E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Buying a 2008 335i E93

06-28-2020, 09:07 AM   #1
netsurfr1
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 E93 335i

Buying a 2008 335i E93

Hi everyone. New around here but not new to bmws (have leased 1999 328ci, 2012 X5M, & 2015 335iGT). I've come across an opportunity to buy a low mileage (18K), single owner, mint 2008 335i convertible from a close friend who's a car enthusiast. Car has been a summer only weekend driver and has been maintained/serviced at a bmw dealer since purchased (annual maintenance program). No accidents, rust, issues, etc... and --looks/drives beautifully. Color is Atlantic Blue Metallic with Saddle Brown Dakota leather so something unique that you don't see and is one of the aspects that we loved about the car. All upgrades/options were added to the build by owner (sports, premium, comfort access, nav, satellite, Bluetooth, telematics, etc...). This would be a summer/weekend vehicle for us as we have 2 SUVs as our primary vehicles. I've read the wiki on buying used E90s so understand some of the issues that can/will pop up. I took the car to a bmw dealer for an inspection and no issues whatsoever found. What I'd like to know is...

1. The wiki speaks about doing maintenance primarily based on mileage but should I do oil changes & other preventive maintenance based on time given the low miles it will be driven (we live in WI so car will be stored over winter months 5 months and will not be daily driver even during summer)

2. Wiki also mentiones buying a laptop for code reading/diagnostics but I see nowadays a lot of wireless odb2 scanners like Carly. Is something like that (Carly or similar) recommended?

3. Lastly, should a car like this be serviced at a bmw deeler or indy shop? I am friends with the head of service at a large bmw dealer and that's where I took it for PIP but curious if I would be better off with an indy shop instead.

4. Any tips on this car?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-28-2020, 09:24 AM   #2
Smgs1992
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 bmw 335i

So first off yes id get all the fluids changed given that its rarely driven just to be safe. Assuming you wont be putting 3-5k miles on it a year i would still get the oil changed once a year.

For code reading and what not. Dont bother with Carly as theyre subscription based require you buy their adapter and there is better methods out there. I personally suggest you download MHD and if you use or have an android phone purchase the kdcan cable or if you use iphone when the wifi adapters become available again purchase one of those. Now MHD is primarily used for tuning these cars but it is a free app to download and allows for code reading much more specific than generic OBD2 scanners.

If there is a good independent euro or bmw specific shop near you i would recommend that assuming they have a solid reputation. It will save your wallet greatly as things at the dealership can get quite expensive and frankly typically arent worth it on these older cars. Things such as a turbo replacement can run 5-8k vs $3k at an indy shop.

Personally i think these cars run better when they are driven rather than sitting all the time. So keep that in mind. Over time the rubber in the gaskets and whatnot tend to dry out and even on driven cars they all need to be replaced relatively early in their life.

Also dont get taken advantage of over the windshield seal. It likely will dryrot and ive heard of shops charging a couple hundred dollars to replace. It takes about 5min and anyone with no amount of car knowledge can replace it.
07 E92 335i 6MT, MMP inlets, DCI, VRSF 7.5 competition intercooler, VRSF catless downpipes, VRSF chargepipe, 335is clutch, Vader Solutions stage 2 LPFP, MHD stage 2+, Hawk HPS 5.0 pads, R1 Concepts drilled slotted rotors, TSW Nurburgring 19x8 19x9.5
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2020, 07:10 PM   #3
mike sevel
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 328i atlantic blue

Atlantic Blue 335i

18K miles.....that's insane! I have an Electric Blue '08 328i...70k miles.
Color is rare, only two years and hides the dust thus less washing. Color looks best in the bright sun when the metallic pops.
I have had good luck with the retractable top but hinges must be lubed and rubber gaskets treated.
Ebjoy!
Mikey
New Braunfels, tx
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2020, 08:19 PM   #4
Peter5498
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i e93

I'm just here to say how clean that color looks with that interior! I dig
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2020, 08:12 AM   #5
netsurfr1
Private
Rep

The color combo was one of the main things that made me jump on this deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter5498 View Post
I'm just here to say how clean that color looks with that interior! I dig
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2020, 08:14 AM   #6
netsurfr1
Private
Rep

I cleaned the car inside & out including treating all the rubber seals/gaskets. Will have to find the right grease for the retractable top hinges. Thanks for the heads up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike sevel View Post
18K miles.....that's insane! I have an Electric Blue '08 328i...70k miles.
Color is rare, only two years and hides the dust thus less washing. Color looks best in the bright sun when the metallic pops.
I have had good luck with the retractable top but hinges must be lubed and rubber gaskets treated.
Ebjoy!
Mikey
New Braunfels, tx
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2020, 09:39 AM   #7
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

Sold my E93 last year. Loved that car!

Advice from a previous E93 owner:

Buy some gummi pflege for your weather stips. https://www.amazon.com/nextzett-9148.../dp/B075MKR3LR

Keep your rain channels clean. They will fill up with debris and cause water to be forced into your truck, driver's side....this is also where your amp is for your audio. Bad news. Just keep the channels clean!

Keep an eye on the "rope" that operates your hard top. Be mindful if it starts to fray.

Also may want to check the hydraulic fluid that opens the top, just to make sure you are topped off.

Buy some form of software to code your vehicle, just makes it a nicer experience overall. Especially being able to drop the top while the car is in motion.

Beautiful car and a great find with that low of miles. Enjoy!
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2020, 10:06 AM   #8
netsurfr1
Private
Rep

I ordered gummi pfege. Thanks for the heads up on the rain channels, "rope", & hyd fluid. Luckily prior owner was a very caring owner and everything in this car is mint.

Will have to look into what to buy to do basic coding for things like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Rudi View Post
Sold my E93 last year. Loved that car!

Advice from a previous E93 owner:

Buy some gummi pflege for your weather stips. https://www.amazon.com/nextzett-9148.../dp/B075MKR3LR

Keep your rain channels clean. They will fill up with debris and cause water to be forced into your truck, driver's side....this is also where your amp is for your audio. Bad news. Just keep the channels clean!

Keep an eye on the "rope" that operates your hard top. Be mindful if it starts to fray.

Also may want to check the hydraulic fluid that opens the top, just to make sure you are topped off.

Buy some form of software to code your vehicle, just makes it a nicer experience overall. Especially being able to drop the top while the car is in motion.

Beautiful car and a great find with that low of miles. Enjoy!
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2020, 10:16 AM   #9
solo118
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 335i Coupe

I love this color combo! Huge congrats

Regarding coding, with my 750i I have used BimmerCode and BimmerLink, (botht through apple app store) with a VGate wifi adapter (pretty cheap on amazon) They worked decently, but up to you which one you like best.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2020, 03:16 PM   #10
netsurfr1
Private
Rep

Thanks. I downloaded Bimmercode & will check it out. I've never done any coding and the only things I'd be interested in is some of the "convenience" type mods vs. any performance mods. Seeing & clearing faults and other engine/car data would also be good...

Quote:
Originally Posted by solo118 View Post
I love this color combo! Huge congrats

Regarding coding, with my 750i I have used BimmerCode and BimmerLink, (botht through apple app store) with a VGate wifi adapter (pretty cheap on amazon) They worked decently, but up to you which one you like best.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2020, 03:39 PM   #11
S65Hunter
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3

Garage List
  [0.00]
Car looks great! Got me beat of milage too! My 08 e93 had 23K on it when I got it just a year and a half ago
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2020, 05:03 PM   #12
solo118
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by netsurfr1 View Post
Thanks. I downloaded Bimmercode & will check it out. I've never done any coding and the only things I'd be interested in is some of the "convenience" type mods vs. any performance mods. Seeing & clearing faults and other engine/car data would also be good...
Best of luck! just make sure to buy the V Gate wifi OBD reader.... found on amazon for you!

Pretty sure this is the one... https://www.amazon.com/Vgate-Scanner...omotive&sr=1-3
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2020, 05:14 PM   #13
netsurfr1
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by solo118 View Post
Quote:
Best of luck! just make sure to buy the V Gate wifi OBD reader.... found on amazon for you!

Pretty sure this is the one... https://www.amazon.com/Vgate-Scanner...ive&sr=1-3
Does the BT version not work?
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2020, 05:53 PM   #14
mike sevel
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 328i atlantic blue

Hey Atlantic Blue!!!

I live in new Braunfels, between Austin and San Antonio. I once owned a Z4 that was a deep burgundy color, nice but dust shows up quickly. When the Z4 was destroyed in an accident, I bought an '08 E93 in Atlantic Blue color. That color was only available in '08 and '09 for three series, five series and six series BMWs. I wanted a color that would hide dust and the color pops in the sun via metallics.
I have only seen two Atlantic Blue E93's locally in 12 years.
BMW produced a zillion silver E90's so our cars are rare.
Enjoy and stay safe out there in Kung Flu land.
Mikey
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-30-2020, 06:17 PM   #15
netsurfr1
Private
Rep

I've had BMW's in silver, space grey, monte carlo blue, & now Atlantic Blue. With my non-bmw cars/suv I've had red, green, black, & white but this atlantic blue is just unique and I've never seen a bmw in it except when I went researching the color. I believe it was a 2 year run on the 3 series coupe & cabrio for 07 & 08 for sure as I have those brochures. It does not appear in the 09 convert brochure as they switched to Liquid Blue instead. It's a beautiful color & have already gotten a lot of stares & a few comments/questions when fueling/parked, etc... Really love not having the typical black/silver/grey/white bmw!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike sevel View Post
I live in new Braunfels, between Austin and San Antonio. I once owned a Z4 that was a deep burgundy color, nice but dust shows up quickly. When the Z4 was destroyed in an accident, I bought an '08 E93 in Atlantic Blue color. That color was only available in '08 and '09 for three series, five series and six series BMWs. I wanted a color that would hide dust and the color pops in the sun via metallics.
I have only seen two Atlantic Blue E93's locally in 12 years.
BMW produced a zillion silver E90's so our cars are rare.
Enjoy and stay safe out there in Kung Flu land.
Mikey
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2020, 11:44 AM   #16
solo118
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Does the BT version not work?
When I bought it for my G12 750i, I was told the BT version would not. I do not know on the e9x.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2020, 12:05 PM   #17
milkmaster
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i Convertible

Had my 2008 328i E93 almost a year now and put about 5K miles on it for vacation and occasional trips out to eat etc. Now has ~31K miles on it. My best advice is to keep it in a garage if possible. Being out of the daily elements will keep that car looking like new. Wash the dust off it once in a while and keep the drain channels clean. I will change the oil annually unless mileage deems it more often. Like you I had it checked over when I bought it. The only thing I might do this year is put new brakes on it. The brake dust is terrible on mine and makes keeping the wheels clean a pain. I will do some research on what pads and rotors are best for that problem. Otherwise just make sure the tires are not older than they should be. Mine still had the OEM tires on it last year when I bought it. I hope you enjoy yours as much as my wife and I enjoy our E93. Went from a motorcycle to the E93 and enjoy it much more now.
Attached Images

07-01-2020, 01:17 PM   #18
solo118
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkmaster View Post
Had my 2008 328i E93 almost a year now and put about 5K miles on it for vacation and occasional trips out to eat etc. Now has ~31K miles on it. My best advice is to keep it in a garage if possible. Being out of the daily elements will keep that car looking like new. Wash the dust off it once in a while and keep the drain channels clean. I will change the oil annually unless mileage deems it more often. Like you I had it checked over when I bought it. The only thing I might do this year is put new brakes on it. The brake dust is terrible on mine and makes keeping the wheels clean a pain. I will do some research on what pads and rotors are best for that problem. Otherwise just make sure the tires are not older than they should be. Mine still had the OEM tires on it last year when I bought it. I hope you enjoy yours as much as my wife and I enjoy our E93. Went from a motorcycle to the E93 and enjoy it much more now.
Another epic blue color by BMW! Enjoy, Montego blue is certainly a stunner.
Appreciate 1
      07-01-2020, 02:36 PM   #19
netsurfr1
Private
Rep

Yup this will be our summer/fun car and will be kept garaged all the time and stored during the winter months. Our plan is to keep it for a LONG time so planning on keeping it looking pristine inside & out & well maintained like prior owner. Such a fun car! Love your color combo too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkmaster View Post
Appreciate 0