E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > E9x retrofit f30 automatic shifter

09-17-2020, 10:35 AM   #1
905SlowE92
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW E92 328I

Garage List
E9x retrofit f30 automatic shifter

(POSTED ON GENERAL PAGE, THOUGHT DIY FORUM WOULD HELP TOO)
I know I know, it's an automatic..... BUT WHO CARES
I really wanted to update the look of my interior and I was looking around on Mashimarho and saw the F30 shifter. Beautiful, sleek, modern and most importantly EASY to install. On the site I also saw that one person removed the entire automatic boot (leather boot with plastic trim around) and replaced it with a manual boot. Me personally I did the same because why have the automatic trim say PRND and the LED shifter say the same thing as well, kind of redundant in my opinion...BUT to each their own I ordered the manual M performance alcantara boot from Turner Motorsport and the F30 LED shifter retrofitted for the E9X chasis from Mashimarho. (links below)

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-3...ion-alcantara/

https://mashimarho.com/collections/b...ifter-with-led

The DIY was simple, some YouTube channels unplugged their battery, but I spoke to Sean of Mashimraho through DMs on Instagram and he said that I didn't need to.

I turned the car on to accessories and pulled my hand brake and [B]shifted into drive[B] and then turned off the car. (The key in ignition beeping sound will beep at you through out the entire process) I had to put in drive because the shift knob is "locked" when in park but when you put it into drive the shift knob, with a decent upward pull came right off. Once shift knob is off you can wiggle the boot off with the plastic trim easily with a couple of tugs. I used the leather part of the boot to go through the middle and tug around the inner edges. Once boot is off and hanging on to the wire harnesses use a flat head (smaller the better) and remove the harnesses from the boot harness on both sides by pushing down on the harness cover hole where there is a tab to push in and pull out the harness.

Once removed take the unconnected wires from the new shifter and connect according to the wire colours on the OEM harnesses. Once connected I took the manual boot and put it in place (not fully clipped in so I can test it out) and placed the new shifter into place. I recommend turning on the car, shifting into all positions and turning on your headlights to see the LED portion of the shifter works as well. That's it
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-13-2020, 09:46 PM   #2
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

Plenty of this on EBay for like $100 or so....
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2020, 03:24 PM   #3
905SlowE92
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW E92 328I

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by feuer View Post
Plenty of this on EBay for like $100 or so....
YES there are plenty of ones on ebay, but you get what you pay for. Here are some of the reasons why I opted with Mashimaraho over ebay or amazon

1. Read multiple reviews of people using the Ebay versions and got back fitment issues, error screens, quality of the actual shifter being horrible and even some where the harnesses and wires being crappy and not working or fitting

2. Ebay ones came with a "P" on the top for the parking button this one doesn't

3. Spoken to a person with the Ebay shifter told me he got random lights and error codes popping up on his dashboard and sometimes the lights wouldn't be on on the actual shifter.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2020, 04:47 PM   #4
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 905SlowE92 View Post
YES there are plenty of ones on ebay, but you get what you pay for. Here are some of the reasons why I opted with Mashimaraho over ebay or amazon

1. Read multiple reviews of people using the Ebay versions and got back fitment issues, error screens, quality of the actual shifter being horrible and even some where the harnesses and wires being crappy and not working or fitting

2. Ebay ones came with a "P" on the top for the parking button this one doesn't

3. Spoken to a person with the Ebay shifter told me he got random lights and error codes popping up on his dashboard and sometimes the lights wouldn't be on on the actual shifter.
yours is exactly like those sold on Ebay and Amazon. Mashimaraho certainly doesn't manufacture them. Probably doing drop shipment. I got one from Ebay, just like yours, $109 delivered from China and works beautifully.
Appreciate 1