E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Random stalling

01-07-2015, 12:02 PM   #67
David3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E21 (x2), E46, F15, G05 LCI

Add me to the random stalling list. 2007, 328i. Anyone get this figured out. One post on this thread seemed to indicate the camshaft position sensor possibly.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2015, 08:43 PM   #68
BadAndy
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 328i E92 Xdrive

Garage List
2009 328i xdrive Coupe Automatic stalling

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92ML View Post
This exact problem happened to me too. I have an automatic but the symptoms were the same. Stalling when coming to a stop and fluctuations in the RPMS while idling. The problem started right after the dealer replaced my HPFP.

Try unplugging the battery for over 30 minutes and then plugging it back in. Then reset all the adaptations. It completely fixed the problem for me. Hope this helps!
E92ML... I am having same issue... I am wondering, did this permanently solve the issue for you... and how do you reset the adaptations? Im a newb.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2015, 08:07 AM   #69
BadAndy
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 328i E92 Xdrive

Garage List
Update

My stalling issue turned out to be my vanos... replaced both vanos' (other would have to be replaced at some point) and has been working great since.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2015, 11:06 AM   #70
blueridger
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadAndy View Post
My stalling issue turned out to be my vanos... replaced both vanos' (other would have to be replaced at some point) and has been working great since.
How did you determine the vanos was the problem? My '11 335i randomly stalled on me a few weeks ago. The battery recall fix was done some time ago, so I'm trying to figure out where else to look. I'll mention my car is under warranty but dealer has yet to offer any solution. They simply said there are no diagnostic codes. (sigh)
      07-29-2015, 09:04 AM   #71
Steve_C.
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i

Add me to the list of random stalls, 2011 n55 6MT. I thought it was because I forgot and left it in gear while slowing down to an intersection. However past few times, I've verified that I was coasting to the intersection while in neutral.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2015, 11:39 AM   #72
Sambonjo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 335 Xdrive 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_C. View Post
Add me to the list of random stalls, 2011 n55 6MT. I thought it was because I forgot and left it in gear while slowing down to an intersection. However past few times, I've verified that I was coasting to the intersection while in neutral.
I also have 2011 N55 6MT and it randomly stalls in neutral with the clutch depressed. I took it to the dealer (still under warranty) and they replaced "a sensor in the intake system" in their words. Not sure if they meant T-map or MAF. My SA said the techs all agreed that this would solve the problem but it hasn't. Car still stalls randomly and the dealer is unable to replicate.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2016, 11:09 AM   #73
buzzard
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 328i "LCI" M-SPORT

Garage List
2007 328i  [9.00]
I'm experiencing this condition now. 2007 328i 6mt, 140k miles. Car stalls when coasting to a stop in neutral. I cleaned the vanos solenoids last year so I don't THINK it's that, but it's possible. What other permanent solutions have people found?
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2016, 07:39 AM   #74
335sss
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: rip-10 335 e90/current-09 e92

Same thing. Car stalled when I put it in park after driving in hit humid weather. 2009 bmw 335 xi e92 mods. Jb4, bbflash, dci, diverted valves turbosmart, vrsf chargepipe. No codes or engine lights happend only once. New spark plugs ngk 0.35 88,000 miles
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2017, 01:07 PM   #75
chris.cary.wright
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 328i

Is there a solution

Hi all - My 2009 BMW 328i (automatic) just started stalling under all the same conditions as noted in this thread. Has anyone found a fix?

Issue summary: If hot and humid conditions, A/C on, driving on highway and slow down the vehicle due to traffic or getting off the highway engine stalls. If you can pull over and start your engine the vehicle and everything is fine. Until it happens again.

Any fix? Chris
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2017, 04:04 PM   #76
chris.cary.wright
Rep

stalling

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerGeeks View Post
Any codes?
My local BMW service told me a code indicates the ignition coil system. They want $1,700 USD to put in a new one. But I am skeptical of this, because when I restart the car it runs absolutely fine. Surely if the ignition coil was faulty it would replicate right away, right? I felt like that did not explain why the stalling only happens on hot days when the speed drops below 10 mph after coming off a highway. They were also rude, so I'm planning to work with another BMW service shop nearby instead. Any thoughts?

BTW, I saw that SI B 12 12 10 (service info bulletin) fixed this same issue for Z4's. But they told me it does not apply to 328i. In the SIB for the Z4 it was a DME software upgrade that fixed the issue.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2017, 11:50 AM   #77
chris.cary.wright
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerGeeks View Post
Get the codes pulled & post them. Preferably the real codes & not generic P codes.
Just spoke with nice mechanic. He showed me the codes on screen (sorry I didn't write them down) but they indicated ignition coil 3 failing. He also showed a failing left VANOS, but he said the VANOS might be failing simply because ignition coil 3 failed.

He's going to change ignition coil 3 and all 6 spark plugs while at it. Then I'll drive it and hopefully no issues. If issue stalling occurs after that, we'll check the left VANOS and probably replace if necessary.

I imagine this sounds appropriate, but let me know if you think otherwise. THX! Chris
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2017, 02:54 PM   #78
Rahim e92
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i xDrive

I've had this problem for a couple months but it only happened once every couple of days, it got really bad yesterday. I started the car went to a stop sign and it turned off. Turned it back on and drove 45 minutes home on the highway and it was fine until I got to a red light and it turned off. Turned it back on then slowed down to get up my driveway and turned off again. Hopefully someone figures out what it could be. I'm taking it to a shop in a couple days I'll update when I find anything out.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2017, 12:23 PM   #79
chris.cary.wright
Rep

Update: My codes were
29CF Cylinder #3 Misfire
We believe that is the root cause. Mechanic put in a new ignition coil for cylinder #3 and all 6 new spark plugs (laser platinum for $12 each). That's all for now and it runs okay, but I'm going to keep testing to see if that fixed the issue.

If the issue persists, we will try to fix another error code that came up: 2A87 VANOS OUTLET. But we are ignoring that for now because we think this only appeared as a result of faulty ignition coil #3 (or spark plugs) so we are going to see if this error is eliminated by the above. If not, we'll change the VANOS.

PS - BMW dealer wanted to charge me $1,700 (US) for above plus another $5,000 (US) of stuff I don't need. Independent mechanic changed only the one coil that failed with 6 spark plugs for $275 (US) inc. labor. In other words, I am not impressed with BMW dealerships. Probably something everyone is already familiar with though...
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2017, 12:14 PM   #80
chris.cary.wright
Rep

Fixed

Recent update... after changing coil 3 and all 6 spark plugs the issue continued (darn!!!) My mechanic then addressed code 2A87 (Camshaft Position Sensor - Exhaust B) which I believe is the same thing as replacing the top exhaust VANOS. It now works fine. HURRAY!

Charge for replacing the VANOS was $98.71 (US) for the part and $75 (US) for the labor (total 179.88 inc. tax).

BMW wanted thousands of dollars to do the same thing. I will refrain from expressing further sincere disgust at BMW... anyhow I hope this helps as far as error codes and resolution to the stalling problem!
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2017, 06:01 PM   #81
andreu12qw
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E90 335i MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris.cary.wright View Post
Recent update... after changing coil 3 and all 6 spark plugs the issue continued (darn!!!) My mechanic then addressed code 2A87 (Camshaft Position Sensor - Exhaust B) which I believe is the same thing as replacing the top exhaust VANOS. It now works fine. HURRAY!

Charge for replacing the VANOS was $98.71 (US) for the part and $75 (US) for the labor (total 179.88 inc. tax).

BMW wanted thousands of dollars to do the same thing. I will refrain from expressing further sincere disgust at BMW... anyhow I hope this helps as far as error codes and resolution to the stalling problem!
Just happened to me today. Slowing down the car shut off like i had the start/stop feature. Do you have a part number for the sensor?
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2017, 04:02 PM   #82
chris.cary.wright
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreu12qw View Post
Just happened to me today. Slowing down the car shut off like i had the start/stop feature. Do you have a part number for the sensor?
I don't, sorry. I have a 2009 328i and there's apparently 2 VANOS sensors. An exhaust VANOS and another (sorry, I'm not really in the know since I hired my mechanic to do it). But if you can look up the VANOS sensors you'll probably be able to find the part. Thing is with these BMWs so many different issues can cause this type of this so definitely get the P codes with a diagnostic device and make sure it's the VANOS that's failing. The diagnosis will tell you that. I have read online that these VANOS sensors are made of a material that degrades after about ~60,000 miles so that's why it's such a common problem. So if you're BMW has approximately that many miles, that could be the issue. But if you have much less miles that might indicate it's something else. Good luck - sorry I'd help more if I was more legit
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2017, 10:17 PM   #83
andreu12qw
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E90 335i MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris.cary.wright View Post
I don't, sorry. I have a 2009 328i and there's apparently 2 VANOS sensors. An exhaust VANOS and another (sorry, I'm not really in the know since I hired my mechanic to do it). But if you can look up the VANOS sensors you'll probably be able to find the part. Thing is with these BMWs so many different issues can cause this type of this so definitely get the P codes with a diagnostic device and make sure it's the VANOS that's failing. The diagnosis will tell you that. I have read online that these VANOS sensors are made of a material that degrades after about ~60,000 miles so that's why it's such a common problem. So if you're BMW has approximately that many miles, that could be the issue. But if you have much less miles that might indicate it's something else. Good luck - sorry I'd help more if I was more legit
Thanks for replying! I currently have 112,000 miles, so that could be the case.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2018, 12:20 PM   #84
mmille24
Rep
Drives: 328

Did anyone ever solve this?

I have a 2011 e93. Brought it to the mechanic. They couldn't find anything. No codes. No check engine light. Nothing.

However, it's happened a few times, where I'll be slowing down into a turn or just slowing down at a light, and the engine will complete cut out. I won't even realize is happens. It does it very quietly. If I put it into park, and then try to start, it starts right back up with no issues.

BMW said it could be the fuel pump, but that was replaced within the last year.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2018, 09:03 AM   #85
stepheng273
Rep
Drives: G20 330i

Same Problem - Maybe battery?

This is could be lengthy so get a beer and strap in.

I have an '08 328i and I started having the same stalling problem about a month ago. The first time it happened, it was after I stopped at a red light on my way to the store. I didn't even know the car shut off until the light turned green (damn smooth engine). Fires right back up like nothing ever happened.

After I came out of the store, it fired up fine, but shut off before I pulled off (I was sitting there for about 2-3 minutes checking something on my phone. No texting while driving kidz!). Cranked up immediately and never stalled again until the next day. I checked the codes when I got home and there were none (I used Carly to pull them if that matters).

Now, my battery or alternator could be going bad since sometimes my welcome lights (the halos and the tail light strips) don't turn on most of the time. They work if I drive for an extended period of time (like around 45 minutes), but my commute to and from work is only 15 so most of the time they're not working. When the welcome lights started working again, the car stopped stalling.

The welcome lights stopped working again about 2 days ago, and then the car stalled 2 times on the way to work today. It would have been 3, but I was lightly engine braking (slowing down, while still using the accelerator) and it shut off, but immediately started firing again since the wheels kinda acted as the starter. Then the traction control light stayed on (like the last time it stalled while moving) and it seemed like the power was cut in half. It just didn't accelerate as quick. I turned it off and turned it back on, the light left (as usual) and the power was back. This is the first time since I've started having this problem that I've experienced the power not being fully there.

Could my battery or alternator be the issue? I'll try pulling the codes when I get off today. And I'll try to clean the VANOS solenoids since I found that it could be another problem from researching the forums. But the power issue today leads me to believe it could be the fuel pump.

Last edited by stepheng273; 12-18-2018 at 09:18 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2018, 05:45 PM   #86
stepheng273
Rep
Drives: G20 330i

Update: Pulled the codes and got 1000 codes (11). But the main one was the crankshaft position sensor. After some research, this causes the exact problems I'm having, so I'll replace that Friday and update. I'm assuming the other codes are coming from a combination of my battery being relatively low(which I've read causes a number of codes to be thrown) and the sensor issue.

Update 1/7/19: Took a little longer for the update. I had some other issues arise. Water pump went out and the upper coolant hose started leaking. Got the sensor changed out and haven't had a problem with stuttering or stalling in a few days. Also, I've noticed the welcome lights work more consistently. Maybe they charged the battery at the shop? Maybe getting the sensor changed helped(I saw someone post that a bad crankshaft sensor would cause the battery to not charge correctly)?

Last edited by stepheng273; 01-07-2019 at 12:08 PM.. Reason: Update
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2019, 12:28 PM   #87
lrwatkins
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Anyone resolve the issue they had? I'm leaning toward the crankshaft sensor this seems like this make the most sense.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2019, 09:08 PM   #88
M.chowdhury1
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 318d

Hello, I live in the uk with a 2007 318d.. my car used to just 'stall' or 'turn off' while I am travelling and once coming to a standstill. Even if I have the car in neutral or whilst depressing the clutch it would still rev below normal idle and shut off.

I contacted BMW about this problem and they have said it's to die with a 'blower recal' or something if I remember. BMW then set an appointment and I had the recall done for free and now my car feels fresh as fuck to drive

Hope this helps You
Appreciate 0