E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > H7 LED upgrade

11-06-2018, 10:50 AM   #155
Jakey1973
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 M Sport Business Ed

I have found these which are similarly priced, but may be a pig to install and might throw CANBUS errors

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/H7-GLB477...4DFM:rk:1:pf:0

or these for a little bit more...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/H7-LED-Lumi...75.m4096.l9055

problem is its eBay and you never know what your gonna get!
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2018, 12:50 PM   #156
P14kle
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E91

You can try...

Neither of those will fit with the covers on though I can tell you. (E91 halogen in my case anyhow)

Last edited by P14kle; 11-06-2018 at 02:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2018, 02:51 PM   #157
Jakey1973
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by P14kle View Post
You carry on.....

Neither of those will fit with the covers on though I can tell you. (E91 halogen in my case anyway)
Yeh, i am fully aware that anything with a passive heatsink is not going to fit without a dust cover modification and further modification to the heatink itself, as demonstrated previously in this post. But from what i am reading they are the better performing bulbs.

Only until they get these diodes to operate at lower temperatures, will we see smaller passive heatsinks that wont need any modification to fit [our e90/e91]

Regardless of all this, their driver cables will still mean dust cover mutilation though :-(

I think a bit a improv with the modification to the depth of the dust cover itself is going to be the answer to accomodate these heatsinks.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2018, 03:20 PM   #158
P14kle
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I went for the 'easy' route.. 😁

Very pleased with the results though. I'm happy.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2018, 04:49 PM   #159
Jakey1973
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

👍👍

I would be interested to see what beam pattern they give you, assuming they are in E9x reflectors. I’ll be well up for easy street!😎
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2018, 08:13 AM   #160
P14kle
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Taken this morning when I got home.

I'm no expert on beam patterns mind... They do a better job at lighting the road than the MTEC halogen H7 bulbs I had in previously though, and that's what I was after. 😎
Appreciate 1
      11-07-2018, 12:53 PM   #161
Nel2014
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d

Quote:

I'm no expert on beam patterns mind... They do a better job at lighting the road than the MTEC halogen H7 bulbs I had in previously though, and that's what I was after. 😎
Did you have drill any holes or modify the headlamp covers with these Leds? Quite interested in doing this!

Last edited by Nel2014; 11-07-2018 at 03:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2018, 09:59 AM   #162
Jakey1973
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Hello chaps! since its christmas i have decided to buy myself a present to cheer me up and since i'll have the time off next week what better way to spend it!!

Ok so having revisited this post and read it about a dozen times I am still undecided which ones i should go for. So just wondered if some of you who contributed here could help me make up my mind!

sirleeofroy in your original post the link you put in for your ones appears to redirect at eBay to this: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/H7-LED-Lu...53.m1438.l2649

are these the same as yours or are they different?

(the images appear to be missing from the original post so I am unable to compare like for like)

Also, did you have to do any mods to the heatsink like nick46 did with his?

Hello nick46! can i just confirm these are what you ordered: https://www.classiccarleds.co.uk/pro...-dipped-glb477

Ive been reading your posts and updates and it seems you ended up with a decent solution after all the hurdles.

Lastly, whilst on this classiccarleds i noticed they now have stock of the braided type, this is also in contention simply because it removes the need to hack at heatsink to fit them. They have said though that they are not adjustable - anyone used them in thier e9x and had problems with beam and glare?
bmwDon2018 I see you fitted similar by the looks of it - have they caused you any issues at all?

I will say I would prefer to buy from a pukka web than on ebay, on the basis they'll be more willing to assist should i run into problems!

Thank you in advance for your feedback
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2018, 03:58 PM   #163
sirleeofroy
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 330D M-Sport LCI

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakey1973 View Post
Hello chaps! since its christmas i have decided to buy myself a present to cheer me up and since i'll have the time off next week what better way to spend it!!

Ok so having revisited this post and read it about a dozen times I am still undecided which ones i should go for. So just wondered if some of you who contributed here could help me make up my mind!

sirleeofroy in your original post the link you put in for your ones appears to redirect at eBay to this: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/H7-LED-Lu...53.m1438.l2649

are these the same as yours or are they different?

(the images appear to be missing from the original post so I am unable to compare like for like)

Also, did you have to do any mods to the heatsink like nick46 did with his?
Hi Jakey1973

Apologies, I've not been on for a while so didn't realise the links were dead, I have now updated them so you should be able to see them now

As for the link to the eBay listing, yes they are still the same ones I used and they are pretty much the same as what nick46 used.

As for modifications, well nick46 did a better job than I did with regards to fitting and sealing up...... As we both discovered, the cap that goes on the back of the headlight housing has a block that gets in the way of the heatsink for the LED so in his case he chopped out a bit of the heatsink. Mines is still ghetto taped up and you can tell.... my headlights are particularly susceptible to moisture and whilst they do clear up quick enough, its annoying.

My next move as I mentioned before is to swap out my headlights for DEPO V3 projectors and fit those out with LED's (both dipped and main beam) and because I'll be able to do it on a bench prior to install I should get them sealed up good and proper. I also have some LED fogs to install but thats a bumper off job and seeing as I'll need to take the bumper off the fit new headlights, they will be fitted once I've got the DEPO's.

These just in case you were wondering - https://www.mstyle.co.uk/bmw-3-serie...eadlights.html

Appreciate 1
      12-19-2018, 05:58 PM   #164
Jakey1973
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirleeofroy View Post
Hi Jakey1973

Apologies, I've not been on for a while so didn't realise the links were dead, I have now updated them so you should be able to see them now

As for the link to the eBay listing, yes they are still the same ones I used and they are pretty much the same as what nick46 used.

As for modifications, well nick46 did a better job than I did with regards to fitting and sealing up...... As we both discovered, the cap that goes on the back of the headlight housing has a block that gets in the way of the heatsink for the LED so in his case he chopped out a bit of the heatsink. Mines is still ghetto taped up and you can tell.... my headlights are particularly susceptible to moisture and whilst they do clear up quick enough, its annoying.

My next move as I mentioned before is to swap out my headlights for DEPO V3 projectors and fit those out with LED's (both dipped and main beam) and because I'll be able to do it on a bench prior to install I should get them sealed up good and proper. I also have some LED fogs to install but thats a bumper off job and seeing as I'll need to take the bumper off the fit new headlights, they will be fitted once I've got the DEPO's.

These just in case you were wondering - https://www.mstyle.co.uk/bmw-3-serie...eadlights.html

Thats brilliant sirleeofroy, thanks for replying and thanks for re-doing them images, it really helps visualize your work.

Now that i can see both yours and @Nick46's, the only slight difference it seems is the inward beveled end on your heatsink which looks like it might help fit it better into the cap.....but even so; that block in the cap's top is definitely going to be problematic - i wonder if removing the block would be a better choice than removing metal from the heatsink itself?**** Food for thought on these types.

Thinking about it as I write, I am steering towards the braided versions based on the very little work needed on the cap to fit them. classiccarleds have said the only difference in them is that there is no adjustability, so to me its a no-brainer at this point. But i would like to hear from owners using them in the 3-series first, so a bit more homework to be done.

Anyway, much appreciated fella. thank you.

**UPDATE/EDIT: Doh! Just worked out the 'block' is in fact the other-side of a recess and cutting it out would leave a very big hole to cover-up and seal - wont be messing about with that in a hurry!

Last edited by Jakey1973; 12-20-2018 at 05:01 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2018, 05:06 AM   #165
sirleeofroy
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakey1973 View Post
Thats brilliant sirleeofroy, thanks for replying and thanks for re-doing them images, it really helps visualize your work.

Now that i can see both yours and @Nick46's, the only slight difference it seems is the inward beveled end on your heatsink which looks like it might help fit it better into the cap.....but even so; that block in the cap's top is definitely going to be problematic - i wonder if removing the block would be a better choice than removing metal from the heatsink itself? Food for thought on these types.

Thinking about it as I write, I am steering towards the braided versions based on the very little work needed on the cap to fit them. classiccarleds have said the only difference in them is that there is no adjustability, so to me its a no-brainer at this point. But i would like to hear from owners using them in the 3-series first, so a bit more homework to be done.

Anyway, much appreciated fella. thank you.
No problem

I don't think the lack of adjustment will be much of an issue, I didn't adjust mine when I installed them.

I just had a look at those braided ones and they certainly do look an easier fit, I would just be a little concerned about the control unit and whether that could also be fitted into the headlight unit. Would be great if it did as that would mean literally no modification!

Could be worth asking for the dimensions of the control unit....
Appreciate 1
      12-20-2018, 05:15 AM   #166
nick46
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Bmw E91 lci 330d msport

Hi Jakey1973

Yes the link you posted is the ones I got, but the heatsinks on mine are ever so slightly different. If you look at the pictures that have the components labelled and the dimensions, that's the heatsinks that are on mine. However, if I was in your position I'd definitely be getting the ones with the braided heat sinks:
https://www.classiccarleds.co.uk/col...-dipped-glb477
Appreciate 1
      12-20-2018, 05:31 AM   #167
Jakey1973
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirleeofroy View Post
No problem

I don't think the lack of adjustment will be much of an issue, I didn't adjust mine when I installed them.

I just had a look at those braided ones and they certainly do look an easier fit, I would just be a little concerned about the control unit and whether that could also be fitted into the headlight unit. Would be great if it did as that would mean literally no modification!

Could be worth asking for the dimensions of the control unit....
Hmmm... thats a good shout to be fair. But by the looks of it there isnt any room to accommodate them at all, as I am sure Nick46 and your good self would of made damn-sure they'd of gone-in just to avoid modding the cap completely? ??

Falling short of removing the headlight housing from the car and having a thorough check for room inside there, I think I am resigned to a bit of diy with whatever style i choose....just like you chaps have.

I will ask the question and report back anyway.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2018, 05:54 AM   #168
nick46
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Bmw E91 lci 330d msport

You definitely won't be getting the control box in the headlight unit, due to the shit design of our lights!
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2018, 05:59 AM   #169
Jakey1973
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

Complete curve-ball here.... but P14kle how have you got on with these a month-on fella?
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2018, 06:01 AM   #170
Jakey1973
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick46 View Post
You definitely won't be getting the control box in the headlight unit, due to the shit design of our lights!
Yeh, thought as much! :-( cheers for the heads-up.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2018, 08:33 AM   #171
P14kle
Second Lieutenant
Rep

No problems. Bit fiddly to get the OE clips to hold them in nicely, and you will need to code out dipped bulb checks with Ncsexpert but No issues with them since fitting.

Like I said, my halogen bulbs were sh1te before so these are streets ahead in output from what I had before.

No bulky boxes to cram in headlight, and covers fit back on with no chopping whatsoever. 😎
Appreciate 2
      02-16-2019, 10:07 AM   #172
Midlandstouring
Registered
Rep
Drives: 320d M Sport Touring

Good read, coincidentally I fitted the same style LEDs as I needed a serious upgrade to my 2013 Kawasaki z1000sx as the oe lights are no better than candlelights.

The transformation was genuinely amazing, I did the sidelights too, picking up my 2007 320d m sport on Monday so need to see for myself if I'm going to go the same route?
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2019, 08:03 AM   #173
NitroKing
Bimmerrr
Rep
Drives: 2010 328i

When you cut a hole in the dust cover, doesn't that let in moisture?
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2019, 08:17 AM   #174
sirleeofroy
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroKing View Post
When you cut a hole in the dust cover, doesn't that let in moisture?
It does but a decent grommet and some silicon seal sorts that out.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2020, 08:29 PM   #175
mjo3sBMW
Rep
Drives: BMW 3 series

[QUOTE=P14kle;23956429]

I'm no expert on beam patterns mind... They do a better job at lighting the road than the MTEC halogen H7 bulbs I had in previously though, and that's what I was after. ��[/QUO

Very interesting and informative topics with lots of advices. Any chance you still have this in your Car? How did it perform after several years? I'm tempted to do this as it's less hassle and is the easy way.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2020, 01:36 AM   #176
P14kle
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Still in the car and 0 problems or issues since fitting.. One of the best mods ive ever done to the car IMHO.

As long as you have the ability to code out the cold/warm bulb checks then it really is plug n play..
Appreciate 0