E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Multiple Electrical system failures

10-04-2021, 07:34 AM   #1
cbyrne
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 328i

Garage List
2011 328i  [0.00]
Multiple Electrical system failures

Hoping someone can save me from drowning here,

I've got a '11 328i xDrive that greeted me with a dead battery this morning

I jumped it and discovered that i could not get the headlights to turn off.

Also discovered upon jumping was the red vehicle-on-a-lift indicator, signifying "headlights and brake lights functional, all other lighting systems failed" or something to that effect.

Window motors don't work, door ajar indicator lights up when driving, turn signals don't work

This definitely feels like a dealership trip. In the meantime I'm thinking that I'll remove the fuse for the low beam headlamps, jump the car again and hope that I can get the battery to keep a charge

Anybody got any better ideas?

LCI 328i xDrive | 3-stage IM | AA catless headers | Turner Motorsport tune | 330i muffler retrofit | APEX EC-7 18x8.5 et35 square | Michelin PS A/S4 235/40-18
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2021, 08:15 AM   #2
Hoody007
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i ZMZ LCI | 850i/6

It's getting cold out. Sounds like a dying battery - how old is it?

Your symptoms are inline with a dying battery - the car will prioritize safety systems (lights) above all else.
Appreciate 1
cdgatti254.50
      10-04-2021, 08:18 AM   #3
mapleleaf1773
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328i XDrive

Garage List
+1 replace your battery. That should fix it. If not, report back.
Appreciate 1
cdgatti254.50
      10-04-2021, 08:21 AM   #4
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Oh no, this sounds like you FRM went. When my FRM went I had the same "lightning system error" and pretty much 100% same symptoms. Driver open door ajar/warning, windows wouldn't work, zero lights worked, no indicators etc. Did not happen from a jump start though, happened after resetting my windows. But still I would see a jump start screwing it up with reading online about all the FRM issues..

Easy way to check is to scan the car with ISTA and you will see if the module is red or green.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2021, 10:47 AM   #5
cbyrne
Private
Rep

Garage List
2011 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
Oh no, this sounds like you FRM went. When my FRM went I had the same "lightning system error" and pretty much 100% same symptoms. Driver open door ajar/warning, windows wouldn't work, zero lights worked, no indicators etc. Did not happen from a jump start though, happened after resetting my windows. But still I would see a jump start screwing it up with reading online about all the FRM issues..

Easy way to check is to scan the car with ISTA and you will see if the module is red or green.
Update: The car loses all charge after engine shutoff. Can only start on a jump.

I am throwing the following fault codes

• 2DEC DME power management, battery
• 2DED DME power management, closed circuit current violation
• CDAB DME receiver FRM LDM LM transmitter
• A3B4 Receiver instrument panel, transmitter footwell module
• A3C1 same as above
• A559 instrument cluster: power supply has been switched off (closed-circuit current cutoff relay)
• A6D4 JBE central locking relay, unlocking
• A6D5 JBE central locking relay, locking

Is it worth replacing the battery to see if that is indeed the issue?

LCI 328i xDrive | 3-stage IM | AA catless headers | Turner Motorsport tune | 330i muffler retrofit | APEX EC-7 18x8.5 et35 square | Michelin PS A/S4 235/40-18
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2021, 10:49 AM   #6
cbyrne
Private
Rep

Garage List
2011 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoody007 View Post

Your symptoms are inline with a dying battery - the car will prioritize safety systems (lights) above all else.
It's still in the low 80s Fahrenheit here and the battery has shown no signs of losing juice until today.

To your point though, the battery is at least 5 years old. I posted my fault codes, does anything stand out to you?

Appreciate 0
      10-04-2021, 10:59 AM   #7
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbyrne View Post
Update: The car loses all charge after engine shutoff. Can only start on a jump.

• A3C1 same as above
• A559 instrument cluster: power supply has been switched off (closed-circuit current cutoff relay)

I feel like your battery is due but the jump starting somehow may have fried your FRM (footwell module) as well from the error messages and the lighting behavior.

But I did read some bad batteries sometimes causes weird electric issues so hopefully it's that but I think I'd definitely get a new battery considering it doesn't start on itself (if you went for a long drive at least 30 minutes).

I don't like to do the "parts cannon" and not diagnosing things though so if I were you I would get the battery tested to confirm but yeah.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2021, 11:13 AM   #8
cbyrne
Private
Rep

Garage List
2011 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
Quote:

• A3C1 same as above

I feel like your battery is due but the jump starting somehow may have fried your FRM (footwell module) as well from the error messages and the lighting behavior.

But I did read some bad batteries sometimes causes weird electric issues so hopefully it's that but I think I'd definitely get a new battery considering it doesn't start on itself (if you went for a long drive at least 30 minutes).

I don't like to do the "parts cannon" and not diagnosing things though so if I were you I would get the battery tested to confirm but yeah.
Understood, just hoping to eliminate multiple repairs if only one is necessary

Appreciate 0
      10-04-2021, 11:44 AM   #9
Hoody007
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i ZMZ LCI | 850i/6

Quote:
Quote:

It's still in the low 80s Fahrenheit here and the battery has shown no signs of losing juice until today.

To your point though, the battery is at least 5 years old. I posted my fault codes, does anything stand out to you?
For what it's worth my original battery lasted nearly 9 years, so it could still be fine.

Are you able to view the battery voltage?
If it is the FRM, there's an extended warranty on it - here's the PDF from BMW:

https://bimmerscan.com/wp-content/up.../B012016-1.pdf
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2021, 12:49 PM   #10
djx
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Bmw e93 325d 2008

i had this and it needed a new frm module
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2021, 03:44 PM   #11
cbyrne
Private
Rep

Garage List
2011 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

For what it's worth my original battery lasted nearly 9 years, so it could still be fine.

Are you able to view the battery voltage?
If it is the FRM, there's an extended warranty on it - here's the PDF from BMW:

https://bimmerscan.com/wp-content/up.../B012016-1.pdf
Yeah I just called the dealership and my in-service date is 10y, 6mo out which means I'm past the extended warranty.

Any chance that my complaining to BMW of N.A. would yield any results? I'm well within the 150,000 mile limit. If it's a known issue then I'm thinking they might be willing to bend a little to help out a BMW loyalist

Appreciate 0
      10-09-2021, 08:36 PM   #12
cbyrne
Private
Rep

Garage List
2011 328i  [0.00]
It was the footwell module. I was out of warranty and needed my car back quickly so I bit the bullet and let the dealership replace it to the tune of ~$950.

Thanks to all who replied. Lesson learned - don't jump start an E9x

Appreciate 0
      10-10-2021, 03:17 PM   #13
Captain Buumer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 325D

Actually you can.

Just don't have other car engine running while doing it.

Essentially then you then have two batteries in parallel and your car uses them equally. Limiting factor here is how good of a connection you make with 2nd battery.

When other car engine is running and now you start your engine.
You create huge load into the other car battery/electrical system. Other car voltage will drop.
To compensate that generator full potential is used.

However once your engine is also running there will be voltage peak where both cars generators are on full potential.

Usually there is brief period here where sensitive electronics just die to over voltage. Most likely a cheap 3$ input regulator chip burns but BMW FRM is quite badly designed - hard to admit. It sometimes dies when you just disconnect/reconnect negative battery terminal. It's like they almost forgot to design protection circuit in some of them - Why not a simple zener diode to save thousands owners from replacing the module?
BMW technician with 20 year of bmw said just be warned, you might be here longer than simple sensor swap. FRM might not survive the battery disconnect.

It's no different to audis, volvos, kias. They will have also problems in similar conditions. In the old days when we didn't have SMD technology in electronics - sure, then you could be careless of how you jumpstart a car.

Modern cars require slight variation of it.

When the original battery died (pretty much instant once car was introduced to the colder weather) i carried 2nd 74ah battery around to jumpstart car once 100ah AGM arrived.
Appreciate 0