offer much OTS for shitty Ca. 91 octane. That's why most of us went to COBB and for ease of uninstall for dealer visits. Either way you will need to blend Ethanol or race fuel to get the high ponies here in Ca.

Enjoy your new ride any questions please ask.

SOLD:: PTF Pro eTune by Dzenno / COBB S1+ E50
Alpina B3 Flash / ETS FMIC / ER CP / CPE DCI
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2014, 12:34 PM   #3370
Boost'n E92
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 e92 335i

Well hello

Thanks VNeBLOB42 Vince for the car, will treat her well, sold the e46 yesterday after 9 years, retired her to a friend.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2014, 01:11 PM   #3371
VNeBLOB42
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14' GMC Terrain SLT-2

Garage List
007 335i E92  [7.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boost'n E92 View Post
Thanks VNeBLOB42 Vince for the car, will treat her well, sold the e46 yesterday after 9 years, retired her to a friend.
MUST READ.....

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=696472

the timing corrections section is based on my findings, aka your car.

SOLD:: PTF Pro eTune by Dzenno / COBB S1+ E50
Alpina B3 Flash / ETS FMIC / ER CP / CPE DCI
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2014, 01:29 PM   #3372
SacTownN54
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VNeBLOB42 View Post
Welcome,

Think about warranty and where you service it. Think about your goals as well. The COBB offers some great third party custom tuning, remember the JB doesn't offer much OTS for shitty Ca. 91 octane. That's why most of us went to COBB and for ease of uninstall for dealer visits. Either way you will need to blend Ethanol or race fuel to get the high ponies here in Ca.

Enjoy your new ride any questions please ask.
I realize we don't get the best gas here in case, but is Cobb really a better unit for the 91 octane? I've also seen the BMS flash used in conjunction with the jb4 and the gains seem pretty good. As for service the 4 year warranty is up in march so there isn't much concern. I'llprobably be doing as much of the maintenance service (oil change, brakes, etc) myself. For anything I can't handle I am planning on taking it to DRJ or Frank's. Anyone have experience with either shop?
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2014, 01:35 PM   #3373
lawwailok
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by VNeBLOB42 View Post
MUST READ.....

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=696472

the timing corrections section is based on my findings, aka your car.
it will be funny to see Kyle got all confused and started yelling "how the f can i log? what happened to all the christmas tree lights on the dash now?" LMFAO jk
let him learn the hard way

Quote:
I realize we don't get the best gas here in case, but is Cobb really a better unit for the 91 octane? I've also seen the BMS flash used in conjunction with the jb4 and the gains seem pretty good. As for service the 4 year warranty is up in march so there isn't much concern. I'llprobably be doing as much of the maintenance service (oil change, brakes, etc) myself. For anything I can't handle I am planning on taking it to DRJ or Frank's. Anyone have experience with either shop?
welcome! my tune journey was starting out from a JB+, JB3, JB4, then cobb OTS, cobb PTF tune. if you ask me, even tho now without any warranty. i still love the cobb better. im just tired of getting into the ECU area and fiddling all the wires. i've install/uninstall JB3/4 20+ times, and i can get it installed in 25 mins total including let the ECU sleep. but it was just pain in the butt and i don't want to deal with it no more.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2014, 02:34 PM   #3374
Boost'n E92
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 e92 335i

[QUOTE=lawwailok;15394172]it will be funny to see Kyle got all confused and started yelling "how the f can i log? what happened to all the christmas tree lights on the dash now?" LMFAO jk

I will log test it, and let you grade my homework (log for me) lol I will just brain fart, so I will sit and drink my strawberry w/boba. I suck at math/graphing lol. You will have to go over it with me, I might be buying some down pipes vrsf!!!!!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2014, 02:51 PM   #3375
SacTownN54
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawwailok View Post
welcome! my tune journey was starting out from a JB+, JB3, JB4, then cobb OTS, cobb PTF tune. if you ask me, even tho now without any warranty. i still love the cobb better. im just tired of getting into the ECU area and fiddling all the wires. i've install/uninstall JB3/4 20+ times, and i can get it installed in 25 mins total including let the ECU sleep. but it was just pain in the butt and i don't want to deal with it no more.
So is the benefit of the Cobb unit mostly because of the ease of install? I know it is much easier, but I'm actually kind of looking forward to taking something apart and putting it back together better than it was before. I don't know much about the BMW engines so I figured I would familiarize myself with the layout during the JB install. I open to all ideas, I have just seen the JB4 on here for a really good price so I was leaning that way. In sum, is the advantage to the Cobb that it produces more power on 91 octane or that it is easier to install?
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2014, 03:27 PM   #3376
lawwailok
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
[QUOTE=Boost'n E92;15394609]
Quote:
it will be funny to see Kyle got all confused and started yelling "how the f can i log? what happened to all the christmas tree lights on the dash now?" LMFAO jk

I will log test it, and let you grade my homework (log for me) lol I will just brain fart, so I will sit and drink my strawberry w/boba. I suck at math/graphing lol. You will have to go over it with me, I might be buying some down pipes vrsf!!!!!!!!!
LOL i don't grade homework. i suck at homework too, thats why i dropped out college. you don't want to rely on me or else my "tuning" will blow your motor in a possible way, lmfao!

each car reacts differently on tune so it's more like depends on how your car react on the fuel and the condition of the motor. there's no 2 same PTF tune, they are tailored to your own liking.

Last edited by lawwailok; 02-05-2014 at 03:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2014, 03:37 PM   #3377
lawwailok
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
So is the benefit of the Cobb unit mostly because of the ease of install? I know it is much easier, but I'm actually kind of looking forward to taking something apart and putting it back together better than it was before. I don't know much about the BMW engines so I figured I would familiarize myself with the layout during the JB install. I open to all ideas, I have just seen the JB4 on here for a really good price so I was leaning that way. In sum, is the advantage to the Cobb that it produces more power on 91 octane or that it is easier to install?
JB4 has autotune map, it adjusts the power by the grade of the fuel. for us, with sucky AZN gas, the autotune in my JB4 didn't allow my car to run anything over 14psi. now the whole ball game has been changing, Terry made some wonderful solution to JB4, but at the end, if you gonna stick with straight 91, you are not getting much out of it. start blending E85 can do the trick. im not bashing Terry's product, but i feel Cobb suits me better.

the list goes on, if you plan to do kittyless DP, that will make some good extra power. i didn't want to deal with the emission so i left the stock one intact.

JB4 has auto tune feature, Cobb has OTS maps but you can always go PTF custom tune. so both are having their own advantages.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2014, 03:38 PM   #3378
buster84
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335I X-Drive E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by SacTownN54
Welcome to the forum. Any pics? I love my convertible too lol. I just read the post that your looking for a jb4. It's definitely a good tune.
Cobb is also good; you Can't really go wrong with either. The next possible choice is procede. They all have their advantages and disadvantages so it's upto you to decide on the setup.

I've actually been thinking about selling my Vishnu precede rev 3/flex fuel kit/open flash setup. If your interested the let me know and I'll Also also help you out with installing a inline walbro setup in order to run full e85 ect with the setup. I created a DIY on the walbro setup in the DIY section if you want to check out the process.

Btw I typed this from my phone please ignore the bad sentences lol.
2007 Bmw X5 (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2014, 03:54 PM   #3379
SacTownN54
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by buster84 View Post
Welcome to the forum. Any pics? I love my convertible too lol. I just read the post that your looking for a jb4. It's definitely a good tune.
Cobb is also good; you Can't really go wrong with either. The next possible choice is procede. They all have their advantages and disadvantages so it's upto you to decide on the setup.

I've actually been thinking about selling my Vishnu precede rev 3/flex fuel kit/open flash setup. If your interested the let me know and I'll Also also help you out with installing a inline walbro setup in order to run full e85 ect with the setup. I created a DIY on the walbro setup in the DIY section if you want to check out the process.

Btw I typed this from my phone please ignore the bad sentences lol.
Thanks for the offer! One reason why I am leaning towards the JB4 is because of the option to turn the system off via the steering wheel. This car is being shared by both my girlfriend and myself so I want to have something to have fun with when I have it, but also be able to turn it off when she is driving it. She likes the leather seats and radio with the top down more than she cares about horsepower. The plan is to keep the JB off for most of the time so the e85 setup, while nice, isn't exactly what I'm looking for. I've got to look around for my camera, but I'll post pics shortly.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2014, 04:11 PM   #3380
buster84
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the offer! One reason why I am leaning towards the JB4 is because of the option to turn the system off via the steering wheel. This car is being shared by both my girlfriend and myself so I want to have something to have fun with when I have it, but also be able to turn it off when she is driving it. She likes the leather seats and radio with the top down more than she cares about horsepower. The plan is to keep the JB off for most of the time so the e85 setup, while nice, isn't exactly what I'm looking for. I've got to look around for my camera, but I'll post pics shortly.
Just so you know the Procede came first and the JB4 was a duplicate of it (although it was good for competition). The Procede works exactly the same as the JB4. I'm not trying to convince you to buy my setup lol. I'm just pointing out what you don't yet know, so please don't think I'm trying to convince you or anything.

With the vishnu e85 setup you can run any amount of e85 you wish and you can fill up with gasoline anytime you wish since the sensor sends the % info to the procede. With the Jb4 setup if you want to turn off e85 you MUST finish whats in the tank otherwise you will run into huge fuel issues if you turn the JB4 off (over 20 e85, don't forget we already have 10% in our gas so you have to calculate that in too when filling up).

If you want an full on an off setup you'll have to avoid e85 since you can't turn the tune off when running it. Lastly, you can't run over e30 without a custom backend flash for the JB4. You can use a Cobb or BT Cable to do this. When your E85 ratios change from say 50% to 80% you have to re-flash the car with a new Fuel Scaler to match. Which means you have to test your ethanol % when filling up as well as record what you have in the tank already and calculate that in. E85 is very FUN I probably gained 40-50hp from it alone and its very addicting too. I stopped using it after summer and thought about getting back into it, but right now premium is $3.39 (last i was at costco) and e85 is $3.09 which to me is far from worth it with the loss in MPG right now. If i was going to the track or something id do it. Either way, I'd look into what you really want for the car and pick your tune from their. If you have any questions we'll all be here to help unbiasedly as well.

FYI if you have a Warranty and plan to have any Warranty work done its highly recommended that you remove your Procede/JB4 before taking it in. Its why Cobb and open flash users prefer their tune since its just a software removal instead of getting your hands dirty. Also if you do visit BMW go to Neillo in Elk Grove they are WAY better than the one near Arden Mall.

Edit: I forgot to ask is your car N54 or N55? I think they switched to n55 mid year.
2007 Bmw X5 (Sold)

Last edited by buster84; 02-05-2014 at 04:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2014, 04:36 PM   #3381
SacTownN54
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Just so you know the Procede came first and the JB4 was a duplicate of it (although it was good for competition). The Procede works exactly the same as the JB4. I'm not trying to convince you to buy my setup lol. I'm just pointing out what you don't yet know, so please don't think I'm trying to convince you or anything.

With the vishnu e85 setup you can run any amount of e85 you wish and you can fill up with gasoline anytime you wish since the sensor sends the % info to the procede. With the Jb4 setup if you want to turn off e85 you MUST finish whats in the tank otherwise you will run into huge fuel issues if you turn the JB4 off (over 20 e85, don't forget we already have 10% in our gas so you have to calculate that in too when filling up).

If you want an full on an off setup you'll have to avoid e85 since you can't turn the tune off when running it. Lastly, you can't run over e30 without a custom backend flash for the JB4. You can use a Cobb or BT Cable to do this. When your E85 ratios change from say 50% to 80% you have to re-flash the car with a new Fuel Scaler to match. Which means you have to test your ethanol % when filling up as well as record what you have in the tank already and calculate that in. E85 is very FUN I probably gained 40-50hp from it alone and its very addicting too. I stopped using it after summer and thought about getting back into it, but right now premium is $3.39 (last i was at costco) and e85 is $3.09 which to me is far from worth it with the loss in MPG right now. If i was going to the track or something id do it. Either way, I'd look into what you really want for the car and pick your tune from their. If you have any questions we'll all be here to help unbiasedly as well.

FYI if you have a Warranty and plan to have any Warranty work done its highly recommended that you remove your Procede/JB4 before taking it in. Its why Cobb and open flash users prefer their tune since its just a software removal instead of getting your hands dirty. Also if you do visit BMW go to Neillo in Elk Grove they are WAY better than the one near Arden Mall.

Wow thanks for all the info Buster. I know you're just giving me info and I really do appreciate it. I haven't been in a car with e85 in the tank so I haven't been bitten by the bug yet, but it sounds like a PITA. There is a 76 station on watt/Marconi that has 100 octane fuel that I would probably dump in if was trying to race it.

I haven't personally dealt with Niello Elk Grove, but my parents have gotten their last 3 BMW's from there and they have nothing but nice things to say about them. In fact, they just picked up a 550i from there a couple days ago. Talk about fast! I've never felt a car accelerate like that before. Hopefully I can find a tune quickly so I can try and keep up!

So just to clarify, the JB4 map does not account for fuel changes? I thought that was what map 5 was for? Please keep in mind that I've only be researching this stuff for the past couple days (although I've been glued to my comp screen for many hours a day). Thank you guys for all the tips and keep them coming!
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2014, 04:49 PM   #3382
lawwailok
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Wow thanks for all the info Buster. I know you're just giving me info and I really do appreciate it. I haven't been in a car with e85 in the tank so I haven't been bitten by the bug yet, but it sounds like a PITA. There is a 76 station on watt/Marconi that has 100 octane fuel that I would probably dump in if was trying to race it.

I haven't personally dealt with Niello Elk Grove, but my parents have gotten their last 3 BMW's from there and they have nothing but nice things to say about them. In fact, they just picked up a 550i from there a couple days ago. Talk about fast! I've never felt a car accelerate like that before. Hopefully I can find a tune quickly so I can try and keep up!

So just to clarify, the JB4 map does not account for fuel changes? I thought that was what map 5 was for? Please keep in mind that I've only be researching this stuff for the past couple days (although I've been glued to my comp screen for many hours a day). Thank you guys for all the tips and keep them coming!
that sunoco gas is $8/gallon, as far as i remember last time when i pump those was 3 years ago with JB3 running map 2. back then there was only map 1 or map 2.

also for the 550i, let me put it this way, a stock 335i is no comparison. but once you are on... let's say E50 fuel, you will be "huh? that's it? the 550i is slowwwwwwwww"
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2014, 04:50 PM   #3383
buster84
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Once you throw a tune on the car you will feel a HUGE difference. It's literally twice as fast. After a while you get used to it though and like me i needed E85 for that extra push since i refused to use meth. Id suggest upgrading your intercooler first with the tune. That will allow you to keep higher boost especially in our hot city. VRSF has a nice one. I bought their 7" and couldn't have been happier. As for JB4 it does account for fuel changes unto 30% e85, but it can't adjust past that point without a custom DME flash with the Cobb or BT Cable (and software). If you don't have the backend flash and run more than e30 you run a chance of going lean. Without opening up the DME fueling is very limited.

Once you get the DME Flashed and the Jb4 installed will be able to automatically adjust to upto 34% variance in the fuel. Our cars allow unto 34% though the DME so its not exactly the JB4 adjusting, but your instead your DME. It works since our cars computer reads the Lambda readings and adjust's fuel to maintain that lambda. The JB4 adjusts for timing and other things to get you the most power and tells the computer what Air Fuel ratios to go for. With any tune you can adjust unto 34% difference between gasoline and e85.

Thats why you have to adjust the Fuel Scaler (requires a new flash) every time you fill up at the pump and you have to find a way to read the E85 content by either a digital reader or by strip testing (but that requires you to know what you already have and requires you to calculate that into the new % and gallons being added to your tank). This was the only reason i did the Vishnu setup for e85 since they are the only tuning setup out their that doesn't require any re-flashing and allows you to use any amount of gasoline and e85 you wish. Vishnu somehow made it work without re-flashing and to most its very technical on how its been done but it works. I chose this setup since my GF drives the car as well, but now that we have an X5 she drives that more and because of that I've been thinking about switching to Cobb and buying a custom tune.

The JB4 setup is very good and the product is an A+ in my mind. I just wish it had an ethanol sensor in it to make it more convenient on fill ups. We all prefer everything to be automated now a days, but then again to most this isn't a problem unless your like me (and you) who have other drivers that might screw up and get gasoline instead of e85 when your car is tuned for e85 ect... Pick the setup that would fit your needs. If you have no plans for e85 now, get the JB4 and worry about the calculations of e85 when you decide to.
2007 Bmw X5 (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2014, 05:12 PM   #3384
SacTownN54
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
that sunoco gas is $8/gallon, as far as i remember last time when i pump those was 3 years ago with JB3 running map 2. back then there was only map 1 or map 2.

also for the 550i, let me put it this way, a stock 335i is no comparison. but once you are on... let's say E50 fuel, you will be "huh? that's it? the 550i is slowwwwwwwww"
I would be very impressed if I could keep up with that thing. It's already a monster and my Dad is interested in getting the stage 1 n63tu tune from BMS if all goes well with my proposed JB4. Regardless of who wins, it would be fun to do a little racing with the two cars (in an off-road closed course in Mexico of course). I've looked in the n63 forum and its a little cloudy regarding the hp and tq gains for the stage one, but for $600 bucks, even a little bit of a boost would be worth it.

I drove by the gas station the other night to make sure they still had it. To my surprise the whole station was taped off with yellow caution tape. I called the next day and they are doing a pump upgrade or something, but it should be reopened by now. The 100 octane is at 8.89 a gal. Super expensive, but I'd probably only put a few gallons in to get the tank octane up to 93 or above.

Quote:
Once you throw a tune on the car you will feel a HUGE difference. It's literally twice as fast. After a while you get used to it though and like me i needed E85 for that extra push since i refused to use meth. Id suggest upgrading your intercooler first with the tune. That will allow you to keep higher boost especially in our hot city. VRSF has a nice one. I bought their 7" and couldn't have been happier. As for JB4 it does account for fuel changes unto 30% e85, but it can't adjust past that point without a custom DME flash with the Cobb or BT Cable (and software). If you don't have the backend flash and run more than e30 you run a chance of going lean. Without opening up the DME fueling is very limited.

Once you get the DME Flashed and the Jb4 installed will be able to automatically adjust to upto 34% variance in the fuel. Our cars allow unto 34% though the DME so its not exactly the JB4 adjusting, but your instead your DME. It works since our cars computer reads the Lambda readings and adjust's fuel to maintain that lambda. The JB4 adjusts for timing and other things to get you the most power and tells the computer what Air Fuel ratios to go for. With any tune you can adjust unto 34% difference between gasoline and e85.

Thats why you have to adjust the Fuel Scaler (requires a new flash) every time you fill up at the pump and you have to find a way to read the E85 content by either a digital reader or by strip testing (but that requires you to know what you already have and requires you to calculate that into the new % and gallons being added to your tank). This was the only reason i did the Vishnu setup for e85 since they are the only tuning setup out their that doesn't require any re-flashing and allows you to use any amount of gasoline and e85 you wish. Vishnu somehow made it work without re-flashing and to most its very technical on how its been done but it works. I chose this setup since my GF drives the car as well, but now that we have an X5 she drives that more and because of that I've been thinking about switching to Cobb and buying a custom tune.

The JB4 setup is very good and the product is an A+ in my mind. I just wish it had an ethanol sensor in it to make it more convenient on fill ups. We all prefer everything to be automated now a days, but then again to most this isn't a problem unless your like me (and you) who have other drivers that might screw up and get gasoline instead of e85 when your car is tuned for e85 ect... Pick the setup that would fit your needs. If you have no plans for e85 now, get the JB4 and worry about the calculations of e85 when you decide to.
The intercooler is definitely high on the list of mods, I think I might just wait a few months until I pull the trigger on that. That way I have some time to save up and then I'll have it when the summer temps hit. I was thinking of going with the ETS 5'' since I wouldn't have to do any trimming. I like the idea of modifying the car, but I'm not a fan of cutting or drilling anything.

I too do not want anything to do with meth in the car. I was always told to just say no to meth and so I'm going to stick with that. Seems like people are always having problems running meth with these cars. That could be a huge over generalization since I admittedly don't know very much about these cars, but for now I'd rather stick to pump gas and maybe venture into the e85 world every once in awhile. Now I just need to find one of these damn tunes!
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2014, 05:18 PM   #3385
buster84
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I would be very impressed if I could keep up with that thing. It's already a monster and my Dad is interested in getting the stage 1 n63tu tune from BMS if all goes well with my proposed JB4. Regardless of who wins, it would be fun to do a little racing with the two cars (in an off-road closed course in Mexico of course). I've looked in the n63 forum and its a little cloudy regarding the hp and tq gains for the stage one, but for $600 bucks, even a little bit of a boost would be worth it.

I drove by the gas station the other night to make sure they still had it. To my surprise the whole station was taped off with yellow caution tape. I called the next day and they are doing a pump upgrade or something, but it should be reopened by now. The 100 octane is at 8.89 a gal. Super expensive, but I'd probably only put a few gallons in to get the tank octane up to 93 or above.

The intercooler is definitely high on the list of mods, I think I might just wait a few months until I pull the trigger on that. That way I have some time to save up and then I'll have it when the summer temps hit. I was thinking of going with the ETS 5'' since I wouldn't have to do any trimming. I like the idea of modifying the car, but I'm not a fan of cutting or drilling anything.

I too do not want anything to do with meth in the car. I was always told to just say no to meth and so I'm going to stick with that. Seems like people are always having problems running meth with these cars. That could be a huge over generalization since I admittedly don't know very much about these cars, but for now I'd rather stick to pump gas and maybe venture into the e85 world every once in awhile. Now I just need to find one of these damn tunes!
Haha if you have no plans this weekend i can take you for a ride to give you an idea of what a tune feels like. Our Verts are 400lbs heavier than a coupe so riding in a coupe would be a little faster with the same tune.
2007 Bmw X5 (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2014, 05:33 PM   #3386
SacTownN54
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Haha if you have no plans this weekend i can take you for a ride to give you an idea of what a tune feels like. Our Verts are 400lbs heavier than a coupe so riding in a coupe would be a little faster with the same tune.
Wow I didn't realize they were 400lbs extra. Sounds like I might need some e85 action to take care of that haha. I'll take you up on your offer! Just as a heads up, I'm studying for the bar right now so it would have to be super quick. I take the test at the end of this month so we could always do it after. I'd have a lot more time to ask you the million questions I'm sure I would have. Where in Sac are you located? I'm in the East Sac/Midtown area.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2014, 05:37 PM   #3387
lawwailok
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

don't be impressed. with the aid of E85, you can easily getting 400+whp and 430wtq.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2014, 05:46 PM   #3388
SacTownN54
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
don't be impressed. with the aid of E85, you can easily getting 400+whp and 430wtq.
I'm sorry I am very very impressed with what these n54 engines are capable of doing. The only other engines I've worked on are small block carbureted chevys and I am absolutely floored at what a relatively small amount of money can do to the n54. I remember spending hundreds of dollars on cam shafts for like a 20 hp gain. Now it seems like 80-100 hp is possible with a similar sum of money. Crazy in my opinion, but sounds like a good thing to get used to.
Appreciate 0