E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > What did you do to your car today?

09-11-2019, 03:57 PM   #10055
S65Hunter
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPOWER5266 View Post
I already have it hardwired directly to the fuse box. I need to move it around a little and see if I can find a spot where I like it, the blendmount is a last resort.
If I remember to, I'll take a pic of where I have mine located. Its perfect IMO.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 07:25 PM   #10056
6ixSpd
Save the manuals!
Rep
Drives: '16 M3, '23 718 Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTinline-six View Post
Sucks you sold it but I can relate. I'd love a manual and have been thinking about getting one as a weekend fun car, but my daily commute would suck with a manual. Not to mention only two people in my circle of friends/family could drive it if they had to.
I had a friend inquire about my 328 and I wasn't even looking to sell it, but when you get a good offer you can't say no.
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilvan View Post
I'm in the same area as you so I see the same traffic. I got a long time family car as a winter only daily but its auto(my father wanted back into a 6spd and purchased a 335).

Last year was my first time ever owning an Auto. About 1 1/2-2 months in, the laziness/boredom kicked in and I was seriously itching to get that 3rd pedal back. By may, I was going crazy; and yes that's even with Toronto roads and traffic (Now DCT mayyy not be as bad as a full auto)
I totally hear you, I've been a 3 pedal loyalist since I've been driving. My one and only auto car I bought (W211 E55 AMG) only last with me for 2 months.

However, I'm thinking the fun to drive E82 chassis coupled with a torquey motor perfect for city driving will still be enjoyable with the DCT. The DCT is probably the only compromise I'm willing to make out of MT+RWD. Time will tell!

Past: E92 M3, F87 M2, E39 M5, etc
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 09:11 PM   #10057
Soden82
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Got a rude welcome into the N54 lifestyle. Tuned my car using MHD to the stage 1 map and on the first pull went into limp mode and threw a misfire in cylinder one.

Went and bought plugs and coils. Waiting on those, the DCI and the charge pipe and then she will be ready for more pulls!
MHD tuned
VRSF Race IC
DCI
ATM exhaust
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2019, 12:47 AM   #10058
unrulyteach
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Installed vrfs cat less dp on the n55 she sounds awesome, almost like a diesel. And also did m3 control arms, it was a long day
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2019, 12:50 AM   #10059
unrulyteach
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
I hardwired my radar detector last night. After a run in with a South Carolina Trooper and thankfully a warning because, "welp you are from Jawja and we just dropped the speed down here a week or so ago......" I decided a radar detector was cheaper than one ticket. I ran stuff the wire into the front of the headliner, and down the A pillar and into the fuse panel area.

Untitled by Nick Wood, on Flickr

I used my test light to check which unused fuses came on when I pressed the start button and on my wagon this one seemed to be the winner. I did insert the fuse all way before buttoning it.

And all buttoned up with hardly a wire in sight.

And the finished product.

I may order a Blend mount that will actually mount the detector to the mirror but so far I am happy with it.
Damn that sucks kinda, what part of SC?
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2019, 04:49 AM   #10060
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

Quote:
Originally Posted by unrulyteach View Post
If he wasn't coming from Georgia..I would say along the Columbia - Newberry stretch of I-26. My brother is actually down there at the academy right now for more training.

I'm up in Northern Spartanburg, and don't usually have to use the Interstate, but do have to deal with all the small towns I drive through. And most of those guys are pretty uptight!
      09-12-2019, 11:02 AM   #10061
flgfish
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 E91, 2015 911 C2

I've done a bunch of stuff to my 2012 E91, and am waiting on parts as well. Lets see...

- 35% tint back windows, 40% on the driver/passenger windows, and 70% on the windshield. Stupid car failed Texas inspection with 35% on the front 2 windows... blah.
- replaced a chewed ebrake boot... guess a dog got it before it was my car.
- replaced the orange side reflectors with smoked ones.
- new cabin air filter, cleaned the evaporator while I was at it.
- new HVAC blower, managed to break mine when cleaning the evaporator. i cracked the top of the fan assembly somehow.
- rennline phone mount. Use one my 911, and they're great.
- changed the 676A HIFI amp out for an Audiotec-Fisher Match 7UPBMW
- Used Bimmercode with my Veepeak ODB2 adapter to code some stuff.
- Got a Bimmergeeks K+Can cable & set up BMW Standard Tools & Rheingold in a Win7 VM.

Parts I'm waiting on, or installing this week:
- Suspension refresh. Koni Special Actives all the way around, and new springs & mounting hardware. Stock ride height, just refreshed.
- Aluminum trim to replace the wood look.
- Black kidney grills & dark side blinkers.
- New wheels & tires. Square setup Apex 17x9 ET30 in bronze with Michelin PS4s 245/40/17, new bolts & new locking bolts.
- A red starter button, because I'm going to have the trim off anyway...
- A slime tire inflation kit, since I'm ditching the awful Conti run flats...
- Have replacement Audiotec-Fisher Match speakers for the car all around, but waiting for it to cool down before install...

I think that's it. So far.

Last edited by flgfish; 09-12-2019 at 11:26 AM.. Reason: eye spel gud
Appreciate 1
      09-12-2019, 11:20 AM   #10062
MPOWER5266
Major
Rep
Drives: 1997 Dinan m3

Quote:
We were coming though Florence on the way home from the Myrtle Beach area. Thankfully he didn't ticket me just a verbal warning about slowing down.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2019, 01:02 PM   #10063
bimmerzeit
Private
Rep
Drives: E28, E39, E90

Just put a new serpentine belt, idler and tensioner kit on my 328i. Now the AC compressor is starting to knock and fail, so that will be next! Can't ask much more of it, it lasted 269,XXX miles.

Appreciate 2
      09-12-2019, 09:07 PM   #10064
unrulyteach
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
We were coming though Florence on the way home from the Myrtle Beach area. Thankfully he didn't ticket me just a verbal warning about slowing down.
Good thing it wasn't myrtle beach last week
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2019, 09:46 PM   #10065
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchWolf34 View Post
It's been a pretty wild past 30 days with relation to this car.

First, I finally pulled the trigger and replaced my front bumper with the M Sport. Always loved the slightly more aggressive but still factory appearance of the M Sport. I finished off the look with a Seibon Carbon Fiber AK Style lip.

Went ahead and removed the 335i badge on the rear and love the clean style.

Before:
Attachment 2139149

After:
Attachment 2139150

I've got to give massive props to my local body shop for getting the M Sport installed while allowing my PDC to function since that was never an option on US Spec cars.

So, after reveling in the cosmetics for the last couple of weeks it was time to get the car ready for a weekend track event coming up. Aaaaannnd that's where it went south.

Long story short, I made a series of critical mistakes that I knew better than to tempt myself with and ended up causing a load of unnecessary work and something seemingly unrelated but poorly timed. This is my story:

1. I removed the DCI filters in order to clean them: First mistake is using DCI filters in the first place (but they sound neat so...).

2. I kept them outside of the car for the night and planned to keep them out for the next day to dry. Here is mistake number two: I should have just put the stock airbox back on for safety's sake - takes 2 minutes.

3. To make matters worse, I made the "brilliant" decision to stuff two microfiber rags into the intake ducts. Why? mostly because I'm a moron who thought it would help keep contaminants out. I know it was silly to do for just 24 hours.

4. I then closed the hood thinking, "there's no way I'll be dumb enough to turn this car on tomorrow." OOOOOOoooo was I wrong. I even left the filters next to the car to remind me.

5. The next day, around 11am I moved the filters outside as it was a nice day and the sun could maybe help out with the drying process. Thought nothing more.

Then, I sat on my garage couch (yes it's awesome and everyone should have one) while my son played outside. I looked up and decided that I should move one of my shop lights in order to get better lighting under the hood. Well, guess what, my car was in the way.

6. Again, thinking nothing of it and without my filters in the way to remind me, I quickly hopped in the car to back it up from the garage a bit to make room. Never even registered to me due to my absentmindedness.

Moved the light, climbed off the ladder to pull the car in, turned and looked and the car and my jaw dropped, my eyes popped out of my head, and I yelled, "OH GOD, OH NO!" as I realized what I had done.

As I popped the hood I prayed that some sort of miracle would have kept the car from sucking the rags through the intakes and into my turbos. Luckily, the rear inlet didn't manage to pull the rag past the first bend. It was caught before it could fall behind the engine. This was unbelievably lucky as it would've been the hardest to deal with. I was able to pull a fully intact rag out with a long pliers.

I looked at the front intake and no such luck. I couldn't see the rag and feared the worst. So, I started at the task of pulling off the front inlet. As I removed the radiator fan I cracked the small vent hose for the coolant expansion tank...lovely, but the least of my worries.

When I got the intake duct off, I couldn't see any ripped pieces of cloth in the turbo or at the end of the tube. This was great news and I pushed a snake through the intake and felt the other cloth!! Turns out, both stock inlets are so unbelievably tiny that they couldn't pull the rag into the turbo - it made it past the first bend but got stuck where the duct flattens. I was able to coerce it out with some compressed air and pliers.

So, unbelievably relieved that I hadn't caused any real issues, (remember, track weekend beginning on Saturday) I put it back together.

New vent hose, intakes back on, ran the bleed procedure, and turned over the engine. All good....until the RPMs dropped to idle...

Suddenly I heard a horrible...clicking...banging? Not sure the proper word but it sounded like a left a bolt in the fan shroud and it was smacking the bolt around. But, I hadn't done that. Everything was back in place properly. I listened for a moment and turned the car off. Turned the car back on and the sound was gone...then the RPM dropped to idle and the sound came back but quieter this time. Turn car off, call my buddy who is a mechanic. He believed the sound to be the HPFP and that's exactly where the sound seemed to be coming from. I got off the phone with him and went to listen to the sound again...but it never came back - sounded good as always. By the way, no long crank or any sort of issues at all. He said that confirmed his suspicions of the HPFP.

It seemed so random and coincidental...to confirm or deny is HPFP accusation we did some logs. Sure enough, the high pressure was dropping off significantly after 4,000 RPM even under load. It did reach 3,000 PSI, but then it immediately fell to 1,900 PSI. So, I two-day shipped an HPFP and now I get to complete that job in preparation for the weekend. Luckily, it looks like a pretty easy swap.

Oh yea, my M3 Cowl cabin filters were the originals so I changed those out and realized that the mounting screws had stripped out the holes. So, I took some dry wall anchors, hammered them into the holes and cut off the tops. Worked like a charm and the screws bite perfectly now.
What add on lip is on the bottom of your m-sport bumper?
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2019, 09:51 PM   #10066
colorado.e9x
eBay Special
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 330xi

Garage List
2007 BMW 328xi  [9.50]
2006 BMW 330xi  [10.00]
Somehow fixed my ashtray LEDs. Don't know how. Also adjusted the brightness of the dash lights
      09-12-2019, 10:52 PM   #10067
gamesfrager
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i

Replaced the bottom rubber 'seal' on my rear windshield, and replaced burnt halo bulb.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2019, 07:46 AM   #10068
Soden82
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Right black grill flew off on the highway last night. Tabs on the actual bumper are toast so going to glue to stock chrome ones back on while I try to source a new m-sport bumper
Attached Images

MHD tuned
VRSF Race IC
DCI
ATM exhaust
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2019, 04:32 PM   #10069
RealJ22
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 CT200h Cayman Boxster RC

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Sold my Fender, Front bumper, Rear bumper and Finally bought my final missing piece. The M3 replica front bumper.

Appreciate 0
      09-13-2019, 06:52 PM   #10070
vilord
Major
Rep
Drives: E91, Tundra, TT, SV650

Garage List
Swapped the aluminum dash parts back to wood grain, guess to each their own, but I don't like the alu look.

Swapped in the LCI hvac controller I had on the shelf. I like how it lets me adjust the fan while still keeping it in auto mode, and i prefer the seat heat buttons on the hvac control.

Prepped the LCI right headlight I've had on the shelf: removed lens, scraped out RTV silicone that previous owner had slathered in there, and that leaked. Soldered right LCI front turn signal. Discovered that I had lost the 3M rubber rope sealant I was going to use to reassemble the light, so ordered another. Hopefully will be here Sunday so I can install it when I replace the radiator support and install the sensor for active cruise
Appreciate 1
      09-14-2019, 05:24 PM   #10071
K9Leader
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 328ix E91, 2011 128i E82

Garage List
2011 BMW 128i  [10.00]
2010 BMW 328i  [10.00]
Brake Pad Wear Sensor - Gone!

My rear brake pad wear sensor light came on yesterday. Funny, because I know the pads are nowhere near done. I pulled the wheel to investigate and saw this:

Not sure what caused that but . . . oh well. I do have rotors, pads, and a new sensor wire on the garage shelf but what is on the car right now is still good. I just went ahead and did the bypass mod and will save the new sensor wire for when I actually do the new brakes. Used one of those heat shrink connectors with the solder inside, shrunk it on, then covered everything with some regular heat shrink tubing, bent the end of that over and taped it. Zip tied it in place (actually redid it from the pic below and ran the wire along the support so it isn't near the strut, but didn't get a pic of that).

Reset the code in Carly and it took me a couple of tries to reset the light but got it done. I know that the wear sensor thing is good for people that don't pay a lot of attention to their cars but it is kind of a pain when it malfunctions.

K9Leader
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2019, 06:14 PM   #10072
OnlyDriveGerman
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi Coupe 6MT

Have a 328xi. Had some power loss, checked it out on Carly. Had code 0054C6, transfer case fluid. Gave it a test drive after the fluid change and it was still driving poorly. It sat for a half a day, and when driving it to work the next morning, I was happy to see it was driving perfect! Still have the code though so I'm not sure how to tackle that.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2019, 06:29 PM   #10073
jayden335i
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i e90

Please Help

Change the crankshaft position sensor but unfortunately my 2008 bmw 335i continues to have a long crank and stall sometimes. I don’t know what the problem is, perhaps the crankshaft position sensor is not in place all the way. Anyway it’s a struggle for my 16 y/o self.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2019, 06:51 PM   #10074
unrulyteach
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayden335i View Post
Change the crankshaft position sensor but unfortunately my 2008 bmw 335i continues to have a long crank and stall sometimes. I don’t know what the problem is, perhaps the crankshaft position sensor is not in place all the way. Anyway it’s a struggle for my 16 y/o self.
Check hpfp?
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2019, 06:53 PM   #10075
unrulyteach
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Ride height after b8/hr with m control arms
Attached Images