E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Classifieds Section > Pair of Harmon Kardon underseat sub 8ohms

01-02-2018, 09:05 AM   #1
Sayek
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 320i LCI

Pair of Harmon Kardon underseat sub 8ohms

I have sale pair of Harmon Kardon subs.

I bought these to upgrade the Base setup 6inch sub and compliment the Alpine kit for my E92.

I did not realise until i purchased that E9x Harmon Subs are 4ohms but the Fx Harmons are 8ohms.

I collected the subs today from a owner of 2015 F30. He upgraded his HK sub with Focals so reused the factory enclosure.

Does anyone know if they are worth connecting since thy are high speaker ohms, i am think they will only draw half the power from the amp, any feedback appreciated.

If no point looking to sell or swap for 4 ohms version
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-03-2018, 12:02 PM   #2
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F83 and F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayek View Post
I have sale pair of Harmon Kardon subs.

I bought these to upgrade the Base setup 6inch sub and compliment the Alpine kit for my E92.

I did not realise until i purchased that E9x Harmon Subs are 4ohms but the Fx Harmons are 8ohms.

I collected the subs today from a owner of 2015 F30. He upgraded his HK sub with Focals so reused the factory enclosure.

Does anyone know if they are worth connecting since thy are high speaker ohms, i am think they will only draw half the power from the amp, any feedback appreciated.

If no point looking to sell or swap for 4 ohms version
My understanding is that on high impedance, there will be less percussion at a given wattage. In simple words, at a give watts 200w there will be less sound.

In other words more stress on your amp.
      01-03-2018, 04:15 PM   #3
Sayek
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by makkan00 View Post
My understanding is that on high impedance, there will be less percussion at a given wattage. In simple words, at a give watts 200w there will be less sound.

Appreciate the reply. I am only going by what i read but put my hands up if incorrect.

I thought if you try to run a 2ohm speaker on amp that only capable of 4ohm stable you will stress the amp too far and kill it.
Would it not be the opposite effect if running speaker higher ohms.
Hopefully a F30 owner with damaged subs will take it off my hands

I read a very usefull review from yourself of the alpine kit that the amp produce only 40watts per channel.
As for a replacement sub based on your experience what sub would be ideal for the alpine kit based on 40watts output.

Appreciate the feedback
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2018, 04:26 PM   #4
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F83 and F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayek View Post
Quote:

Appreciate the reply. I am only going by what i read but put my hands up if incorrect.

I thought if you try to run a 2ohm speaker on amp that only capable of 4ohm stable you will stress the amp too far and kill it.
Would it not be the opposite effect if running speaker higher ohms.
Hopefully a F30 owner with damaged subs will take it off my hands

I read a very usefull review from yourself of the alpine kit that the amp produce only 40watts per channel.
As for a replacement sub based on your experience what sub would be ideal for the alpine kit based on 40watts output.

Appreciate the feedback
https://www.lifewire.com/speaker-impedance-3134705

Night time read especially the last paragraph.

Anything b/w 2-4 ohm subs are good if your amp can handle it. Alpine amp specifications are not released to the public therefore it is hard to say whether it will work with 2 ohms or not, so safer bet is 4 ohms.
      01-05-2018, 02:26 AM   #5
Sayek
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
https://www.lifewire.com/speaker-impedance-3134705

Night time read especially the last paragraph.

Anything b/w 2-4 ohm subs are good if your amp can handle it. Alpine amp specifications are not released to the public therefore it is hard to say whether it will work with 2 ohms or not, so safer bet is 4 ohms.
Thanks for the feedback
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2018, 02:27 AM   #6
Sayek
First Lieutenant
Rep

Bump
£100 with free UK mainland postage.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2018, 11:31 AM   #7
Sayek