E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Series 10 Injectors, when were they released?

08-06-2021, 03:23 AM   #1
Karl_T
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 330i

Series 10 Injectors, when were they released?

Hello all, I've just had a narrow escape, thank goodness for the 'Consumer Rights Act'. So now I'm looking for another E92.

If I want to get one that will have later than series 10 injectors*, what model year/reg do I need to be looking for.

Ta

Karl_T

*So I don't have to replace 3 or six at a time.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2021, 10:41 AM   #2
jwilalex
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 318i LCI SE Business Edn

The original injectors on MY2009 were index 9 and I know index 11 were around 2014 so something in the middle of those two. Warranty replaced my originals with index 12 in Dec 2019 and as far as I know they are still the latest index.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2021, 10:47 AM   #3
Phil325i
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 325i MSport Coupe

Garage List
It's got nothing to do with the model or year. The injectors have been modified over the years and as they're replaced when they fail, they should be fitted with the latest version at that time.

As far as I know, the latest iteration for turbo engines is index 12 and for NA engines, index 11. The only way to tell which injectors are fitted is to inspect them. The index number is printed on the injector. You don't need to remove the injector to do this. Hope that helps.
E92 pre-LCI 325i - Ohlins R&T; H&R spacers; M3 strut brace; Swift thrust sheets; 3 x chassis braces; diff brace; N53 V-brace; 034 subframe inserts; BMS clutch stop; BMS CDV; RE g/box mounts; Delrin shift bushes; Saikoumichi OCC; Cyba scoops; BMW Perf Exhaust; HEL s/steel brake hoses; M3 rear spoiler; Recaro Sportster CSs; M3 white dash LEDs; LED Angels; LED side repeaters; BMW Perf black grille; CSL reps; SSDD carbon diffuser; Monster Wrap black roof/clear front
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2021, 11:29 AM   #4
Karl_T
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil325i View Post
It's got nothing to do with the model or year.
Surely its got everything to do with the year. Like you said injectors are replaced with what's current at the time. It stands to reason therefore they'd be built with whatever is current.

I'm trying to find out when index 10's came out as otherwise when you're stood in front of a used car and all I know is year of manufacture I've got no idea what lurks under the hood. And having faced a potential bill of £2,200 for six injectors and a NOX sensor N53s are looking way too risky.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2021, 05:35 AM   #5
Smokey33
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2009 Black 335i DCT FBO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl_T View Post
Surely its got everything to do with the year. Like you said injectors are replaced with what's current at the time. It stands to reason therefore they'd be built with whatever is current.

I'm trying to find out when index 10's came out as otherwise when you're stood in front of a used car and all I know is year of manufacture I've got no idea what lurks under the hood. And having faced a potential bill of £2,200 for six injectors and a NOX sensor N53s are looking way too risky.
There not that much. Paid 1400quid for 6 for my 335i.

Surely just buy 1 thats got some proof of them being done if your that worried. The year of the car isnt going to help.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2021, 07:21 AM   #6
Phil325i
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 325i MSport Coupe

Garage List
Quote:

I don't think you understood what I was saying. If you're on a used car lot looking at, say, a 2010 BMW there's no guarantee it will have 2010 injectors. In fact, given the issues there have been over the years it's very likely at least some of the injectors will have been replaced. The car you're looking at could have issue 10 injectors that were replaced last month for all you know. Which I why I said you need to read the issue number off the injectors...
E92 pre-LCI 325i - Ohlins R&T; H&R spacers; M3 strut brace; Swift thrust sheets; 3 x chassis braces; diff brace; N53 V-brace; 034 subframe inserts; BMS clutch stop; BMS CDV; RE g/box mounts; Delrin shift bushes; Saikoumichi OCC; Cyba scoops; BMW Perf Exhaust; HEL s/steel brake hoses; M3 rear spoiler; Recaro Sportster CSs; M3 white dash LEDs; LED Angels; LED side repeaters; BMW Perf black grille; CSL reps; SSDD carbon diffuser; Monster Wrap black roof/clear front
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2021, 08:33 AM   #7
bmwak
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 440i M-Sport Gran Coupe

Probably just echoing what is already said, but the age of the car is irrelevant to the whether it has index 11 injectors or not. Most cars have probably had injector issues by now, unless very low mileage cars which haven't visited the main dealer network much. These may still be sporting older injectors.

As an example I bought a 2007 325i recently (which wouldn't have Index 11 injectors as standard). I decided to take the engine cover off (which involves removing the scuttle panel too) to physically inspect the injectors. The part numbers are visible and the last two digits are the index number. I was reassured to find all six injectors in mine were index 11 and genuine BMW ones.

Without physically checking there is no way to know for sure.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2021, 10:12 AM   #8
Karl_T
Rep

One last try as nobody seems to quite understand what I'm trying to find out, or why.

Given:
a) Nobody is going to let me remove the engine covers to inspect.
b) I want to avoid pre-series 10 injectors to avoid having to replace entire banks should one be dodgy.
c) At some point BMW will have fitted series 10's from new.

I don't need to know exactly what series is under there, just that it won't be series 9 or earlier, given the MY.

It boils down to what year were series 10 injectors introduced.

Does anyone know?

Ta
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2021, 04:21 AM   #9
Silver Streek
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 325d E91

You mean what year of car were they factory fitted.

Maybe email BMW direct and ask their technical department if that is possible. Then at least you will know what year cars to look from.

Or just skip the Ex series and move on to the FX series?
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2021, 07:14 AM   #10
Smokey33
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
One last try as nobody seems to quite understand what I'm trying to find out, or why.

Given:
a) Nobody is going to let me remove the engine covers to inspect.
b) I want to avoid pre-series 10 injectors to avoid having to replace entire banks should one be dodgy.
c) At some point BMW will have fitted series 10's from new.

I don't need to know exactly what series is under there, just that it won't be series 9 or earlier, given the MY.

It boils down to what year were series 10 injectors introduced.

Does anyone know?

Ta
These cars are a lot older than the revisions of injectors. They wont of fitted index 10 when they were new, the cars are too old.

Mines a 2009 and had Index 5 from new.

You're not getting it. Either get them to lift the engine cover and look, or get one with proof on paperwork.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2021, 12:05 PM   #11
0l0dom0l0
First Lieutenant
Rep

Mine is a late 2007 build and had the recall done in May 2010 for injectors, and I'm on index 9.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2021, 01:06 PM   #12
Chapperss
I only ride park
Rep
Drives: e93 335i Msport FBO 2+

Quote:

*So I don't have to replace 3 or six at a time.
I feel this statement has been overlooked. . It`s been proven time and time again you do not need to replace a whole bank when replacing a faulty injector.

I`ve done the research, by using the search function (thank me later), and it`s quite clear this early requirement from BMW has been proved not necessary time and time again.

Apart from that, as nobody has asked the question before, maybe do what Silver suggested and Email BMW direct and let the community know the answer!

FYI - I have a N54 and no clue what injectors it has in it - really was the least of my worries when looking at the car.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2021, 03:08 PM   #13
Karl_T
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapperss View Post
I've done the research, by using the search function (thank me later), and it`s quite clear this early requirement from BMW has been proved not necessary time and time again.
I've also been searching extensively and not found anything to support mixing pre and post rev 10's in a bank, and the independent garage who checked the one I bought said 'Don't' even though by saying that he knew he was pretty much ruling out him getting any further work.

It seems the consensus is the fixed injectors post date the E9x series though. Helpful, but not good news.

Thanks all.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2021, 07:08 AM   #14
0l0dom0l0
First Lieutenant
Rep

For what its worth I've also read people having issues with index 11 injectors.

I purchased an N53 powered 330i 18 months ago, having been similarly concerned with all the issues that the forums plague them with. I actually purchased mine knowing it had a failed HPFP and NOX system but got it for a price I couldn't refuse.

There are a number of things to sort before replacing injectors from my experience. When I first got the car the cold starts were awful. I pulled the manifold, walnut blasted the intake values which were surprisingly dirty for 35k miles, replaced the HPFP, updated the DME, replaced all plugs, coils, registered a new NOX cat and re set all the adaptions.

I also repaired the NOX sensor for £40 instead of the £350 for a new sensor.

The car has been fault free apart from the NOX aging code returning. Okay occasionally I get the odd stumble but it is nothing to worry about.

My point being that there are a number of things before it comes to replacing the injectors. If a lot of the time the car has been running with NOX faults for, the long term injector trims do not re adapt and it can create an illusion that the car is misbehaving when actually a simple fix of the NOX issue and a complete adaption and re learn is sufficient.

The car has been the best I've ever owned, far better than the N52 predecessor I had which had it's own issues.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2021, 04:26 PM   #15
Karl_T
Rep

Interesting but too much work and expense I think for me.

In the end I've bought an '07 N52 325i. We'll see how it goes.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2021, 05:15 PM   #16
Smokey33
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Interesting but too much work and expense I think for me.

In the end I've bought an '07 N52 325i. We'll see how it goes.
Very hard work asking for a piece of paper.
Appreciate 0