E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > Alex's 335i Build

09-19-2019, 03:34 PM   #67
Chris1337
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 e92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap485 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by weehe126 View Post
What did you do with the old kit?
It still on the car but will be for sale once I get new one.
Bouta say you got a turbo farm or something haha
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2021, 11:46 AM   #68
timmv98
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 135is

Hey Alex,

Mind giving us an update? Were you able to achieve successful boost control with Speedtechs external wastegate turbo kit?
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2021, 05:06 PM   #69
tqylor
Private
Rep
Drives: e92 335i N55 M sport 6MT

The power gap between n54's and n55's are definitely closing!
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2021, 10:12 AM   #70
wheela
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X1 35i M-sport

OP, looks like you haven't logged on since shortly after your last post, but if you see this, how did you test holding your wastegate open?

I'm not getting there with the stage 3 head porting explanation for the overboost. The DME is load based, so it will calculate an air flow target and try to acheive it. With your head, you'll get more flow per psi, but your DME will see the extra flow and use the throttle plate (and/or boost target) to keep air mass entering the engine on target - regardless of actual boost. So with the right mass of air into the engine, you'll have what the DME expects for exhaust flow out of the engine. So your wastegate should be keeping up.

I could understand some boost creep at very high power levels, but with 0% WGDC% at mid-rpm's, I have a tough time understanding this level of boost creep on a stage 3 turbo whose wastegate should flow exhaust waaay better that the stock unit.

I know you tested your wategate, but it really sounds like your wategate isn't opening. I can't imagine this would have been overlooked, but did your bigboost kit have a traditional wastegate actuator (ie normally closed, opened with boost pressure)? As I'm sure you know, the oem boost control uses a normally open vacuum actuated wastegate. So unless you were plumbed for, and running an external boost controller, this could explain your WGDC% going to zero, as the DME is trying to open the wastegate. Only with a conventional wastegate connected to the stadard oem boost control plumbing, it would still be closed with 0% WGDC. It wouldn't even open at spring pressure, as your boost solenoid at 0% duty cycle would vent the WG actuator to atmosphere vs. pressurize it with boost from the manifold. The only way it would open is if exhaust pressure pushes it open.

Anyways, just sharing my thoughts on the matter. If you're still around, sweet engine build! I hope you got your issue sorted.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2021, 07:30 PM   #71
zw335i
Rep
Drives: 2013 Bmw 335i

setups looking great sofar, can't wait for the final result!
Appreciate 1
E92only82.00
      12-23-2021, 07:22 PM   #72
BimmerHausPerformance
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i 6MT

Garage List
2011 BMW 535i  [0.00]
Sub'd

2011 F10 S55 6MT
Website Insta @bimmerhausperformance YouTube
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2022, 05:15 PM   #73
ap485
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmv98 View Post
Hey Alex,

Mind giving us an update? Were you able to achieve successful boost control with Speedtechs external wastegate turbo kit?
Yes, external wastegate is the way to go on pwg cars with big turbo.
      01-04-2022, 06:20 PM   #74
ap485
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheela View Post
OP, looks like you haven't logged on since shortly after your last post, but if you see this, how did you test holding your wastegate open?

I'm not getting there with the stage 3 head porting explanation for the overboost. The DME is load based, so it will calculate an air flow target and try to acheive it. With your head, you'll get more flow per psi, but your DME will see the extra flow and use the throttle plate (and/or boost target) to keep air mass entering the engine on target - regardless of actual boost. So with the right mass of air into the engine, you'll have what the DME expects for exhaust flow out of the engine. So your wastegate should be keeping up.

I could understand some boost creep at very high power levels, but with 0% WGDC% at mid-rpm's, I have a tough time understanding this level of boost creep on a stage 3 turbo whose wastegate should flow exhaust waaay better that the stock unit.

I know you tested your wategate, but it really sounds like your wategate isn't opening. I can't imagine this would have been overlooked, but did your bigboost kit have a traditional wastegate actuator (ie normally closed, opened with boost pressure)? As I'm sure you know, the oem boost control uses a normally open vacuum actuated wastegate. So unless you were plumbed for, and running an external boost controller, this could explain your WGDC% going to zero, as the DME is trying to open the wastegate. Only with a conventional wastegate connected to the stadard oem boost control plumbing, it would still be closed with 0% WGDC. It wouldn't even open at spring pressure, as your boost solenoid at 0% duty cycle would vent the way it would open is if exhaust pressure pushes it open.

Anyways, just sharing my thoughts on the matter. If you're still around, sweet engine build! I hope you got your issue sorted.
I understand how the oem wastegate works and I agree with your explanation but that was over two years ago and I barely remembered how it was tested. However, the shop tested as Bigboost requested and they mentioned that the internal wastegate was max out so, they provided a fix but it didnÂ’t work. Bigboost concluded that the only solution was to go external wastegate in my case.
      01-05-2022, 05:43 PM   #75
wheela
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X1 35i M-sport

Thanks for responding, I hope that speedtech kit is working well for you!
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2022, 07:17 PM   #76
ap485
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheela View Post
Thanks for responding, I hope that speedtech kit is working well for you!
It’s a really good kit. I have had zero issues since installed. The problem now is traction. I’m about to pull trigger on a LSD.
      02-03-2022, 11:32 AM   #77
Dinocrest
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 335i M-Sport

Garage List
Hey Alex, Glad to hear the car is running well!

I was wondering how did the trans work out for you. Specifically in daily drivability.

And do you daily the car or is it at least possible to daily the car like this?
Appreciate 0