E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Another sports seat retrofit question

08-21-2021, 09:50 AM   #1
Zimzimmer91
Rep
Drives: BMW E91 Touring

Another sports seat retrofit question

Sorry to post yet another question on this topic but I can't find anyone in my situation who's attempted it.

I've got basic seats with no electronics other than seatbelt. No heated seats, no power anything.

I see a lot of people saying they need extra power and run cables to the fuse box but can't I use OEM cables? I see some listed on ebay that go from the seat connector out to the loom but no idea what would be needed beyond that to make them OEM.

Is there a wiring diagram somewhere for OEM installs?
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2021, 02:32 AM   #2
DoJu3
Private
Rep
Drives: 10' BMW 328i Xdrive Sedan

I assume you already purchased the seats? if so probably too late but the easiest way to do this is by buying seats with the same options as the ones you already have so its just plug and play.

I don't know if all the harnesses are the same, but I do know that some cars have all the options already installed and all you need is to run wires from the factory loom plug to get power to the seats.

If the sport seat has a different connector or different wiring I would get a used harness that matches what's already on your car, that way you don't splice the factory connectors.

So it would look like this... loom from the car--->used ebay harness---> sport seat connector.

Between the used harness and connector you will need to run/test each wire until you find the one that can deliver power to all functions on the sport seat.

Also if is an LCI sport seat to pre-lci the LCI seats have airbags on them, I suppose as long as you don't run power to the air bag wire you won't have to worry about that.

Look through these threads, the concept is the same, if the sport seat harness is different than the one already on your car it can be rewired, it all depends on how comfortable you feel splicing/testing wires one by one.

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1522749

https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?p=24035353

This is me just making assumptions. It would be easier if I knew what years is your car and what year are the seats from.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2021, 05:34 AM   #3
Ali-E90
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 323i (Cdn)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [8.00]
2007 BMW 323i  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoJu3 View Post
I assume you already purchased the seats? if so probably too late but the easiest way to do this is by buying seats with the same options as the ones you already have so its just plug and play.
Sports seats have power bolsters, so even if you get manual sport seats without heat, you still need to find a way to get power to the harness for the bolsters to work. Manual non sports seats don’t have this adjustment, and thus don’t have the power already available in the harness, at least that’s what I understand.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2021, 12:08 PM   #4
Zimzimmer91
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoJu3 View Post

I don't know if all the harnesses are the same, but I do know that some cars have all the options already installed and all you need is to run wires from the factory loom plug to get power to the seats.

If the sport seat has a different connector or different wiring I would get a used harness that matches what's already on your car, that way you don't splice the factory connectors.

So it would look like this... loom from the car--->used ebay harness---> sport seat connector.

Between the used harness and connector you will need to run/test each wire until you find the one that can deliver power to all functions on the sport seat.

Also if is an LCI sport seat to pre-lci the LCI seats have airbags on them, I suppose as long as you don't run power to the air bag wire you won't have to worry about that.

Look through these threads, the concept is the same, if the sport seat harness is different than the one already on your car it can be rewired, it all depends on how comfortable you feel splicing/testing wires one by one.

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1522749

https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?p=24035353

This is me just making assumptions. It would be easier if I knew what years is your car and what year are the seats from.
Thanks, that gives me a little hope

It's an '06 pre-LCI 330d touring and the donar seats are also from an '06 pre-LCI 330d touring with the same idrive version so I'm hoping it should be fairly straightforward.

I think my main concern was that most people at least seem to have heated seats. I've no idea what would be involved to add that element if it's even possible. I'd assume it would need to be coded in at the very least, though I plan to get a K+DCAN usb cable and use bimmergeeks protool to sort that if need be.

I won't get a chance to see if my stock loom (under the carpet) has the connectors for all of this until I'm actually changing the seats so we will see. I'd assume not but who knows. Maybe all I would need is that short loom from the seat.

I'll post progress or any useful info as I go. In the mean time I'll go through those threads and see what info I can put together.

Can powered sports seats be moved back and forth without power?
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2021, 01:04 PM   #5
whyzee125
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Dinan stage 2 335i

Unless manual seats are a deal breaker, I would just swap the cushions onto yours so you'll have manual sport seats.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2021, 02:08 AM   #6
Zimzimmer91
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by whyzee125 View Post
Unless manual seats are a deal breaker, I would just swap the cushions onto yours so you'll have manual sport seats.
I'm handy with wiring so rather have full use of the seat if I can
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2021, 02:15 PM   #7
BB_cuda
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D Msport, 2013 X5D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimzimmer91 View Post

Can powered sports seats be moved back and forth without power?
I had to do this in the junk yard one time to get the power sport seats unbolted. They will only move with power wired to the motor(s). There were 4 motors and I hot wired to all of them. Of course it was the last of 4 motors that moved them forward and back. I used a portable tool 12V battery and jumper wires.

I would find a car in junk yard that came with powered sport seats and get the under the carpet wiring. There will also be buttons on dash for turning heaters on. You would have to investigate the wiring needed to operate the buttons as well. The 328i sport that i worked on is long gone so no chance of getting it's wiring. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2021, 05:43 PM   #8
Zimzimmer91
Rep

Yeah I thought that might be the case. I guess bare minimum then I'll need to tap 12v for that until I find a proper loom or way to run a new loom.

Again, I did manage to get the wiring from the seat connector to the main cabin loom but whether my car has cabling beyond that I've no idea.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2021, 08:12 AM   #9
Zimzimmer91
Rep

So I got the driver seat in, works beautifully. No heat yet as not got the switch panel (and fully expect I'll need to code that) but most of the wiring for that is done.

The driver's seat just needed x2 power and x3 ground cables and KCAN H+L. I tapped KCAN from the idrive knob and ran the cables under the centre console and under the carpet. The power runs to the fusebox.

Power is in place for the passenger seat, I just need to work out where PWM goes, though the passenger seat module DOES have KCAN so don't know if I should hook that up instead?
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2021, 07:46 AM   #10
Zimzimmer91
Rep

Got the passenger side hooked up and connected to KCAN as actually, there wasn't even a PWM wire in the connector on the seat so I guess in the case, it's all controlled by KCAN.

I made a stupid mistake though and didn't connect the seat occupancy pins so got the classic "restraint system malfunction" on the head unit. I think this means I'm in for some coding now. Wonderful 🙄

Does anyone know the steps or how easy/difficult it is? Maybe I should take this over to the coding subforum?
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2021, 07:48 AM   #11
Zimzimmer91
Rep

I might add, you can run KCAN cables up the side of the centre console and into the idrive controller bay with a wire puller (in my case a long cable tie) but it IS a complete ballache. Easier I think to remove the centre console looking back.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2021, 02:22 PM   #12
urseppos
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche 911, VW GTI, BMW 318ti

Sport Seats

Quote:
Originally Posted by whyzee125 View Post

That can be done ? I just purchased a set of powered sport seats for my newly purchased wagon (non sport seat/manual) and I didn't realize all the drama involved with the swap. To add the sport seats are very heavy.

What's involved in the cushion swap and will the heating element still work thereafter ?
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2021, 11:18 AM   #13
whyzee125
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Dinan stage 2 335i

I've never done in on an e90 but I've seen it done with sport > sport in a different color or non sport > non sport. I would assume the seat frames are the same but can't be sure. It's very easy on other cars and I've heard it's easy on e90s too.

Never removed e90 seats so not sure on the heating but I'm sure it can all transfered over
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2021, 06:07 PM   #14
Serf27
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 335i

The sport seats have the lower thigh support that slides in/out.
I’m not sure if base model seats have the provisions for these.

You can code out the seat occupancy sensor, but passenger airbags will automatically deploy in the even of an accident.

You could probably pull 12v power from your cigarette lighter and power the seats that way with an inline fuse.
Appreciate 0